Author Topic: Clivia  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Clivia
« on: Apr 24, 2008, 06:21:11 AM »
A co-worker gave me a clivia start a bunch of years ago. Then about 3 years ago I almost killed it by leaving it in a room that got too cold at night. Hasnt bloomed for the past 2 or 3 years. well..............

It's blooming now!

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tonya

Re: Clivia
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2008, 06:49:34 AM »
Cool!! Glad it survived and finally forgave you! Must be a stubborn plant to hold a grudge that long....

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2008, 08:29:15 AM »
Not all of my clivia bloom every year. I grow them outdoors and they are something like an every other year type bloomer. Very pretty, Wrennie. Good job. If I were reduced to growing indoors only I would have a lot of pots sitting around with dead plants in them. Wait! I do.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2008, 09:01:09 AM »
Thats so pretty Wrennie, i am glad that it survived for you!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2008, 11:08:58 AM »
I would have a lot of pots sitting around with dead plants in them. Wait! I do.
:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

This one bloomed every year before i tortured it. I'd love to have a start of a yellow one.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2008, 11:11:25 AM »
That is a beautiful plant.  Does it have a smell?  What conditions does it like.  I would love that color in my bathroom.  Gotta add it to my list.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2008, 11:48:15 AM »
Well it sure doesn't like to freeze! :laugh1: I'll sniff it when I go home, never noticed a strong perfumey smell around it. I treat it like I do geraniums (indors) . Bright indirect light. water when its dry to the touch. I'd have to google for the "rules". If it grows enough to take a division I can send you a start. Maybe in fall if you dont find one by then.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »
Well I put it on my list and will be looking for it when I hit the garden center next.  We really want blooming plants in the bathroom and bedroom.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2008, 02:58:26 PM »
Clivia are one of the more expensive potted plants. I wanted one for years but wouldn't shell out the big bucks for them before a few fell in my lap. I can also send you starts,  Triss. Down the line anyway. I Am pretty darn busy these days.
Clivia miniata are south African native so they do the warm tropical thing. But mine have had snow and blooms on them at the same time. They bloom here outdoors from mid winter to very early spring. And then are just a clump of sword shaped leaves the rest of the year. Mine are in almost full shade and in the ground but they do pots quite well. Mine  are all the same color as Wrennie's. The yellows and reds are even more expensive.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »
Thanks for all of that info Tina.  I would love some when you get a chance but it certainly is not a hurry.  I have never sen it in the stores so the expensive part may be why it is not a WM plant. :grinnnn:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2008, 06:56:22 AM »
I too love the idea of indoor blooming plants.  Once I'm moved and settled in I plan to spend big bucks on an Arabian Jasmine.  Maybe after that I can go for a clivia.  The colors they bloom in are my favorites so I'll definitely look forward to trying to find them when the time comes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal