Author Topic: Houseplant wish list  (Read 3232 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Houseplant wish list
« on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:26:17 PM »
Which houseplants are on your wish list?

On mine is the vanilla bean orchid (Vanilla planifolia). I think it would be awesome to grow my own vanilla bean. :grinnnn:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Houseplant wish list
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:42:51 PM »
I have a couple of houseplants on my wish list, but I can't remember what they are right now. I will have to wait until I see them again and get my memory "jogged", I reckon.... ::)

One looks like little round balls on a vine tumbling out of a hanging planter. Teardrops, maybe? :unsure:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:48:35 PM »
Hmmm, never heard of that one, though it does sound neat.

Since the houseplant store closed in Eugene, I've had to try to get my houseplant "fix" at the big box stores, and let me tell you, that is just NOT cutting it. :thpullhairout:

Mike says it's like watching an addict go through withdraw. :Whis:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:59:13 PM »
Most houseplants at the big box stores aren't being taken care of. It is usually not the fault of the employees, though. The stores really don't expect the plants to keep living. They wanna sell more.... :Groaner:

That is why you don't find a lot of markdowns until the plants are nearly past reviving, too...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2007, 09:09:35 PM »
Oh, I have seen the one you are talking about Dianna but the name is beyond me right now as well.

I would enjoy a very large schefflera and a ficus as well.  I have a small schefflera and love it.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2007, 08:51:02 AM »
The problem with the vanilla bean orchid is it has to reach 10 feet in length before it will start to bloom and I believe it needs a humugous pot.  They like really rich soil. 

Until I researched them I wanted one too.  Now I know I'll have to wait until I have a heated greenhouse with a dirt floor built especially for the little darling. 

A friend in Malayasa got me started on orchids and I may have the addiction for the rest of my life lol.

I know which houseplant you are talking about Dianna but I have the same problem not knowing what it is called.  Something on a rope perhaps?

For me after I move if I have the right conditions for them I'd like to get a crown of thorns,  And some of the Double bloom kalanchoe maybe in yellow and a dark red if possible.  I have the orange and love it.

I still want to do an indoor landscape but moss is terrible expensive.  I'll have to see if I can grow some of my own.

I definitely want some of the Arabian Jasmine the something de orleans I thing is the one with the fullest bloom.  They are expensive though.

And I'm sure I'll add to my orchid collection as the years go by.  I haven't looked at them yet though.  Except for that bird orchid.  I've forgotten the name of it.  It comes from japan and has flowers that look like white birds in flight.  But talk about special conditions just to keep it alive woo howdy.  Right now I know it's more than I could handle.  But, maybe someday.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:08:15 PM »
Dianna do you mean string of pearls? They're cool. google pic S.O.P

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline patches

« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
I would enjoy a very large schefflera and a ficus as well.   

Triss, I used to have both those plants in my house and offcie, and I love them, too!  Of course, my favorite has always been the ficus tree, and I had a large one in my office that was beautiful!   :yesssss:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:44:04 PM »
Duh, I had read that about the vanilla bean orchid, and have saved him a spot in the perfect window. He can grow to his heart out, and still have room.  :ThumbUp:

Triss, your post reminded me...I have a 8 foot tall shefflera that I started with 7 years ago at 6 inches. With time and patience, I've grown him into a monster! :yesssss: I do that with most all my houseplants. I cannot spend a bunch on huge plants, but can buy a tiny start, or trade for a start. By doing that, my collection is now HUGE, and I have several that I really love. :grinnnn:

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2007, 05:29:59 PM »
I'd love one of those Hindu Rope hoyas.  They look so cool.  And I'd love to have my OWN baby toes (frithia pulchra or any fenestria) and lithops or any of the Mesembryanthemaceae's for that matter.  I bought Adam some baby toes for his work because I'm massively infatuated with them but I just don't have a spot for them here.  Unless we took down the mirror on our dresser in the bedroom but Adam loves looking at himself, so I don't see that happening anytime soon.  I'm not sure when the last time I looked in a mirror was...

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2007, 05:35:52 PM »
Wrennie, I am not sure it is String of Pearls. It looks sort of like it, but not exactly. But, you know my memory isn't all it is cracked up to be... :BigGrin:

The next time I see it, I will be sure to find out what it is...

MassMama

« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:36:45 AM »
perhaps Baby tear drops Dianna?
I would love to have one of them too
Along with a wondering jew
some more Pothos
I don't have a huge list but Everytime I go to the grocery store or some place like that I see a bunch I want to have

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2007, 09:54:18 AM »
I can second that.  I have to go very fast past that part of the store or I'm in big trouble. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal