Author Topic: Odd and interesting plants  (Read 2065 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Odd and interesting plants
« on: Feb 29, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »
In my surfing, I often come across odd and interesting plants. Although I list them on my computer, I thought I'd also share them with you guys, so you get to see them, too!

The first is Senna didymobotrya, commonly known as popcorn senna. It's called that because if you brush the leaves, it really does smell like buttered popcorn. :grinnnn:

How about Brassica oleracea var. longata, common name Walking Stick Kale...looks sorta like mini palm trees, and grows 7' in one year...and, best of all...the leaves are edible!
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2008, 08:32:15 PM by barleychown »
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Odd and interesting plants
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2008, 10:29:20 AM »
I love the look of the blue pea vine. It's a tropical vine, similar to dutchman's pipe, but bright blue.

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2008, 10:53:36 AM »
The hyacinth bean vine is a cool plant. And the hummingbirds love its blooms too.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

christy

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »
http://seedrack.com/02.html  has them  think how neat your vegie garden would look with tree type cabage/kale in it! wonder how they tast?  they have black tomatoes in there too!
i seen the butteryfly pea vine last year n was gonna get em but got the cup n saucer vine instesd.
i got the living stones from there too, just need to get off my butt n plant em their so neat lookin

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2008, 01:46:10 PM »
Probably one of the most interesting plants I've seen is the Alpine Sea Holly 'Eryngium alpinum' that my friend grows and dries for her flower arrangements.  It's hardy here, so I might try to get some seeds from her.  Of course, then I will need to figure out where I'm going to plant them.   
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:12:50 AM »
I like that climbing shell vine.  Some day I'm going to get one.

Offline patches

« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »
One plant that I thought was very unusual is something called the Shrimp Plant 'Justicia brandegeana', but it's definitely not a hardy plant here in our area.   :SmileyFit:  I think the hummingbirds like it.  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008, 02:51:42 AM by Patty S »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2008, 05:34:03 PM »

I googled all of the above plants. I really like the big cabbage, because it is so unusual but I really love the sea holly.

I found this site about eight of the most unusual plants while I was looking.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22167/37205
This is me ->?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
Those are some weird plants. Well, except the dracunculus, (Dragon flower, voodoo lily). I have a couple of those growing outside.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal