Author Topic: My hollyhock has a rash! What is it?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Patty S

My hollyhock has a rash! What is it?
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:31:35 PM »
                            HELP!
My Hollyhock is sicker than heck & looks like it has the measels! :SmileyNailbiting:

I looked at these spots with a magnifying glass (to see if they were moving) :eek: & they don't quite look like eggs or bugs of any kind, but more like the spore thingies that are found on the underside of fern leaves.

Anybody know what's going on with it? :ScratchHead:  My concern (besides having an obviously sick plant) is that it's in my veggie garden (a bird gift), & I don't want a bug or disease in there, that'll hurt my other plants this year!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: My hollyhock has a rash! What is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:34:58 PM »
Patty, it has hollyhock rust.  Check out this link : http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/hollyhockrust/hollyhockrust.htm

I've had luck treating it organically, but I'll have to dig out my notes to see what exactly I used.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:45:42 PM »
Wow, you're quick, Sarah! Thanx for the link... pretty interesting info there! :ThumbUp:

Funny thing about that rust... I have a Mallow that's about 30 feet from the Hollyhock, & it's just fine!  I'm wondering if there is something that can be sprayed on those plants to prevent this fungus stuff. :dunno:

From what the article says, I think it's safe to assume that my veggies can't catch it, but it sure looks awful! :SmileyFit:

Gimme a holler when you find your notes, so I'll know what to use on it.  (Should I assume that it's not going to do anything this year, other than getting well?)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 08:57:59 AM »
I have those on my tulip.  I'll be looking forward to the cure too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal