Author Topic: Identifying seedlings  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Patty S

Identifying seedlings
« on: Jun 09, 2008, 12:37:48 PM »
I'm afraid to weed some of my beds, cuz I'm not sure what the seedlings look like, for some of the seeds I've planted. :ScratchHead:  (I know I can't be the only one with this problem.)

I have seedling pics for several of the seeds I've sent to people, & am hoping that some of you have taken pics as things come up in your beds, cuz it sure would help the rest of us in keeping our weeds from taking over early in the game.

Right now, I'm looking for what Rattlebox seedlings look like.  I know what the plant looks like (of course, cuz that's why I planted the seeds!) :grinnnn:  Anybody have a pic of them when they first break ground ...or shortly thereafter?

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 12:45:46 PM by Patty S »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Identifying seedlings
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2008, 12:53:48 PM »
I think this is a great idea. I know I've pulled things I shouldn't have. :Blush:

This is showy rattlebox:

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2008, 01:02:58 PM »
Thanx, Sarah! :NewHug: (I guess this means I hafta weed now, cuz you just took my only excuse away!)

Hey, another one I need to ID is Sea Holly.  (I know you have that one, cuz I the seeds came from your garden.)  Got any baby pics of it?

Another one I'm looking for is morning glory. :dunno:
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 01:05:20 PM by Patty S »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2008, 01:09:15 PM »
This is sea holly:

Offline Patty S

« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
Thanx again! :kissies: That's EXACTLY what's coming up, where I planted the Sea Holly seeds! :Yahoo:  (Funny, how that works!)

Here's what's coming up in the pot where I planted my Morning Glory seeds, but they look more like those yellow dandilion cousin things. :ScratchHead:

I planted them in the poorest, deadest dirt I could find (which isn't hard to do, around here), but somehow I just don't think these are morning glories.

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 02:06:34 PM by Patty S »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2008, 02:46:58 PM »
Sorry Patty, those don't look like morning glory seedlings at all. Did you soak the seeds overnight?

Here's a photo of mine:

This is nasturtium:

And cilantro:

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 02:57:38 PM by barleychown »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
I have a few for ya'll.

Marigold

Dill

Corriander

Basil

Purple Basil

Sage

Red Cockscomb

Love Lies Bleeding

Lychnis

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2008, 06:45:25 PM »
Great shots, Triss!

Lupine

Malva

knautia macedonia (burgundy pincushion)

Offline Patty S

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2008, 08:47:12 PM »
OK, last night I called my friend from the garden club who gave me the Morning Glory seeds, & told her they didn't sprout for me, so she invited me to come to her house & get some plants! :Yahoo:  This looks more like it, huh? :wink5:

However.... the one on the lower right, in the pic, doesn't look like the other two, to me. :dunno:  (These are the blue, huge & beautiful ones that she had draped across her porch last year.)
       I can't wait for my front porch to look like that! :Glee:

Now I have another question. I planted Four O'clocks in the same place I had them last year & some have broken ground, so I know what they look like... but are the ones on the left the same thing?

I didn't get very many seeds last year, so I'm thinking that maybe a few of them snuck past me & planted themselves.  If they aren't Four O'clocks, I don't have clue what else they might be. :ScratchHead:

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008, 08:50:16 PM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »
This is a great thread.  Thankyou to all who have contributed. 

Offline Patty S

« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2008, 01:55:31 AM »
HELP!  I planted red & purple poppy seeds a couple months ago, in the bed next to our driveway, & I got tired of waiting for something to happen there.  So, today I got down & started pulling things out that didn't look like anything I'd planted, with plans to put some rooted Cosmo plants there. (I planted Nigella & Sea Holly at opposite ends of the same bed, & they're doing fine.)

While I was doing this, my neighbor came by & we walked over to the edge of the yard, to look at where I'd tossed (thousands) of flower seeds into the field.  (Those are doing great, BTW!) :Yahoo:  That's when I noticed a row of seedlings next to my Cannas... THAT LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE WHAT I'D BEEN PULLING UP,  & I remembered that I'd also planted some of the red & purple poppy seeds there! :Groaner: 

I'm hoping... (or maybe NOT hoping) that they're poppies.

Poppies are the only things I planted by the Cannas, but other types of poppies that I planted in planters (which have come up & are budding out now) never looked anything like these, at any stage of their growth... & I just can't remember ever seeing poppy seedlings that look fuzzy, like these little plants are. :ScratchHead:

I did empty out my weed bag & put the fuzzy ones back in the bed!  :Whis:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2008, 06:56:14 AM »
Ouchie.  I hope they all come back for you and are poppies.  I've got my fingers crossed.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2008, 10:05:36 AM »
Those are, beyond a doubt, rose campion (lychnis).

Here are a few of mine that self-seeded...

And some I seeded...

Triss also has some pictured.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2008, 10:31:01 AM »
These are from seeds that I received from Sarah (BC) and/or Patty. I am not sure what any of these are and I am sure Reyla doesn't remember. :giggle: These are the ones that she helped me plant... ::)

Help, please... :grinnnn:

And, Patty, those look like four o'clock seedlings to me in reply #8! :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2008, 10:21:06 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »
:Groaner: How did THOSE get there?!  I planted POPPIES! :SmileyFit:

Lychnis

I saw that, but I didn't recognize the name & I knew I didn't have any seeds with that name, so I skipped over it.  (Learn something every day!) :BigGrin:

I'm thinking that I got the poppy seeds in too late, there.  I guess I can live with the Rose Campion, cuz I'm aiming for "no visible dirt" this year, so it doesn't really matter what's there!  
(Thanx, Sarah.) :kissies:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: Jun 12, 2008, 10:43:46 AM »
Dianna, #1 is still too young for me to decide.

#2 looks a lot like black eyed susan to me...did you plant those?

#3 looks very zinnia-ish to me...I bet Patty sent you some of those seeds.

#4 looks like calendula seedlings, possibly, or coreopsis.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2008, 10:56:02 AM »
Sarah, I will take some more pics next week after everything has grown a bit more. As for asking if I planted BES, I haven't a clue. Did you send me some? It is a possibility, if so... :laugh1:

I think I did plant some calendulas, but am not positive on those or the zinnias? I had a young'un helping me, remember? :laughmao:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »
Sarah, couldn't #2 be Rose Campion?  They look a lot like my younger seedlings, before they get the points on their leaves. (The first pic in my post above, with the penny.) :dunno:

#3 does look "Zinnia-ish", but none of mine have that flower bud tucked so closely inside the leaves...

I think that Sarah's right on #4... Coreopsis & Calendula look nearly identical when they're little like that, & I sent you seeds for both, Dianna.

I'm thinking that #1 just might be Dianthus (Sweet William).  Here's what mine look like right now...

If I remember right, I sent you some of those, too.

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2008, 11:24:10 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
If I remember right, I sent you some of those, too.

I think you and Sarah sent me so many seeds that it would be easier to say what y'all didn't send me! :laugh1:

Thanks for helping me ID these things, Ladies. This is a great topic! :ThumbUp:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #19 on: Jun 12, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
balsam aka touch me not

poppy

pansy

marigold

nasturtium

columbine

coreopsis

foxglove

the snapdragons were blurry. I'll re do them tonight or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2008, 11:10:54 AM by Patty S »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #20 on: Jun 12, 2008, 01:04:42 PM »
#4 looks like calendula seedlings, possibly, or coreopsis.
they have tht sort of fuzzy look to them. My coreopsis look sleeker. I'd say calendula.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Patty S

« Reply #21 on: Jun 12, 2008, 09:20:24 PM »
Thanx for those seedling pics, Wren. :grinnnn:  I've got Touch-Me-Not's coming, & now I know what to watch for.

Do you know what kind of Poppies yours are?  Earlier this year, Sarah-bc & I bought some Poppy seeds from onestoppoppyshoppe.com, & some of mine are getting ready to bloom now.  I see from your pic that some of the leaves on yours are yellowing, like mine have been doing.  (Thats a good thing!  I thought I had over or under watered them & they were dieing already!) :eek:  Do you know what causes that?  I wonder if it would hurt to pick the yellow leaves off. :dunno: (I just think they look tacky.) :BigGrin:

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2008, 10:32:40 PM by Patty S »

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #22 on: Jul 07, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »
I left the leaves alone and the upper ones hide them now. I dont know if pinching them off would hurt the plant or not. Mine are mixed. I dont know what the varieties are.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #23 on: Jul 07, 2008, 01:50:53 PM »
Dianna, in reference to your reply #13 pics... Although it's probably bloomed, so you know by now, I'm sure your pic #2 is a Zinnia.  I know that your gardens are way ahead of ours, here on the West coast, & the Zinnia I posted earlier has that little bud in the center now, like yours did.

Coreopsis & Calendula seedlings (as well as the plants themselves, sometimes) are difficult to tell apart, but the leaves of those are distinctively different than Zinnias, once they get their true leaves.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal