Author Topic: XP?s Prefetch Directory  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Peggy

XP?s Prefetch Directory
« on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:20:42 AM »
One of the places I get newsletters (in email) from is Lockergnome.com.  I've been getting newsletters from this place for YEARS!  They are a very good resource to get help, etc. when it comes to all kinds of technology.

In a newsletter that came a few days ago was this good article.
I couldn't have written it any better myself, and because it saves time to copy and paste here, we go:

"XP?s Prefetch Directory
by Diana Huggins

Windows XP contains a directory known as Prefetch in which it stores files that are used to start Windows XP and other applications. By prefetching, Windows XP can read ahead into the cache the data that is expected to be requested (remember it’s much faster to read data from the cache). You can see overall how this prefetching can improve performance.

Over time some of the files within the Prefetch directory are no longer used. The result is that it can noticeably slow down your computer’s boot time. So what can you do? Open the run command and type is Prefetch. This takes you to the Windows\Prefetch directory. Once you are there, delete all the files within the folder (or at least those files that are more then two - three weeks old).

A word of caution, empty this directory too often can have negative results. Shoot for about once a month and you should be okay."

http://www.lockergnome.com
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: XP?s Prefetch Directory
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:33:26 AM »
Thank you so much, Peggy! I just did this to see if it will speed me up some. I have noticed that I haven't been as fast as I first was on the new computer, so can't wait to experience the difference...

:thx:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Peggy

Re: XP?s Prefetch Directory
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:38:24 AM »
Welcome

Sometimes, it helps a lot and sometimes just a little..
kind of depends on how badly you need yours cleaned out!

:) Hugs, Peg
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal