Author Topic: African Violets....  (Read 9904 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
African Violets....
« on: Mar 10, 2007, 01:18:11 AM »
I love my AV's...

I am worried about some of the leaves turning yellow, though. Is this the right time of the year to fertilize or do I need to wait?

Dianna
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

Re: African Violets....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2007, 01:46:13 AM »

Dianne, those are loverly!!

I'm just guessing, but I think yellow leaves might mean too much light. Actually, Triss is the one who might be able to help you with that... she has lots of awesome AV's!

I have ONE lonely little AV that was given to me by the same person who got Triss started on hers, & it bloomed for me only one time. Maybe Triss can tell me how to make it do that again.... (I'm all ears, Triss!)
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 11:01:50 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2007, 01:59:16 AM »
Darn, Patty! I thought light is what got them to bloom. I have had mine under a light for awhile.... :o

I am wondering if it is hungry? Needs fertilized, maybe? I will get it out from under the lights, though. They may be getting too much light now....

Thanks for your input....
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2007, 02:41:53 AM »
Hmmm... I think the deal is that they like subdued light. (All I know is that mine is in fairly low light & hasn't died yet!)

You might be right, that they're getting "too much" light... you already have the flowers, so maybe you should back it off a little, & let them rest. (If I'm not mistaken, I think they DO need a rest period.)

I'm not sure about the fertilizer part. I don't "feed" mine every time I water them, & I think it was Triss who told me that she forgets half the time too, & her plants don't seem to be mad at her!
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 11:03:38 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2007, 02:46:04 AM »
I think you hit the nail on the head, Patty!

When Jim installed some grow lights for me, I thought the AV's could benefit from the extra light. I moved them...

Will the leaves green back up or do I need to go ahead and (gulp) get rid of them?

littlebrat

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2007, 01:44:24 PM »
Simply beautiful is all I can say!

Offline Patty S

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2007, 08:12:44 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think leaves ever green back up after they've turned. (I think that their tissues are bruised, so to speak.) I wouldn't think it hurts to leave them on the plants... however, it seems that the energy those leaves are taking up could be put to better use somewhere else by the plant.

Try this, why dont you? Snip those leaves off & dip the stems in Root Tone, then stick them down in some dirt (whatever kind of dirt the AV's are in), & see if they'llk grow roots.
(Make sure you don't get any moisture on the leaf, you know.)

I think that Triss roots them in water... holding the leaf away from the water with a stretch of plastic wrap over the top of a small container, like a Yogurt cup.*
(Speaking of... where the heck is Triss these days? Somebody should rattle her cage & tell her that we have AV questions here... & might not have any left at all, if she doesn't hurry up & come save them from our fiddling around!)

Meanwhile, you might want to try that with a healthy leaf while you're at it, in case the "damaged" leaf doesn't have enough energy left in it, to make a healthy plant.

*If you root them in water, be sure to remember that there is a difference between "water roots" & "dirt roots", so you'll need to add the dirt gradually, over a period of time, so the plant doesn't shock & die.

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 11:06:50 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2007, 08:18:20 PM »
I have been thinking about starting some African violets from leaves. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try to root the yellow ones, would it?? ;D

Those African violets are the ones I have been planning on repotting. I guess I will get around to it one of these days....

Wonder if I need to buy the special soil for African Violets or if I could just mix my Miracle Grow mix with some sand?
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2007, 03:04:53 PM by Dianna »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2007, 04:37:58 PM »
I finally got around to it and repotted my AVs.

I, also, repotted a couple of kalanchoes and potted up some Christmas cactus that had rooted.

While cleaning up the AVs, I decided I would try and duplicate them...

Should I put a bag over them or something?

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2007, 04:47:23 PM »
Dianna here are some of my AV'S as you can see they are on my plant carts under grow lights from 6 am to 7 pm. Always keep water in the bottom for them. I too got my start from Sarah after my Grandsons dog tore all mine up.

Have more if you want to see them. I gave a bunch away here while back to Dentist I deliver too. You would be surprised how much those ladies appreciate them. ;D Every time I go in whether it is once a week or 4 times a day they show them to me and thank me again for them.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2007, 05:08:32 PM »
Ya'll shore got a green thumb.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2007, 05:12:30 PM »
Ya'll shore got a green thumb.

You could show yours flowers off, too, Aunt Bonnie! You know your thumb is greener than mine!

JV, I rescued mine from Wal-Mart a while back. They were in those little two-inch pots. I finally repotted them since they grew up...

Jim has made me a grow light table, too. Should I put the little ones I am trying to start under the lights? Do you know if I need to put a bag over them until they get the mouse ears?

I would love to see more of your AVs...
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2007, 05:14:28 PM by Dianna »

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »
Dianna I have mine in those small one serving containers I got at Wal-Mart last year. I keep them in a plastic pan type thing under a light also cover with another of the cups just to make sure there is no draft get to them. I had to stop as I was out of room as said before I gave a bunch away and anyone comes to my house better not admire them as they just might go home with some of them or other plants. Don't keep them soaked just damp found that works best for me. AV's like to be root bound so it will take a long time to outgrow their pots. Hope this helps. 
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2007, 07:39:22 PM by jv »

Offline Tonya

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2007, 12:37:31 PM »
Dianna- Where did you get the little "rack" that your AV leaves in pots are in?? I want one of those!!

Great looking plants there you guys! I wish I had as many as Jimmy does.....I LOVE AVs!! I have a "baby"that I stared from a leaf in water....it has been about a year and since it got roots and was put in soil- it has gotten a few new leaves, but I can't wait for it to really take off!

I never cover my leaves, but Jimmy may know better than I do- he has more plants and more experience that I do!

As for the yellow leaves- mine get yellow from not enough water and green back up after a bit of watering....Best of luck to you!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2007, 01:13:11 PM »
Tonya, I know it wasn't lack of watering or overwatering that gave the AVs the yellow leaves. I think Patty hit it on the head when she said maybe too much light. I stuck them uder my growing lights and they started turning yellow. I think they were already getting enough light as I have them in the sunroom with double windows on two different walls...

As for the little rack...one of Aunt Bonnie's friends were moving and gave it to her. It was full of candles. Aunt Bonnie gave it to me and I took the candles out to put those little potted plants (the little, bitty ones that sell for $1.74) in them. All the plants I bought thrived and started outgrowing their little pots, so I recently potted up. I thought the little pots would be good to start even more AVs and such.

I saw this same rack in one of those little over-priced magazines like Harriet Carter and Carol Wright selling as cupcake holders. You might could google it to look at their catalogs on-line.

plants n pots

« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2007, 09:09:10 PM »
BEAUTIFUL violets everyone!!!
I picked up these 2 today, in a close-out store. One never knows what they are going to carry, and even though it was VERY cold and windy today, I had to get them, at $1.29 each. I got 1 for me, and 1 to take to my mom on Friday.

Oh.... and I got a box of 12 Oxalis bulbs that are supposed to flower pink. The plant I had from Cindy that was doing so well, is not currently. Hopefully it is only taking a rest! I will pot of some of these bulbs to keep indoors, and put the rest outside after May 15th.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 03:01:34 PM by Dianna »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2007, 09:18:36 PM »
That is one beautiful AV, Lynne!

I don't believe I have that color yet. Until all of mine goes to blooming, though, I am not sure just what I do have. WalMart rescues aren't blooming a lot of times when I get them.... ::)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
I have another AV blooming today. I think it liked being repotted....

plants n pots

« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2007, 08:51:39 PM »
WONDERFUL!!!

I just found out that the name of my violet here is Saturn II - there was a label on the inside pot!

But I can't seem to find out any info on it online...

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »
All the tags on mine just had African Violet... ::)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2007, 08:51:07 PM »
by jv:
I have a AV question for you, one of mine is climbing out of the pot roots are on top so I took it out and it is root bound . Can I put it in a bigger self watering pot if so how much bigger?

I revived this topic since we have the African Violet Queen on board, herself, now...

Sarah, if we seemed like we were fumbling, you can see how much we needed you here... :-*
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2007, 09:02:22 PM by Dianna »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2007, 09:09:25 PM »
Remember that african violets LOVE to be root-bound, and most will not flower until they have filled their pot with roots.

On the other hand, big growers and those who grow for show have found that it's best to re-pot every three months or so.

Now, I am not growing for show, nor do I "force" mine to bloom, just encourage, so I have found that repotting every six months or so works just fine.

How do you re-pot without moving up to a bigger pot, you ask? No problem! First, clean up the plant, remove all sad or yellow leaves. Next, slip the plant out of the pot and gently remove the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the roots, depending on how many leaves you removed. If you happen to have rooting hormone on hand, scrape the "neck" where you removed the leaves and lightly dust it. Now, place the plant back into the pot, add new soil on top of the old soil. The "neck" will now grow new roots, and the plant will settle in and be happy again! :ThumbUp:

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:06:15 PM »
I love my AV's...

I am worried about some of the leaves turning yellow, though. Is this the right time of the year to fertilize or do I need to wait?

Dianna

Dianna, the good news is there is no right or wrong time to fertilize an african violet. However, I have found that watering everytime with 1/4 strength fertilizer works well, and flushing the pots out once every few months.

Yellow leaves in the bottom row are normal...the bottom row is the oldest leaves on the plant, and at a certain point they must turn yellow and die.  Go ahead and remove them as they turn yellow, so the plant can focus energy on new growth.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:10:37 PM »
Thank you, Sarah!

I had read about the 1/4 fertilizing for other plants, but wasn't sure if it was correct information for African Violets. My babies will have a treat tomorrow! :Yahoo:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »
Darn, Patty! I thought light is what got them to bloom.  I will get it out from under the lights, though. They may be getting too much light now....

Thanks for your input....

There is a quick way to determine if your violet is getting too much or not enough light. Hold your hand out above your violet. If you can see a swadow with clearly defined edges, it's probably too much sun. If they are getting too much sun, they are likely to start bunching up in the middle, as well. If there is no shadow or barely a shadow, they are not getting enough sun. When they are not, they start growing tall leaves, streching to find light.

If you practice the shadow thing in several situations you will soon get a feel for the shadows and it will be very easy for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal