Author Topic: Spring has sprung!  (Read 16398 times)

Offline Patty S

Re: Spring has sprung!
« Reply #25 on: Apr 01, 2007, 01:39:09 AM »
Wow! Those are awesome! I've been waiting for Bonnie to get it in gear & go take a closer pic....
 (now she doesnt have to!)

Thanx, Jim!
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 10:34:46 AM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #26 on: Apr 01, 2007, 10:19:23 PM »
Remember when I said somewhere last week that my little 3 year old Plum tree wasn't doing anything yet? It is now! (I just hope it doesn't turn out to be one of those ornamental trees, cuz I bought it so I could have plums.)

And the Purple Phlox is waking up too, so spring has indeed spring here!

There's a lone white Iris across the driveway. & at first glance I thought it might be on our property...but it's not!

It's the only thing there besides the Periwinkle & the St. John's Wart (& the only white Iris in the whole neighborhood). I don't think that old woman could have gotten on the slope to plant it, so it may be a volunteer that simply osmosed there somehow
 ...but I'm going to come right out & ask her if I can dig it up, instead of stealing it.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 10:40:57 AM by Patty S »

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2007, 01:33:24 PM »
Thank you, Jim Baby for taking a picture of my honeysuckles. I saw some at Home Depot, a little twig about 4ft. They wanted $19.95 for it.

I gotta gold mine here, gonna start marketing the seeds. lol

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:25:59 PM »
Every spring these little boogers go crazy. They break off and root where ever they fall. I have them growing in everything. I had an outdoor rug on part of the porch and they fell off and rooted on the carpet. They grow all year, but seem to really get a growing sprut when spring springs

Bonnie

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 11:01:41 AM by Dianna »
This is me ->?

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #29 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:53:28 PM »
I reckon ya'll can tell that I got new batteries for my camera. lol

This is my first Amarillo of the year. The white ones will be opening up soon.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2007, 04:27:49 PM by Jim »
This is me ->?

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #30 on: Apr 03, 2007, 12:53:22 PM »
I had a nice suprise this morning.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 10:27:06 AM by Dianna »
This is me ->?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #31 on: Apr 03, 2007, 01:11:39 PM »
This is looking into Aunt Bonnie's back yard part that is fenced off for the dogs. Notice her little garden gate? I think she has started some red honeysuckle up on it...

Her purple and red verbena are starting to bloom now. The glads won't be far behind, I am sure...

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #32 on: Apr 03, 2007, 01:54:18 PM »
Man, what awesome succulents you have going there, Bonnie! (Cute planters, too!)

Your awesome red flowers (and the white ones that you just snuck in here with while I was typing)...
the rest of the world calls those "Amaryllis"!!
...I can't believe you can grow them outside! I think it's just too hot & dry here for that kind of plant to survive outdoors.

Dianna, I love those Iris! I have a bunch of lavender & white Tall Bearded Iris that look just like your yellow/white ones. The purple one looks like a Dutch Iris to me, but I haven't figured out what sorta animal that purple one is. I'm going to do some snooping around & see if I can find out what that's called... I sure like the pleated/textured look of it. (Or are those actually stripes?)
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 10:56:19 AM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #33 on: Apr 03, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »
OK, while I was typing, Dianna moved her garden gate post over here... I'd better stay focused & finish what I start, when I go to reply to a post, or I might find the topic closed by the time I get finished!

I love the looks of that gate & arbor! I want an archway for some of the vines I'm trying out this year, but I'm too cheap to get that fancy. As soon as Keith gets me the lumber, I'm planning to build one myself.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 11:01:24 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #34 on: Apr 03, 2007, 07:44:03 PM »
I sure hope the amaryllis are still blooming this week-end. They are gorgeous!

Patty, you were told that I was going to move that topic on over to the Spring/Sprung! Why in the world do I deserve a wedgie for your being too slow about posting??

I think I would like to have an arbor with a bench built into it. We saw one at Big Lots here awhile back that would do the trick. By the time you get through paying for lumber and labor and all, Patty, you will have spent more than buying it out right....

I noticed a peach-looking tulip in the tulip bed today. I hope it opens soon so I can post a picture of it....

I think my blue and purple iris are of the Louisiana species. Guess I need to get them moved to the pond area when I am able to dig in the dirt again....
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2007, 07:51:44 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #35 on: Apr 03, 2007, 08:45:49 PM »
Okay, I'll admit it I can't spell. Those flowere are Amaryliss. They come back and multiply ever year. I love um. I don't think you could kill um if you wanted to.

Dianne and Jim gave me the garden gate. Nice ain't they.

Dianne, those yellow iris that you brought back to me are white. I haven't seen a yellow one yet.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Patty S

« Reply #36 on: Apr 03, 2007, 11:48:14 PM »

Patty, you were told that I was going to move that topic on over to the Spring/Sprung! Why in the world do I deserve a wedgie for your being too slow about posting?

Dianne, if you want to assume that the wedgied smiley is YOU & the wedgier is me, you can own that if you want to... but actually, I was symbolically giving myself the wedgie for not staying on task & letting 2 posts appear from the time I started typing until the time I got finished with a relatively short post!

By the time you get through paying for lumber and labor and all, Patty, you will have spent more than buying it out right....
#1 - I don't charge myself for labor, so I'm safe there... (I'll do it in my spare time!)

#2 - Have you seen the prices on those things? HIWAY ROBERY!! (And then, they're not even painted!)
 #3 - I just dont want one ready made!

(This one is for you, darlin'!)

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 06:42:42 PM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #37 on: Apr 04, 2007, 09:45:50 PM »
No, no, no, no, Patty! You can have the wedgie. I don't even like thongs!

Here is the pretty little tulip that was just budding around yesterday...

These are complete with the weeds that need pulling. Aunt Bonnie accused me of weeding before I took pictures. Now I can show her that that isn't so. I didn't even notice the weeds until I downloaded the pics off the camera... :D

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #38 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:23:34 PM »
 ;DEverything looks great everyone!!!

proloz

« Reply #39 on: Apr 05, 2007, 04:57:13 PM »
Very nice pics!  It was 85 here 2 days ago, this morning it was 25....60 degree drop!  I've been out covering things up--it's gonna stay like this for 4 nights! :'(

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #40 on: Apr 05, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »
We are dropping down to the thirties this week end. Guess I'll have to bring some plants back in the house.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #41 on: Apr 10, 2007, 02:17:11 PM »
I took this picture on Saturday before the weather dipped down to 27 on Easter morning. It was a good thing I got it then because the cold really played the devil with the bloomers around here...

Pay no attention to the wild blackberry vine that is threatening to take over my garden beds if my foot doesn't hurry up and get better.... :-[

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #42 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:58:05 PM »
This is a picture of some Bugle Weed. It makes a thick ground cover and spreads fast. I think it is pretty when it blooms in the spring. I have a lot of it.

Bonnie
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 12:07:37 AM by Bonnie »
This is me ->?

Offline Patty S

« Reply #43 on: Apr 17, 2007, 07:21:53 PM »
Is it really a weed?  I must like weeds then, cuz I think it's pretty cool! After the flowers die off, do they have seeds?  "a thick ground cover and spreads fast" sounds like something I need on the hill above my Iris, to help hold the soil!  So it only blossoms in the spring... what about the rest of the year?  Is the foliage thick & nice looking, or does it look more like a "weed"?  I'm wondering if it grows thick enough to choke out "normal" weeds & grasses. ???   (I'll bet you never thought anybody could ask so many questions about it!)

My California Poppy is up & running.

This stuff drives me insane!  It's more of a weed here, cuz it throws a real long tap root that makes it nearly impossible to get rid of!  (I let it go in my Nigella bed cuz it goes so well with the pretty blue flowers, but here where this stand is, is the wrong place for them, cuz my annuals will be living there!) I'll let these go once & in a few weeks I'll get seeds from them for a few people who have asked, then they're coming out of there.  They'll be back again before the end of the growing season so I can fight them back again!

I really have to start taking notes when I move things, cuz I don't remember putting this Dutch Iris there! It was nice to see it finally open up, though.

I went to my buddy, Betty's house today so LaRelle could wash windows for her, & she asked if I'd step out & "pull those stupid weeds" for her... the nut was talking about BUTTERCUPS!

When I told her what they are, she decided to keep some, but the rest got moved... from her yard to mine! She says it spreads, so it's going into a spot the hill above my Iris.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #44 on: Apr 17, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »
Ajuga reptans (Bugle Weed)is a beautiful little groundcover whether it is flowering or not. Aunt Bonnie gave me some to put in my front flowerbed. They did not like the full sun in that area. I moved it to under the deck in the back, facing North, and it is thriving. If it ever covers the full area, I won't have to go under there and pull "real" weeds.  ;)

I , also, planted some in Angel's little yard, but am thinking about moving it. It does attract bees and Angel gets in trouble with them. She likes to try to bite them... ::)

Whether it puts out seeds or not, I don't know. I just dig up patches at Aunt Bonnie's house to transplant to mine. Her beds need thinning out again. It is choking itself out. I will be looking out for seeds on them for you...

Offline Patty S

« Reply #45 on: Apr 21, 2007, 10:44:33 AM »
Oops!  If Bugleweed doesn't like full sun it would never make it in my yard, cuz I only have one place that gets any shade, & that's where I moved my Hydrangeas last year.

DARN!

Offline Patty S

« Reply #46 on: Apr 22, 2007, 09:21:26 PM »
About that arbor, Dianna...

By the time you get through paying for lumber and labor and all, Patty, you will have spent more than buying it out right....

WRONG! I finally got the boards painted & Keith pitched right in & helped put my arbor together today!

It was lots cheaper than I could have bought it for, & didn't take much spare time to cut & paint the wood before we put it together.  I only spent $3.67 (each) for the four 2X3's, & we had scraps of cedar boards out behind the garden shed, waiting to be turned into something. I told you it wasn't gunna be fancy... if I have my way, it'll be all covered up with vines this summer, so nobody will be able to see it anyway!

Now I can get my vine starts in the ground at the base of it... & I discovered the other day that the Passion Flower vines I planted last year actually took root, & they're ready to roll!  (They were hiding behind all those nuisance California Poppies.)

« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2007, 08:57:22 AM by Patty S »

plants n pots

« Reply #47 on: Apr 22, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »
The arbor turned out VERY NICE, Patty - great job!!!
Can't wait to see it all planted up - passionflower sounds like a good one to put there.  Which color flower did you plant?  I have the white one.

What is that blazing yellow plant in the foreground of the picture?
It's so bright and yellow!

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2007, 09:28:18 PM by plants n pots »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #48 on: Apr 22, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »
Thanxs, Lynne!  It really wasn't all that hard to throw together. The hard part was waiting for the weather to get warm enough last week to go out in the garage & paint the boards !

My passion Flower is the white one also... with the purple in it somewhere... it's been so long since I saw the flower, I can't remember right now where the different colors are, but I know there's purple in it!

The "blazing yellow plant" is our Globe Arborvitae.   

This is actually a better shot of the arbor! I had to stand on a few California Poppies to get this shot.  (It's getting dark here, & the sun is throwing some pretty shadows on the hills across town.  Cool, huh?)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2007, 09:03:45 AM by Patty S »

plants n pots

« Reply #49 on: Apr 22, 2007, 09:55:18 PM »
WOWZERS Patty - what a GORGEOUS view you have there!!!

Your arbor really is fantastic!  And I like the coloration of that Arborvitae - I've never seen one like that!  Though I can't grow them here with the deer, so I really haven't paid too much attention to them lately.  I'm so glad you shared these pictures with us - can't wait to see more!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal