Author Topic: How many Ghosts to Haunt a House  (Read 6666 times)

biita

How many Ghosts to Haunt a House
« on: Jan 05, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »
How many ghosts does it take to haunt a house?  hmmmm i wonder.  Well i will tell you that my house is as haunted as haunted can be.  a little history of the house an where it sits.  The farm that i live on now is a family farm as far back as they can remember, but it always hasn't been in the family.  around the late 1700's the first of the family moved to this farm.  before that its been occupied by other people an families who have sure left their mark here on the farm.  I go more into that in another story but this one is about my house.  It was built 160 yrs ago.  it came to this farm in 1900 an was moved from another farm before that.  The house is so old that it still has the original room that was used to house the smaller animals on a farm back then.(incase weather was so bad they couldn't get to the barn) plus it helped in keeping the house warm.... Yes we have done alot of remodeling on this old house,, we now have hot water!!!  didn't when i first moved here.  we have a real bathroom too.  didn't when we first got here.  at one point in the history what is now my livingroom was a cafe back in the early 30's and 40's.  The woman (a cousin of the family) lived in this house, an had 5 children, to raise on her own, her husband was drowned at sea, (fisherman) she opened a cafe that supported her an i sometimes can feel her moving thru the livingroom doing her chores to open the cafe for the day.  I've seen her once is all.  but she is there.  Also after her came the Uncles, Ingvald an Johann.  What a pair.  They were my husbands great uncles an were also fisherman, both lived to be about 95 yrs old. but they lived in this house in the 70's.  Okay here is where it gets intresting.  My husband an i are the next to have moved into this house.  So as any new residents do, we explore all the cubby holes an secret places thru the house.  Now remember my husband grew up here, but never really got to play in the house.  We discover 4 wooden chests in a false wall of one of the bedrooms.  so out they come.  3 are easy to open an wow, all kind of old papers, glasses, sewing kits, material, an just a bunch of everyday living stuff is found in them,, but treasures none the least.  the 4th one we can't open an don't want to ruin the lock... the chests are that old.  so my husband is playing around making all kinds of differnt keys to use an nothing is working.  so i tell him try later, i'm going to go take a nap.  he kept at it... Stubborn Norwegians,,,lol.  well i go to bed, just for a short nap, an there before me in full living color is a little bald guy so short i thought it was a bald headed kid.  he just kept looking at me,, an shaking his head no.  so i said hello, who are you.  no answer.  i introduce myself.. no answer,,, just kept shaking his head no.  so i tell the ghost,, to hold on a sec while i get my husband,,,(i was not thinking,,,lol)  i get Kolbjørn, an tell him to come see this little man who is in our bedroom.  well the ghost is gone now.. so i tell him to go work on the chest maybe he will come back.  he did, an still shaking his head no... so i call my husband to come up, an as he comes to the top of the stairs he sees his uncle.  I about made him fall down the steps.  he says  Hei Onkle Ingvald,,, the ghost looks to him an shakes his head no.  so he askes him what do you mean no, your my uncle i know you.  so i ask him is there something you do not want us to do,,, ahhhhh we got a yes.  it was the chest.  it was his personal chest he took on the boats with him when he went to sea, an he didn't want us to open it.  so out of respect it sits here not opened, an the suspence when i look at it just kills me....lol.  but he's been back a few times,, i see him or feel him wandering thru the house. 

Offline patches

Re: How many Ghosts to Haunt a House
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:34:11 AM »
Geesh, Biita, as far as I now, it only takes one ghost to haunt a house. ;)  Boy, it sure sounds like you have more than your share of ghosts.  Actually, I've never been afraid of ghosts or spirits, but I guess that's because all mine have been good, friendly ghosts.  I'm not really sure I would want to live in a house that is haunted, but I don't have anyone to protect me.  :smileyNo:  Maybe it would be okay if someone lived there with me.   :ScratchHead:
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008, 07:36:44 AM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

biita

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:04:46 AM »
true,, it does only take one ghost to haunt a house,, (i'll send you a few to help get over the being alone part if you want,,,lol... won't even charge ya) lol,, but it does get crowded here now an then,, but they don't seem to all be here at the same time, and sometimes for days even weeks until i feel them again,,,,  these are friendly ghosts thank goodness for that.

Offline patches

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:59:30 PM »
Geesh, thanks, but no thanks!  :smileyNo:  I've got enough spirits here to keep me on the ball with things.  Of course, I don't seem to have near as many as you do, but maybe you just do a better job of recognizing them.  :dunno:  You certainly seem to have much more frequent contact with them. ;)   Fortunately, all of mine have been friendly or neutral, none have been scary or negative.  :smile:
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008, 05:01:43 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »
It takes three. Two to hold the sheet and one to say boo. Just kidding around girls.

I am really enjoying all these ghosts posts. Boy that house is full of history. No wonder you have so many ghosties.
I guess I would rile the spirits, because knowing me, I would have to open that chest.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008, 07:57:33 PM by Bonnie »
This is me ->?

Offline patches

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:42:11 PM »
Hey, Bonnie, that's a good one, you really got me laughing with your answer. :rofl1:  :laugh1:

I was thinking along the same lines about the history of the house.  :ScratchHead: I always felt I saw or felt more spirits in the house I grew up in.  It was an old, brick, big two-story house with huge rooms and high ceilings, but I don't know when it was built. :dunno:  Of course, maybe I had more contacts with the spirits because I was a child at the time and more accepting of them.  :unsure:  We sold the house at the end of my freshman year in high school.  Any thoughts on this?   :SmileyQmarks:
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008, 11:44:55 PM by patches »

christy

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2008, 05:00:53 AM »
biita
i wonder if its you or the house? some people just have that six sence or gift to see, n feel ghosts.  could be both.
like the lady who used to live were i now live, she use to see n talk to ghost all the time here, n her kids want nothing to do with this place because of the hauntings that happend when they lived here,  we use to think that there might be a porthole here, but as far as i lived here theres been nothing, n shes moved twice n the same things for her at her other two houses, she gets hauntings nomatter were she gose.

biita

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2008, 06:30:31 PM »
I think its me Christy, no matter where i go i see them, its like they seek me out.  Others have come to this house an don't see or feel anything.  I have walked into other peoples home who have no clue there is a ghost just standing around or walking past,, but i don't say anything,,, why upset whats already in their minds,,lol.

Offline patches

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »
some people just have that six sence or gift to see, n feel ghosts. 

Well, I think there's something to that Christy! ;)  I guess I've always thought of it as somewhat like a "third eye"!

I'm inclined to agree with you, Biita!  You've seen them at many different places and in several areas.  :Watching:  Besides, I believe that your open-mindedness would be very attractive to spirits; hence, they may be more likely to seek someone like you out.  :yesssss:   

« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2008, 11:55:30 PM by patches »

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2008, 11:40:30 PM »
Yes, Patches, you probably were more open to the spirits when you were a child. However an older house, in my opinion has a better chance of being haunted and by multiple spirits, because many people have probably lived there and many events have taken place.
This is me ->?

Offline patches

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2008, 12:01:27 AM »
Well, that certainly makes sense, Bonnie!  ;)   The more people who have lived in a house and the longer a house has been around, all the more things which could have happened in the house.  :wink5:  What do you think about the land being haunted, instead of the dwelling?  :unsure: 
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008, 12:06:13 AM by patches »

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2008, 12:10:15 AM »
I think that is highly possibly. In fact I think  my land is haunted.
This is me ->?

Offline patches

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2008, 12:51:50 AM »
Actually, I wasn't asking for my self but I was curious about this.  Some years ago, we had some friends who built a new house, and I remember they kept reporting strange happenings going on in their house.  We kinda thought at the time it was just from the newness of the house.  :dunno:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:03:56 AM »
With a new house built on the property, I don't see why they didn't consider that it was the land that was causing the problems, Patti. The land has been here since creation and a new house wouldn't have the past that the land would. Just my thoughts...

Biita, that is very interesting about the "box". Like you, the suspense would be killing me, though. I am surprised that you have refrained from opening it. If it is so important that someone that has passed has come back to tell you "no", though, I don't think you should ignore that. He may be warning you that it holds something not good for you to see or that it will cause problems. I would let the box be...
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008, 01:46:27 AM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline patches

« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:35:09 AM »
Dianna, maybe I didn't explain this right and don't know if I even can.  :dunno:  Actually, they were the ones who were suggesting something about the land being haunted, but we dismissed it as being silly.  :smileyNo:  Like I said, this was some years ago and it was my X (who was a carpenter) that suggested it was the newness of the house and it was just settling.  :razberry:  Of course, the only haunted houses I was familar with, at that time, were the ones they used to set up at Halloween!  :ScratchHead:
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008, 04:38:31 AM by patches »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:48:17 AM »
Well, Patti, new houses can settle and I know that. But, it would depend on what was happening before it could be blamed on the house, itself, wouldn't it? Sounds like another topic in the making...:wink5:
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008, 01:54:29 AM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline patches

« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2008, 04:36:42 AM »
Well, Dianna, I knew that houses could settle, and what he said actually kinda made sense to me at the time.  :unsure:  Of course, you have to understand that I didn't dare question things that were said either!  :smileyNo:  Hey, you have to remember, I came from the "Beaver Cleaver" era!   :SlapSelf:

biita

« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:32:06 AM »
I just been reading this, an i have to say i won't open the box,, it was his personal box, one that traveled all over the ocean with him as a sailor, i think he is just possesive of his items,,lol. 

I do believe land can be haunted,, think about how many millions of yrs of life has been in that land,, not just people but everything.  Also how many centuries or longer that someone passing by died there, got killed by an animal, maybe a nomad type villiage used that spot or area around the home as a hunting villiage or summer villiage.  never staying, just moving constantly.  even if the bodies were taken back to the town or villiage the event of death might have still occured there.  haunting aren't always about being attached to items but sometimes its the event or area that it happened in,,   

Offline patches

« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:02:18 AM »
Well, that makes a lot of sense to me, Biita! ;)   Do you think that's why there are so many stories about cemeteries being haunted?   :unsure:

biita

« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2008, 04:04:32 PM »
I think so Patti, when i think about it, a cemetary hasn't always been a cemetary, expecially in the states there, the country so young in comparision to other countries i mean.  but there has always been life there most likely at one point or another.  an who knows what has happened in those areas.

Offline patches

« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Well, Biita, it just always seemed to me that people are more willing to believe there are spirits/ghosts in cemeteries, rather than walking around among us!  :wink5:  Does that make any sense?   :unsure:

biita

« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »
It sure does,, an actually its the oppisite that is true,, i have been to cemetaries, an not seen a spirit at all.. then i have walked down the street an see a few all with in a few blocks.  shoot i got about 5 right here in this house,,,lol,, not a cemetary around for a few kilometers. or mile.

Offline patches

« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2008, 01:48:56 AM »
Geesh, Biita, I didn't mean to imply there were more spirits or ghosts in a cemetery than walking among us.  :smileyNo:  What I meant to say was that it seems that people seem to be more more comfortable talking about spirits or ghosts if they're associated with cemeteries.  Guess they feel it's okay to see dead people there or perhaps it's just a case of being more socially acceptable that way.  :dunno:  Don't understand why the subject is so taboo in our culture.   :unsure:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal