Author Topic: African Violets....  (Read 9911 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: African Violets....
« Reply #25 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:25:58 PM »
Thank you, Sarah!

I had read about the 1/4 fertilizing for other plants, but wasn't sure if it was correct information for African Violets. My babies will have a treat tomorrow! :Yahoo:

If you are trying for blooms, and have been giving them a regular balanced fertilizer, try switching to a "bloom" fertilizer. Miracle grow makes one, so it should be easy to find for you.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

MassMama

« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:35:28 PM »
I loved my AV's till my cat ate them  :tapfoot1:  really need to get some more when I have a good spot for them again I am running out of space.. all the good windows have radiators in front of them  :rolleyes1:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #27 on: Aug 07, 2007, 06:47:10 AM »
 :Wow:, Sarah! You have really given us some good information. I wish I had thought about reviving this topic as soon as you joined. ::) I am glad Jimmy had a question so that we had a reason to bring it back up to the top! :ThumbUp:

I tried the shadow trick on my plants a while ago. I am happy to say that they passed it where they are sitting! :grinnnn:

Will you please share some pictures of your AV's? :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2007, 09:52:54 AM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: Aug 07, 2007, 10:00:41 AM »
I would love to!

This one is by far my favorite. He is almost always in bloom.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #29 on: Aug 07, 2007, 10:22:24 AM »
You are very creative, Sarah! What a great idea to display an African Violet... :Yahoo:

Sarah, this is what my AV's look like now. The one on the right looks like it could use a little grooming...

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2007, 10:31:49 AM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: Aug 07, 2007, 10:31:26 AM »
Thank you...the teacup also makes it really easy to water the violet...much like those self-watering pots!

Here's another of my bloomers:

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2007, 10:44:22 AM by barleychown »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #31 on: Aug 11, 2007, 09:57:34 AM »
I'm so glad I read this topic.  Now I know that the reason I'm not getting blooms is because of the pot it is in.  I guess it will be awhile before I do get blooms because this pot is about twice the size of the original one.  But I look forward to when it blooms.

And thankyou for the information about the light.  I think I've got it in a good spot now.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #32 on: Aug 11, 2007, 09:15:53 PM »
There were quite a few African Violets entered into competition at our County Fair this week.  Since BG took pics of just about everything in the floral building & I had to resize them, I may as well post them!

The plants all seem to be happy enough, but none of them are as pretty as yours, Sarah! :wink5:

MassMama

« Reply #33 on: Aug 12, 2007, 07:16:32 AM »
that last almost blue one is BEAUTIFUL love the unusual color!!  :ThumbUp:

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
« Reply #34 on: Aug 12, 2007, 11:00:04 AM »
Sarah sent me these AV's last year.

Thanks again Sarah.

Offline patches

« Reply #35 on: Aug 12, 2007, 12:18:40 PM »
Hey Jimmy, it looks like you've done quite well with those African Violets, they really look great!  :ThumbUp:  My Mom always loved them and she had lots of them. ;)  I always thought they were so beautiful and dainty, but I never bothered getting any because I just didn't have the windows for them.  :smileyNo:
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2007, 12:21:54 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
« Reply #36 on: Aug 12, 2007, 02:29:37 PM »
Patti I had mine in a north kitchen bay window for a long time until I got my plant carts now they are under plant lights on a timer. Glad you like them everyone that comes to see me comments on them. I have given away several AV's I started want everyone to enjoy them.

Offline patches

« Reply #37 on: Aug 12, 2007, 03:02:04 PM »
Well, Jimmy, you must have the same touch my Mom did, ;)  because her AV's always looked as beautiful as yours do.  :Wow:
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2007, 02:41:25 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #38 on: Aug 13, 2007, 04:47:46 AM »
I love the idea of indoor plants that flower.  I just wasn't sure that I could get them to flower.  My mom had a black thumb so when we tried when I was a kid they died.  So, I was kind of chicken to try one.  But so far it's alive and growing new leaves so I have hope.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal