Author Topic: 2008 Spring Color Splashes  (Read 17900 times)

Offline Patty S

2008 Spring Color Splashes
« on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
The calendar might not say it's spring yet, but my yard disagrees... so I'm jumping the gun & starting this topic early! :Whis:

My deck planters are running over with Daffodils, Hiacinth & Pansies...

...and now I see how many of them I missed, when I thought I'd dug them all up last fall, for those planter boxes!

Now I need to get busy & figure out what else to put in them, for when the Daffs die off.  :ScratchHead:

My neighbor has a gorgeous Star Magnolia right outside her kitchen window, & I took a pic of it when I was there yesterday.

(Weird tree, that one... the leaves don't come on until the flowers are done!) :nutz:

Show us what's blooming in your yards! :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2008, 12:35:09 PM by Patty S »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: 2008 Spring Color Splashes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2008, 02:54:21 PM »
Pretty, pretty!  I have not seen any magnolias in bloom here, guess I need to keep on the lookout for them.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:59:55 PM »
is this earlier for where ever you live?  This is my front walk

and this is a helebores

Offline patches

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »
Yes, Sheri, it certainly looks like a Hellebores to me, but I've never seen one blooming in my yard.   :SmileyFit:  Your flowers are beautiful and they remind me now that spring is NOT too far away.   :yay_jump:
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2008, 12:56:16 AM by Patty S »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Patty S

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2008, 12:41:37 AM »
Sheri, your walkway is gorgeous!! :clap:  That great shot of your Lentin Rose inspired me to get down in the dirt & take some close-ups of mine, too.  (I posted them in the Helleborus thread.)  If you get any more shots of yours, you might want to post them there, so we can get that thread moving... I hope there are some other people around here who have those beauties!  :grinnnn: They're so awesome, & I sure am happy with mine this year! :Yahoo:

I'm also really tickled with the pansies that bloomed all winter long, in the planters we built for under our new deck. They're so darned pretty, I dont want to pick them... but I know that's the only way to make them happy enough to keep doing it.

(This last one really knocks me for a loop, cuz it almost looks like a miniature Orchid!)

I'm just loving the way my deck planters look with all those pansies in them!

The Primroses stayed happy all winter, too. :Glee:

« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2008, 12:38:09 PM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2008, 07:29:05 AM »
Great pictures.

I have 3 of the purple crocuses blooming and one of the striped ones.  there are buds on the daffodils and hycinth.  But no flowers yet.

I've lifted most of my flowers so that they will be easy to move.  The ones that are out there now are bulbs that I missed.  I'm glad they are there but I hope they die back before I move so they are easy to transport.

Offline patches

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2008, 04:34:31 AM »
Actually, all I have blooming are my mini-daffodils, but it looks like some of my tulips are breaking ground so I may have some more color before long.   :yay_jump:
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2008, 02:15:55 AM by Patty S »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Patty S

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:20:26 PM »
I couldn't believe how many Daffodils were still in the bed after thought I dug them all out last fall & put them in the deck planters! :yikes: I would have sworn I'd gotten them all!

I also don't remember having so many different ones! (The first 2 are the only kinds that showed up in the planter boxes.) :ScratchHead:

I can't wait to move these when the flowers go away, cuz I want to put something else in that bed.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2008, 12:54:35 PM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »
I know exactly what you mean out some of them sticking around.  I have quite a few daffodils left in the bed I thought I had emptied.  And there were two of us working.  I can believe I missed the crocuses those are small.  but the daffodil bulbs too?  They aren't that small.

I have the ones with the pinkish orange centers.  I hope to get different types as time passes.

2 of them bloomed today which is fantastic.

Offline patches

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »
Hey, Patty, did you ever think that you might have some critters who are digging them up and planting them elsewhere?    :ScratchHead:  Geesh, I have that happen all the time around here.  :nutz:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »
Great flowers, Patty and Sheri!

Almost two weeks after my other crocus bloomed, I have a new, different looking set up and blooming. These ones are smaller, and don't have the tissue paper look of the others, but I love them too.

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2008, 08:20:12 AM »
Those are great crocuses.  I love the purple and yellow combinations.  An update on my daffodils I have one that is yellow on yellow woohoo. 

Offline patches

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »
Hey, Sarah, those look a lot more like the kind of Crocus I have in my yard.  ;)  I'll have to see if any of mine are coming up yet.  :dunno:   

Offline patches

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2008, 06:47:02 PM »
Well, Sarah, I went out to check on my Crocus, but I couldn't see any of them coming up.   :smileyNo:  Of course, if they're there, they are underwater right now.  :yikes:  I did manage to get a picture of some of my mini-daffodils along the side of my house, so here's my splash of color for spring!!!   :yesssss:   

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2008, 06:49:32 PM by patches »

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2008, 10:48:42 PM »
my iris are starting to bloom.  I wish I knew where everyone is from.

Offline patches

« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2008, 11:24:42 PM »
Well, Sheri, I'm in the midwest, Illinois to be exact. ;)  Actually, I'm just across the river from St. Louis, and we're in zone 6a.  Hope this helps!   :Whis:  What a beautiful Iris you have there. :yesssss:
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 03:18:24 AM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2008, 03:02:29 AM »
Patti, I don't know if I've ever seen mini-daffs before, & I can't tell how "mini" they are... cuz your pic doesn't have a nickel (or a duck) in it. :laugh1:
They're sure pretty, though! :wink5:

I wish I knew where everyone is from.
Sheri, where are YOU from, that you have Iris blooming in March?! :thspeechless-vi: (It's absolutely beautimus!)  I live in SW Oregon, about 60 miles east of the Pacific coast (& 50 miles south of Sarah-bc.) My Iris won't start blooming till some time around the end of April, then they'll last for about a month.

I'm not real wild about Hiacinths, but they do help bring spring color to the gardens. Hiacinth bulbs must be good hiders, cuz I thought I'd moved these to the deck planters last fall. :Wacko:  Obviously, I missed them with the shovel, so I'm marking them this year, so I'll know exactly where to dig this time!

I can remember having only one blue Wood Hiacinth last year, & I sent that one to Dianna.  (At least, I think that's what it was... not so sure, now!)  These deep purple ones showed up in one of the deck planters, & I'm totally baffled now, cuz I know these weren't in the bed last year! :ScratchHead:

I absolutely love the royal shade of these, :yesssss: so they're keepers!

Sarah, your crocus have that true, deep color that I like, too! :Yahoo:
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 03:23:19 AM by Patty S »

Offline patches

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2008, 04:22:19 AM »
Geesh, I'm sorry about that, Patty, but I didn't have any change with me and the only ducks I have are in my dream, and I couldn't catch them.  :rofl1:  Actually, I guess the mini-daffodils are about 5-7" tall.  Perhaps you can tell by the scalloped edging in front of them.  It's the same edging you can buy at Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Home Depot.  ;)

Geesh, I really don't know how you could miss the bulbs because I think they are huge compared to other bulbs I have.   I love the smell of Hyacinth, but they just don't stick around long enough for me.  :smileyNo:  I still have a few of them in my beds.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2008, 07:52:24 AM »
Thanks for the pictures I love them.  I wish I could share mine but a new used computer is a long way off for me.

Your right the hycinth bulbs are huge.  I have two of the purple a mama and baby that are blooming now.  And I have about 8 daffodils blooming.

I put the purple crocuses in a pot so I wouldn't loose track of them.  I look forward to sending them on for the orange ones.  That will complete my crocuses for next year.  I'll have all of the colors.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:52:06 AM »
Everything looks amazing, so colorful!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2008, 06:58:32 AM »
My first tulip is in bloom.  It is a yellow orange combination.  It looks good but the stem was way short again this year.  I don't know what is going on with it.

Offline patches

« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2008, 08:23:53 PM »
Well, I don't have any tulips blooming yet, but it may not be too long until I can see some other color in my beds. ;)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #22 on: Apr 01, 2008, 06:28:52 PM »
well someone stole the tulip and the hycinth baby.  Can you believe it?  I so want to move. 

Offline patches

« Reply #23 on: Apr 01, 2008, 09:37:19 PM »
Geesh, Duh, that is terrible!  :SmileyFit:  People these days just seem to have no respect for other people's property.   :smileyNo:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2008, 12:57:49 PM »
well someone stole the tulip and the hycinth baby.  Can you believe it?  I so want to move. 

Thats terrible, some have no respect for anything or anyone's property!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal