Author Topic: Tacca chanterii  (Read 7592 times)

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
Tacca chanterii
« on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:43:27 PM »
Got this Black Bat Pant ( Tacca chanterii) today .

Looks like it has already bloomed but has a bunch of these little pods in the bloom part.

That stringy looking stuff is coming from the bloom and goes all around the plant.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2008, 08:45:45 AM by jv »

Offline patches

Re: Tacca chanteril
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:05:56 PM »
Geesh, Jimmy, you have some of the most unique and unusual plants.  :yesssss:  I've never even seen or heard about most of ones you own.  :ScratchHead:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline jv

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:17:36 PM »
Geesh, Jimmy, you have some of the most unique and unusual plants.  :yesssss:  I've never even seen or heard about most of ones you own.  :ScratchHead:

Patti that could be because I am unusual don't you think? There are several of us around here that raise these plants I have. 3 of us at work also I am on several forums for the Carnivorous plant I raise. I have some CP starts can send you one and soil recipe . I make up my own soil mixtures for each type of plant because none are native to North Texas and each has to have  certain soil conditions.

MassMama

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »
OHhhhhh That is sooooo beautiful!!! .... I have been looking for that plant for a while now!!  :Whis: If you happen to get some seeds  :grinnnn: would you mind sharin?  :tuschel: :BEG2:

Offline jv

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2008, 10:06:38 PM »
Rita I will be glad to share seed with you. This has a pup growing in it also will have tyo see how to divide it after it warms up.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
What an awesome plant, Jimmy!! You really do have the coolest plants! I love seeing pics of them!!

MassMama

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »
 :clap: Ohhhh Thank you Jimmy!!  If you ever would like something I have let me know .. Ohh I could send some jerky if you like the stuff .. And or some canned goods.. Ummm some HOT Pepper seeds  :BigGrin:

Offline patches

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2008, 01:10:33 AM »
Oh, Jimmy, that would be wonderful!   :banana02:  Geesh, I might actually be able to grow this in my house since it's a shade plant!   :yesssss:  Actually, I have been able to keep my Christmas cactus and my Aloe plant alive in spite of all the trees around my house.  ;)  My other house had a lot of sunlight, and it even had two large skylights which helped tremendously.   :wink5:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline jv

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »
OK Patti I will send you some also. About the Christmas or Thanksgiving Cactus mine only get filtered morning sun in the  early part of the day I keep them on my porch from the time it warms up to the time first freeze is expected mine are never in full sun. In the house my timers are set for 12 hours light 12 hours darkness. The Bat Plant doesn't like wind according to everything I have read. Now looking for the White Bat Plant. You and Rita will be getting my first seeds.

christy

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
 :clap: awsome jimmy!!!! your so lucky!   i bought seeds last year from the seedman n they never grew  :Crybaby: it takes a year to germinate  :Crybaby: i think i paid 5bucks for 8 seeds  dutchbulbs.com  has the plants, the white bat plant n black bat plant for 14.00 a plant  i still got my info on em

lowlight requierments, thrives in high humity.  zone 10+
 grows 2-3 feet in hight,large leaves are sensitive to wind.

seed germination can take up to 9 months
soak seeds 24 hours in warm/hot water. use a thurmus to keep water warm/hot
sow seeds 1/16in deep in a warm place of 80-85* to maintain optimum. it is essential that the soil temp is kept high and steady.
mist daily with warm water.  bottom water can also be added to promote good root structure but dont drown them.

propagation
rhizomes can be devided at repotting time in spring.

christy

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2008, 12:19:17 AM »
oops i have two more pages of info but i wont type all that.  just  after it blooms it will develope seed pods,  these seed pods will remain on the plant for quite a long time, once they dry out or fall off remove them n split open to remove seeds, only let seeds dry out for a few days, " the freasher the seeds the better germanition"  cause the age of the seed is a factor in germanition, one pod may have 5 seeds n another may have 50.

:grinnnn:  keep an eye on your pods jimmy!!   n the stringy things are called wiskers, they grow about a foot long
heres the link for the white, scroll down
http://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/specialtybulbs/62257
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2008, 12:36:05 AM by christy »

MassMama

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2008, 07:56:25 AM »
Wow that is some work to germinate  :shock: I think the radiators in my house would be the perfect place!  :ThumbUp:

Offline jv

« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:41:08 AM »
Christy look at the site.    I found it very interesting and informative. :ThumbUp: Thanks for the link you posted very good site.  :Wow: Also I have this cup warmer for your coffee that works real well for keeping seeds warm I use it all the time for my seeds.

http://www.gardinonursery.com/product_info.php?products_id=42 
might jhelp to put a link here huh :Groaner:
Christy this site has those Asiatic Lilies that I love and have had trouble finding the ones I want and now I found them and don't have room. I guess I could always move out and let the plants have the house.  :nutz:
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2008, 08:58:43 AM by jv »

MassMama

Re: Tacca chanterii
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:55:16 AM »
Ohhh thats a great Idea Jimmy.. Probly a lot more accurate on a temp control as well.. I will find something  :grinnnn:

Offline jv

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2008, 09:02:03 AM »
Rita I think I paid $5.00 for the one I have Carolyn at Wal-Mart garden center told me about using them. She and I are always trading plants and info. If I don't have and she does she gives it to me and if I have it and she doesn't I give it to her. She also boss's me around a lot but thats Ok we have known each other long enough we have the right to boss each other.

christy

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
 :giggle:  yep the link helps jimmy.  great link i put it in my favs, lots of nice plants in there   :ThumbUp:
rita its alotta lookin after but  i think there worth it, , i used my hubs thurmus to soak them in, n just put them in plastic baggies up high to stay warm,
  im thinking maybe i got old seeds,  anyho im gonna order em through dutchbulbs, im ordering the mouse plant from them might as well get the bats too.  :grinnnn:

i gotta tip in my notes, for a perk up, if your plant starts to look bad,
put it in the bathroom, run the hot water in the shower n let the plant sit all night with the door closed,  guess they love it n perk right back up.  :ThumbUp:

Offline patches

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »
Hey, Jimmy, I never even thought about using one of the cup warmers that you have for coffee for germinating seeds, but it sounds like a great idea!   :yesssss:
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008, 12:59:23 AM by patches »

Offline jv

« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2008, 01:19:57 PM »
Todays bloom shots.

BTW my cup warmer has a high and low on it as well as off/on.
Hope you all enjoy these as much as I enjoy looking at it on my table.

christy

« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:33:55 PM »
 :Wow:  thats beauitful jimmy!  looks like its gonna do well for you,  :ThumbUp:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2008, 10:08:39 PM »
Jimmy...that is one awesome plant. Thank you for the pictures. I'm enjoying them. :BigGrin:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:28:47 AM »
:Wow: Jimmy, those certainly are breathtaking and beautiful! :yesssss:  I'm sure you're very proud of them.  ;)

Hope you all enjoy these as much as I enjoy looking at it on my table. 

Yes, I really did enjoy seeing these on your table, but I probably would have enjoyed them even more if they were on my table!    :rofl1: :laugh1:
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2008, 12:30:27 AM by patches »

Offline jv

« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2008, 07:25:26 AM »
Yes, I really did enjoy seeing these on your table, but I probably would have enjoyed them even more if they were on my table!    :rofl1: :laugh1:
Patti behind the Bat plant is an Epy that Diane gave me a cutting last year it takes up most of the table the Bat Plant takes up the rest of it so no eating at the table. but outside of late night snacks I don't eat at home anyway.

Sarah Christy glad you like the photo's the plant really is some thing else.
Sarah the AV you sent me are growing like weeds they are really doing well will post a photo later .

Offline jv

« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2008, 02:33:01 PM »
Here are my latest Bat Plant photo's this first one is the back side of the bloom. All are taken inside on what was once a dining table now it is a flower stand.

The full plant

Side angle

New buds

Bloom taken from below

MassMama

« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2008, 04:38:04 PM »
 :Wow: those pictures turned out Great Jimmy!! Such an awesome and interesting plant!!

Offline patches

« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Wow, what neat pictures, Jimmy, and they are so clear!  How tall does it get? 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal