Author Topic: Bag-teria - IMPORTANT - Please Read!  (Read 5034 times)

Offline patches

Bag-teria - IMPORTANT - Please Read!
« on: Nov 15, 2007, 01:36:59 AM »
I saw they posted this at school in an effort to keep bag-teria out of the cafeteria.  I thought it was important enough to pass on to everyone.   ;)  Think about it!!!   :ScratchHead:

BAG-TERIA

A study was performed on women's purses. A health team went to a local mall and took samples from the bottom of 50 women's purses. The purses were swabbed with cotton swabs along the entire bottom of the purses and placed into special containers. The swabs were then processed at a local laboratory.

The Health Report also showed where women place their purses: public rest-rooms (on the floor beside the toilet), kitchen counters & kitchen tables, on tables & chairs in restaurants, etc. The results of the laboratory tests contained the following most serious result: 1 out of 4 purses - E COLI

Other extremely serious bacteria also were listed, including Hepatitis.

They recommended that women should DAILY wipe their purses (particularly the bottom) with a disinfectant wipe and to be extremely careful where you sit your purse. Most important, do NOT place your purse on a table (anywhere) where you will eat or on a kitchen counter and do not put it anywhere close to a toilet.

Remember, when you flush a toilet, the spray goes a distance that is unrecognizable by the human eye.

WASH YOUR HANDS as often as you can!  Keep an antibacterial hand sanitizer cleaner (no water needed) in your purse and use it often! And as soon as you get home from shopping (or wherever you have been and used your purse), immediately wipe it all over with a disinfectant wipe.

MEN who do not wash their hands after relieving themselves should be ASHAMED!  They a are seriously affecting your health and their own. Many men in public rest-rooms relieve themselves, zip up, and immediately leave the rest-room without ever washing their hands!!!   Many of the men who do wash their hands then grabs the door handle to exit the rest-room. So DAH!!!  All those other folks who did NOT wash their hands have their germs all over the door handle! And I have seen many women who do NOT wash their hands after using the rest-room. So, use that paper towel you dried your hands on to open the door and then dispose of it in the closest waste receptacle (DO NOT put it in your purse!).

None of this should come as startlingly new information to anyone, given where the typical purse carrier will unthinkingly place her handbag - the floors of public restrooms, at her feet in restaurants or on buses or subways, the floorboards of her car, the fold-out child's seat of shopping carts (where the diapered bottoms of little ones have likely been placed by the cart's previous users). Yet, while a great many folks do remember to wash their hands after being out in public and handling a variety of items, they tend not to think about sanitizing the handbags, briefcases, and backpacks they tote with them.

Here are some things you can do to decrease the likelihood of spreading illness with your pocketbook:

1.  Clean your purse, tote bag, briefcase and backpack regularly. If the item is not the sort of item that can be tossed into the washing machine with any hope of its surviving the process, scrub its outside with a soaped-up wet facecloth or take an anti-bacterial spray or disposable wipe to it. Don't forget to tend to its handle or strap as well as to its sides.

2.  Keep in mind that bacteria and viruses latch on far more readily in wet or damp environments than they do in dry ones, so if you set down your carry-all on a damp or wet surface, clean it once you're home, even if you only just washed it recently.

3.  Don't set down any of the above items on any surface where food will be prepared or eaten. That means keep it off tables and kitchen or break room counters. If you are in the habit of eating at your desk, don't place any of these items there.

4.  Remember all these items come into contact with most every surface your shoes tread on, so treat them accordingly. If you wouldn't place your sandals on the kitchen counter, don't drop your pocketbook there either.

5.  All the advice just given about purses and handbags applies to briefcases, bookbags and backpacks too. Your briefcase should also get a soapy wipe-down on a regular basis, as should your backpack. Both should also be kept off all surfaces where food is likely to be prepared or eaten.

While one might be tempted to regard the caution about bacteria-harboring handbags as being of interest to females only, males should also take it to heart with regard to their briefcases, as should high school and college students of both sexes in relation to their backpacks and book bags.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2007, 02:13:07 AM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Patty S

Re: Bag-teria - IMPORTANT - Please Read!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2007, 02:19:40 AM »
Yee Gads! :yikes: I've never thought of those things before! :eek: I don't put my purse on restroom floors, & I also use the paper towel to open the restroom door with... (I just hate those blow-dryer hand dryers that so many places have!) :mad2: But, I've never thought about other places I set my purse... like in the child seat of the grocery basket, & I NEVER wipe it down unless I set it down in something sticky! :Wacko:

Sounds like I've been carrying an epidemic around! :scaredy: I usually put my purse on the floor, next to my desk, but I think it's gunna live on the door knob from now on!

Thanx for the info, Patti. I think I'll copy it & send it to our school office, in case the staff hasn't heard this. (The parents might also need to know this, so they can help teach the kids to be more careful with their backpacks & lunch bags.)

Offline patches

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2007, 02:30:38 AM »
Hey, I think it's a good idea to send it to the school.  :idea: The notice they posted didn't mention grade school kids, but think of how many of them come home and put their backpack or bookbag on the kitchen counter or table.  I think I'll start taking my lunch to school and eating it in my car.  :idea1:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »
I don't carry a bag. My cash is in my pocket. But cash is a pretty dirty product all by itself. On the rare occasions that I do need a bag, I have a belly pack. It stays on me. I keep disinfectant wipes and hand cleaner in my car. I guess my car IS my purse.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2007, 11:21:48 PM »
Geesh, Tina, it sounds like we're two peas in a pod!  I rarely use a purse, and I always hated carrying them, :SmileyFit: but my mom felt it was necessary for women to have purses.  Fortuately, many years ago, my brother got me off the hook with mom and everyoone else!  :Yahoo: He was a policeman and once when I was going shopping for Christmas presents he told me not to take a purse.  He said even if you don't have any money in it, you could get seriously hurt if someone tried to grab it from you.  He also advised wearing pants or coats with pockets, then keeping your money in the pockets, NOT in your wallet where people can see all the cash when you're buying a lot of things at Christmas.   He said to use different pockets for different denominations, this way if you're buying something for $3.00 you don't pull out a wad of money where they can see the big bills. :idea:  Back then, I would wear jeans and put the $1's and $5's in my right front pocket, $10's in my left front pocket, $20's in the back left, and anything larger in the back right.  Of course, the back right pocket didn't get used very much at that time.  :smileyNo: Now, I have a check card, but I still use his reasoning for an excuse not to carry a purse.   :rofl1:       
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2007, 11:25:49 PM by patches »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2007, 11:23:36 PM »
I don't carry a pocketbook, either. I have enough to keep up with without having to keep up with that, too. I keep my money in my pockets, too, Patti...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:02:03 AM »
I stopped carrying when I realized I was the family pack horse; husband's glasses, daughter's snacks, son's matchbox cars, etc. Hardly anything of mine. Now I'm free! I don't like carrying cash in my back pockets of my jeans. To easy to pick. I do divide cash amongst my front pockets though. Grocery lists and notes go into the back. Pick em if you want but don't add to many items on there without paying your fair share.

MassMama

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2007, 06:21:46 AM »
I only carry one to work on the most part.. I carry a wallet in my jacket pocket .. Ohh and when I do carry it .. Its an epidemic as well  :laughmao: time to change pocket books and send this one to the cleaners  :Whis:

Offline patches

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
I don't like carrying cash in my back pockets of my jeans. To easy to pick. 

Well, Tina, with the "few" bills that would be folded in my back pocket  :rofl1: no one would even be able to tell there was anything in there, so I never worried about that happening.  :smileyNo:

christy

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »
 :yikes: yikes i never though bout all that either!  i carry a purse everywere i go!  n carry bout every thing in it,  you can get them small pump spray bottles to fill with a disinfective,   :ThumbUp:  those are good for public bathrooms!  :Vent:  people pee on the seats! n those paper cover just soak it up! yuk! now i know there good for my purse too  :ThumbUp:  :BigGrin:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2007, 02:08:13 PM »
OH ick...  I am adding disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer to my shopping list in purse sized containers...

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2007, 02:15:35 PM »
Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwww....i hadnt thought of alot of these, but i do always hang my purse on the back of the stall door!!

Offline patches

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2007, 02:06:53 AM »
Don't forget that most women will put their purse on the child seat of a shopping cart where a child may have just sat with a wet or dirty diaper!  :yikes:

MassMama

« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2007, 07:21:07 AM »
I never thought of that really either.. Thou my kids are usually in that seat..
I can understand everyone being a bit grossed out by this whole thought but contact with germs is also healthy, I know sounds weird but you do get a bit of an immunity to them everytime your in contact with them. Its kinda like the chicken pox vaccine you get a bit of the virus and it prevents you from getting the Pox.. Just something to think about.
The hand sanitizers are not really great for you. I was talking with a biochemists  and she told me to NEVER use them. they also remove your own germs that prevent you from getting colds ect.. Just something to think about.. :Whis:
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2007, 07:23:08 AM by Rita »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2007, 12:21:58 PM »
Yes, some germs are actually good for your immune system. If you have a normal functioning immune system. But some bio stuff has morphed into some dangerous stuff, even for healthy people. I am not obsessed with cleanliness and don't keep everything sterile. My kids even ate dirt on occasion. (Jonni was particularly fond of it) I don't worry a lot about it all. I do wash my hands fairly often because a cold or flu are not high on my list of favorites. And I like to keep my cooking surfaces fairly clean. I would hate to be the one to give my family something icky from my cooking.

Offline patches

« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2007, 06:49:57 PM »
this whole thought but contact with germs is also healthy, I know sounds weird but you do get a bit of an immunity to them everytime your in contact with them. Its kinda like the chicken pox vaccine you get a bit of the virus and it prevents you from getting the Pox.. Just something to think about.

Yes, I've heard that too, Rita, and it's true, so I'm okay with that!  Unfortunately, the Health Team that did this study also found some very gross other things :shock: on the bottom of the purses that were not even listed on the flyer posted at school.   :ScratchHead:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal