Author Topic: Plants That Don't Like Fertilizer  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Patty S

Plants That Don't Like Fertilizer
« on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:34:29 PM »
As I plan out my garden beds, I'm thinking about maybe saving myself some time during the growing season by planting things together, that require pretty much the same care. :happy: 

I know that there are several plants that do better in poor soil (such as clay) than they would in the type of dirt we'd prefer to have in our garden beds; ones that actually won't grow very well, or put out near as many flowers, if they're fertilized. :o  Morning Glory & Nigella are two that come to mind... & even though Sarah-bc & I talked about this recently, I cant, for the life of me, remember the other ones on that list! :dummy:
                                :feedback:
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2008, 10:43:43 PM by Patty S »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Plants That Don't Like Fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:58:10 PM »
Well, I know calendula and ice plant don't mind poor soils, but also do well in enriched soil. Sunflowers are another that can go either way.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2008, 12:14:35 PM »
I know that there are several plants that do better in poor soil (such as clay) than they would in the type of dirt we'd prefer to have in our garden beds;

Actually, Patty, I've always done it that way because and it really didn't require much advance preparation or extra work.  :smileyNo:  The plants that loved the good soil soil went into beds I had already amended and the ones that liked the clay soil went into beds I was just starting.   :idea:   :rofl1:   :laugh1:  It was a no-brainer!!!  ;) 
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »
I think columbine might be one that does not like fertilizer. Not sure though.
This is me ->?

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2008, 08:29:55 AM »
nasturtiums set more flowers in poorer soils

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal