Author Topic: Is there a flower you don't like?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Is there a flower you don't like?
« on: Feb 29, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »
Be it for whatever reason, is there a flower that you just do not want in your yard?  :SmileyQmarks:

There are a few that just really do not do anything for me.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Is there a flower you don't like?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2008, 08:49:41 PM »
I really don't like most roses.  First I don't like most rose scents. And I really dislike thorns. Then I think that most roses bloom best on some of the most unlovely plants.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »
I know this may upset one or two people but I really don't like portulaca or whatever it's called.  Never find that willingly in my garden despite that it grows wild in the yard.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »
Portulaca is one of my favorites. I can't think of any flowers that I really dislike. I do know a couple of blooming idiots that I'm not too fond of.
This is me ->?

Hillhound

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2008, 06:27:52 PM »
One or two of the lilies smell like cat pee, don't like those at all.
 :Gardeninhail:
Then there's Dandelions, Daisies, Docks, buttercups and nettles!
 :eek:
And a Cauliflower in a flower bed looks a little out of place!
 :BigGrin:

Offline patches

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »
I don't like Ajuga!!!  :smileyNo:  I'll admit it's a great groundcover and has pretty blue flowers, but once it got a good start, it was coming up everywhere in my yard and one of my flowerbeds.  :SmileyFit:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2008, 01:00:10 PM »
I do not care much for roses either.  But I do like buttercup though it is supposed to be a weed.  I love it in my garden.  It does take a lot of work to keep it in its place though.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »
I like roses but hate having them in my yard. Ugly plants. And they bite. I don't care for the green zinnias. The leaves are green I want a burst of color up top.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline patches

« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2008, 01:24:31 PM »
I don't care for roses either, except for my 'Nearly Wild Rose'.  Perhaps it's because I don't care for the smell of roses. 

Another flower I don't like is my Ligularia.  I think the only reason I ever bought it was because it took partial shade, but I really don't like it now so I'm giving to my friend who likes strange plants and flowers.

"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2008, 02:12:36 PM »
Honey Suckle and Russian Olive are two I can't stand . Just the smell of the blooms puts me in the hospital. Most of the others I can tolerate. Roses among my favorites not just pretty but good in salads and tea also Dandilions make good salad and tea. In fact my hibiscus blooms make good tea as well as salad.

Offline patches

« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »
Oh, Jimmy, I love the smell of honeysuckle.  Just waking up to the smell of it and Mock Orange is one of the fondest memories from my childhood.  Geesh, I didn't realize that Dandilions make good tea and salad, but I do know they make some mighty wine!  How do you make the tea from the Hibiscus blooms?     
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2008, 04:38:28 PM by patches »

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:43:32 PM »
Patti I am very allergic to something in the bloom or the sent. Just like that real cheap perfume that some of these young girls wear very loud smelling and will put me in the hospital with an allergic reaction almost every time Billie when she wore a lot of perfume had to get top of the line stuff so I didn't get sick from it.
On the Hibiscus I dry the petals just like you would a regular tea leaf then make my tea when I had enough leaves just like making tea with rose hips. Also I try to use my Tea Hibiscus for it but sometimes I don't have enough do I use any of the others I have handy my grandkids come over in the summer and ask for Hibiscus tea they tell me it's better then that high dollar coffee shop hibiscus tea.
BTW for this week we are not in Texas we are in New Mexico  next Tuesday Janet will be flying over your house going to Chicago to bring a car back for her cousin

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:10:34 AM »
well it has to do with not having very good luck with the plants more than not liking them perse.  Although I'm sure the longer I garden the more I'll come to dislike some plants. 

One is the calendula and the reason was that the blooms reminded me more of dandylions than anything else.  Could have just been the seeds I got were a particular variety that had the resemblance.  And the blooms were half hearted to say the least.  Possibly in a cooler climate they may do better.

Offline patches

« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »
As I was going through my garden journal I remembered another plant I didn't like and it was the Obedient Plant 'Physostegia virginiana' which is anything but obedient!  :SmileyFit:  Mine had some beautiful pinkish/purple flowers, so I felt it was $10.00 well-spent, until I discovered it was taking over the bed.  It was coming up everywhere and it took me three years to get rid of it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2008, 06:34:01 AM »
I have some plants that I love but that for one reason or another I won't have in the garden anymore.  One type is the miniture rose.  They just don't do well over the colder months for me and 4.00 for an annual is more than I pay.  Not that I don't love there blooms because I really do.  But just not within my budget.  I won't do the absmuth again either.  The leaves weren't as "silver" as advertised and the plant just look straggly to me. 

christy

« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2008, 11:36:27 AM »
Portulaca is one of my favorites. I can't think of any flowers that I really dislike. I do know a couple of blooming idiots that I'm not too fond of.
:laughmao:  :ThumbUp:   im with bonnie on this, theres not a flower i dont like, i likes em all  :grinnnn: even some weeds that are pretty  :grinnnn:

Offline patches

« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2008, 12:58:47 AM »
When I was outside today checking on the status of my garden beds, I found evidence of another flower I don't like sprouting some new growth, although I thought I got it all out last year.  :SmileyFit:  The flower is Yarrow (common), which has beautiful fern-like foliage and a nice flower the butterflies love, BUT, I can't keep it contained.  :Vent:  It is very invasive and comes up everywhere.   :thpullhairout:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:19:15 AM »
I've heard that about yarrow.  I bought some once but heard it was aggressive so I never even planted it.

Offline patches

« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2008, 07:41:54 PM »
Actually, mine was given to to me by a Master Gardener "friend"!!!  :unsure:  Geesh, I can't beleive the nurseries still sell it and ask a pretty good price for it too!!!   :yikes:

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen yarrow. Isn't it used to stop bleeding or maybe it was something esle.
This is me ->?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal