Author Topic: My Kalanchoe issue  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Tonya

My Kalanchoe issue
« on: Oct 03, 2007, 01:38:22 PM »
I have a kalanchoe that I bought at WalMart about a year ago. It bloomed a couple times, and stopped blooming. I am OK with that, but it has grown a tremendous amount since I bought it, and now it bends over unless supported. Am I doing something wrong? How do I fix this? It was only about 4 inches tall when I bought it, now it is about a foot tall.

standing up(supported)

Lying down(not supported)

« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2007, 01:42:43 PM by Tonya »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: My Kalanchoe issue
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2007, 02:06:12 PM »
Tonya, when my kalanchoe gets too tall for the pot, I always take cuttings off of it and plant them right in the dirt beside the mother plant to make it even bushier. They are very easy to "root"...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2007, 07:25:17 AM »
my big one that is the size of yours doesn't bend much anymore.  It has several large branches and I think that is what stops it from doing that.  But the bending is only the plant trying to get more sunlight.  If you use a florescent or an energy saving bulb over the top of it that will stop the problem.  And you'll probably have to do that anyway so you can get it to bloom next year. 

I think it is 10 hours sunlight a day for 90 days that it requires before it will bloom again next summer.  My blooms arer still hanging on this year so I guess it was one happy plant. 

But please check the info because I get directions confused sometimes. 

Offline Tonya

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »
Thanks you two. I may try moving it to the bathroom or another room where it gets more light. If we had a floor in my bedroom- it would probably do great in there. LOTS of light. Next summer I am gonna try it outside. What kind of temp extremes can they withstand?? Hmmmm.... off to Google land.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal