Author Topic: High school garden  (Read 2611 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
High school garden
« on: Mar 14, 2008, 03:10:01 PM »
I remembered to take my camera with me today when I took the girls over to work on the garden at the school. This is what they have to work with:

As you can see, it will take quite a bit of hard work to get this to where it should be. Today we started weeding the raised beds, so that on sunday we can plant some cool season crops in them.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: High school garden
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »
Sure does look like a lot of hard work Sarah.  How long ago was the garden used last?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2008, 03:16:09 PM »
Never. They started putting it together last year, and planted the trees last year, but never planted a single crop! :yikes:

The teacher who started the garden club has good intentions, but zero follow-through. The kids are disappointed, and wanted to quit, so I said I would help. Hopefully, when they see progress, they will all be more involved.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »
That stinks that the teacher didnt follow through with it. Nice that you are stepping up to help. They can also ask at local garden centers, nurseries and the such for donated manure, poles,seeds etc. Maybe from their partially damaged goods that they cant sell at full price anyway.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2008, 03:32:13 PM »
Oh I hope so Sarah, it is such a good idea to have high schoolers in a garden club.  I am sure you can pull it together!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2008, 03:41:20 PM »
That's a good idea, Wrennie! I know the trees were donated last year.

There is hope. It will take work, but so far I have at least two kids, besides the girls, who are willing to help. It's a start! :goofy:

Offline patches

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
Sarah, that sounds like a wondeful project for high school kids.  :Wow:  It looks like it will take a little work to get things in shape, but with your help I'm sure it won't be long before things are popping up out of the ground.  ;)
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2008, 07:42:05 AM »
I'm going to cross my fingers you don't have any vandals at that school.  And if the teenagers are in need of seeds please let me know.  I'm always willing to donate.  People have been so generous to me since I started gardening.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2008, 11:34:57 AM »
The thought of vandals had crossed my mind, but this is a small town, and full of mostly good, caring kids...plus, the garden is out in the open, along a main road.

Because this is a school garden, I want to do several different styles of gardening, so the kids can laearn and compare. I Plan on doing a "normal" stand of corn, and a three sister's stand, to see if we can notice a difference in production. I also want to do companion planting.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2008, 06:52:10 PM »
Do they have a place to compost as well?  And what about a worm bin?  I bet the wood shop kids could build one.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2008, 04:44:50 PM »
They do have compost bins. The idea of a worm bin is a great one. I'll have to see what I can do.

We planted the first set of crops a few weeks ago. We will be going in a few minutes to weed and water. I've been told there are deer tracks right through the middle of the raised beds. IN the raised beds. :tickedoff:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2008, 10:07:24 PM »
Sarah, here is a link that might help you out. I am sure the school wouldn't want electric fencing because of liability issues.
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline patches

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2008, 11:22:32 PM »
Sarah, I think what you are doing for the kids is great  :yesssss:  and they're really going to learn a lot from doing this garden!   :BigGrin:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal