Author Topic: So do you Sew 6  (Read 20180 times)

christy

Re: So do you Sew 6
« Reply #75 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:04:32 PM »
 :ThumbUp:  thats a great idea too rita!  wrennie you could keep goimg with red colors or a bunch of diffrent colors

MassMama

« Reply #76 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:06:14 PM »
yep shades of the rainbow quilt would be Cool.. Or red white and blue and or your Fav.. a red quilt !!  :ThumbUp:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #77 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:27:32 AM »
:yikes: a whole throw! I had a hard time making that ONE square lay flat (almost) It has reds but is really more brown/tan looking. Maybe the blue chair is making it look redder. My first big throw/quilt is either going to be a denim one or one with my cat prints in it.
Also to make that square a big throw I'd have to buy fabric to finish it off. Trying not to buy anything right now.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

christy

« Reply #78 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:47:04 AM »
 :laughmao:  well it was a thought  :laughmao:
hey wrennie ya know i scrap quilt, i hardly ever buy fabric.  i use scraps from t-shirts, dress shirts n pants, dresses, dress jackets, sheets, whatever i get my hands on,  :grinnnn:  you dont have to buy fabric to make a quilt,  sometimes i get the 1-2bucks a yard at wall mart or hit the goodwill sales,  mostly its hand me downs from family or going through my kids clothes n what they dont want anymore or never wear.

your denim ones gonna look great,  :ThumbUp:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #79 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
Finished up a project today.  I bought 1/2 yard of two kinds of fleece (orange and black, school colors) and am in the process of making the lil ones scarves.  I finished two and have two more to go.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

christy

« Reply #80 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »
 :ThumbUp:  looks great triss! your kids will be proud to wear them,  mine love wearing their school colors

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #81 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:17:04 PM »
oooh, nice. My school colors were navy blue and dark orange.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #82 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »
Jonny was thrilled with his.  He was begging me to make him a scarf so I thought this would work out great for the boys.  I think they will hold up better for them than a crocheted one.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #83 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:41:08 PM »
Once I got all of my lil projects done today, I decided it was a good day to sew.  We cannot go outside cuz it is raining and the kids have been keeping themselves pretty busy making the house look like a tornado struck...  :grinnnn:  I finished up the pink/purple rows of my quilt.   

These are the odd rows, 1,3,5,7&9

and the even rows, 2,4,6&8

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008, 07:24:21 PM by Triss »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #84 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »
That is going to be so pretty, Triss. And I've loved watching the progress.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #85 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »
Thanks Tina.  It is dinnertime now so I am done for the day. 

christy

« Reply #86 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:11:15 PM »
 :Wow:  triss thats gonna look great!

i got the orange n blue fabrics for the quilt sibs n rj want me to do,  :grinnnn:  but those are on hold till i finish up the other two  :ThumbUp:

MassMama

« Reply #87 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:55:27 AM »
 :Wow: Triss your doing great on all your sewing.. The scarves turned out great!
Note to self Wash Denim if you buy it at the fabric store!! Got my blanket all sewn together and  :rolleyes1: had to go and re sew alot because it freyed so much..

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #88 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:14:39 AM »
Good to know about the store bought denim Rita. I think I have a little of that in my fabric box too. Purple and black & purple check denim :giggle: Maybe a kitty sized one for practice.

MassMama

« Reply #89 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:20:29 AM »
Yeah it freyed bad.. even with a 1/4 inch seam allowance it freyed past the stitching.. I had to go over all the seams last night

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #90 on: Jan 27, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »
Oh no Rita, I bet that was frustrating.  I will have to remember that for when I buy some as well.   

That brings about a question... are you supposed to wash all store bought fabrics?  I did wash what I have been working with for the quilts when I got them ages ago but I did not for the fleece scarves.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #91 on: Jan 27, 2008, 02:22:54 PM »
Washing takes the sizing out of the fabrics and ensures your finished product wont shrink funny. I know some people who wash all their fabrics just cause they dont want whatever germs, dust, etc that might have been on them on the bolt.

Some people dont wash first for quilts and use cotton batting to be sure the quilt has that old wrinkly look to them after a wash.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #92 on: Jan 27, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »
So then it all depends on the look you want for the finished product.  That is good to know.

MassMama

« Reply #93 on: Jan 27, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »
I usually wash mine but was under the impression that denim wouldn't shrink but I never thought about the freying .. Its ok though all fixed up ready for backing now  :ThumbUp:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #94 on: Jan 27, 2008, 06:33:58 PM »
Well that is good Rita.  The longer you have the denim ones, you need to make minor repairs anyhow.  The one my mom made me has a couple of spots where the fraying has gone beyond the seams even though that was not the case when I got it.  I just stitch them up as I see them.

christy

« Reply #95 on: Jan 27, 2008, 11:14:50 PM »
i wonder if that fraycheck stuff would work on denim?  glad ya got it fixed rita,
i messed with the skull pattern, looks like hes tierd n cranky   :laughmao: thats me in the morning!
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 04:18:30 PM by Dianna »

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #96 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:09:33 AM »
There, thats better. Now I have to find a piece of fabric that coordinates with these colors, in my fabric bins, thats big enough to make the back with.....

christy

« Reply #97 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:29:16 AM »
 :Wow:  wrennie that realy turned out nice!!  :clap: i love it!!!

MassMama

« Reply #98 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »
 :Wow: That is Pretty Wrennie Great Job!!! Ohh a nice sage green would look nice on it!!  :ThumbUp:

oops time to open a new one..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal