Author Topic: Alfalfa Tea  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Alfalfa Tea
« on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:44:57 PM »
With all the buzz that is around here about alfalfa lately, I have found I have a couple of questions. How would I make alfalfa tea? And how often would I use it? I am sure we could all benefit with the answers.... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Alfalfa Tea
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »
This is a great site for one method:

http://www.dixieroseclub.org/alfalfa_tea.html

The thing to remember is that there are hundreds of different ways to do it, and no one way is right.

I personally do mine in a 15 gallon bucket, and add whatever stikes me that day. Sometimes it's epsom salts, sometimes kelp meal...the list goes on.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:21:05 PM »
I had to go back and look at what subject this was in. I thought you were making tea for human consumption. Epsom salts and kelp can be for people too but........
I have only ever made compost tea and also used the stuff that drains off of my worm farm.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline patches

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »
I had to go back and look at what subject this was in. I thought you were making tea for human consumption. 

I'm with you on that one, Tina, because I thought the same thing! :oops:  I guess the first thing that made me do a double-take was Sarah's comment about making fifteen gallons since that's a lot of tea. :yikes: Of course, when she mentioned adding Epsom Salts to the tea all I could think of was never leaving my bathroom, since Epsom Salts is also used as a Laxative!!!   :rofl1:  :laugh1:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Patty S

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2008, 11:48:56 PM »
I use alfalfa pellets EVERYWHERE... even on the lawn.  Sarah-bc turned me on to it, & now I swear by it.  I've never tried the tea though, but plan to get some started. I also use the liquid from the bottom bin of my worm farm (but I've learned to dilute it, or it can turn into a thick mud, when it dries). :thpullhairout:

Tina, my daughter, Shelly, eats Seaweed... (I think that's the same thing as Kelp), & so does Lil'.  It's VERY strange to see that baby chewing on what looks like a piece of dark green paper! :yikes: As for the Epsom Salts, I sure hope a person NEEDS it before they ingest it, cuz they could find themselves "sitting" for a long time! :eek:  :giggle:
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2008, 12:09:42 AM by Patty S »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2008, 10:54:48 AM »
I started my first batch of alfalfa tea for this season a few days ago. This is what it looks like right now:

I'll let it sit today in the sun, and it should be ready to use tonight, maybe tomorrow. I'm waiting for the foam to start, and the yeast like smell. :waiting:

Offline patches

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »
Actually, Sarah, I have a great container that would work for this   :yesssss:  and I might even try it sometime; but, right now, I figure I'm in pretty good shape with my compost tea and worm tea.  ;) 

"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Tonya

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2008, 01:52:43 PM »
Can you make a "tea" with pig poo? or chicken poo?  My compost got neglected and is just a pile of grass at this point.....

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2008, 08:53:55 AM »
Tonya, I must have missed this question! I'm sorry.

You sure can...that would make it a manure tea, and I know of several people who use it. Bunny poo is very popular for that.

You can also make tea out of finished compost, should you ever have some. That's a great way to make a little bit of compost go a long way. :ThumbUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal