Gardening > Mystery Plants

Mystery weed - [Solved] Hairy Bittercress

(1/3) > >>

Patty S:
These things popped up all over in my flower beds last year, & I see that they're back again, this year!

Their seeds look like little mini pods, all up & down the tips of the stems. When touched (no matter how careful you are), they seem to have some kind of trigger reaction, cuz those little pods will eject themselves & fly in all directions! (NOT FAIR! They're too tiny to find in the dirt!)

They're all over the place, with little whiite flowers on them when they're new.

The only way to prevent them from reseeding themselves is to get to the plant while it's still little, before the pod thingies form.? The plant ages rapidly, turning the pods a straw-color & dead looking after about a week... at which point it's nearly impossible to pull them up succesfully, as they almost collapse & fall apart when touched.

Anybody know what the heck they're called? I don't have a clue as to how they got here, cuz 2 years ago I didn't see even ONE of them ANYWHERE!

Dianna:
It would help if I could see the pictures, Patty! All I see are little red x flowers in a box....

Dianna:
Now, tell me something, Patty. You took the pics away just to play with my head, didn't you?  :D

Anyway, I see them now. Thanks for putting them back in. I guess you went to look for the ruler, huh?  Then came back in and edited... ;)

I can't tell you what it is, but will be trying to help you find out.

Patty S:

Good timing, Dianna... I'll bet you thought you were having a genuine Monday!
I didn't see that anyone else was on the site when I decided to post new pics with a ruler included.

Dianna:
Narrow-leaved Hawksbeard?

http://www.easttennesseewildflowers.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Summer-Roadsides-Yellow&id=Hawkweed_panicled1

or Hairy bittercress?

http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/2006/04/cleveland-weeds-hairy-bittercress.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version