Author Topic: It's not my fault - Dragonwing Begonia  (Read 2150 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
It's not my fault - Dragonwing Begonia
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »
...it really isn't.  I got ambushed.  I went to the grocery store to get a few last things and there it was.  It was beautiful.  It was pure red.  The blooms looked exactly like tea roses.  How could I pass it by?  What was it you ask.  Well a Dragonwing Begonia of course.  Now I've got to study up on them because I know nothing about them.  Well except that it has the most attractive flowers I've seen recently.

Ok now I'm definitely not buying any more plants until I get to the new place.  That's it, I'm done, Not going to buy anymore...well I'll try not to anyway lol.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 11:08:30 AM by Jim »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: It's not my fault - Dragonwing Begonia
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »
You are so cute!  I would not have passed it up either.  You see things you know will be great in the new house and you just cannot help yourself.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »
Exactly!!!  It was screaming take me home I'm perfect.  And it is.  Well except that it is an annual.  But it is suppose to be easy to take cuttings from to start in water.  So that's what I'll be doing after it gets larger.  It is so cute, right now the blooms are bigger than the plant lol. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »
Aren't begonias pretty? I probably couldn't have resisted, either... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:40:57 PM »
I really love begonias, Duh!  I like that they can take both sun and shade.  My friend sold the Angelwing begonias when she had her Garden Shop and she had some pink ones that were gorgeous.  :Wow:  Unfortunately, they were all in the hanging pots and I don't have many places to hang them.  :(
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »
I was wondering if they came in different colors.  I'm going to have to find someone I can trade cuttings with.  I definitely can't start spending 12.00 a plant for things lol.  I'd have to take out a second mortgage.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »
Duh, angel wings are easy to care for. All they ask is for some sun, some water, and some food. I've had mine as a house plant for the last 5 years, and he gets haircuts regularly to keep him managable sized. I'll think of you next time.  :grinnnn:

They come in many sizes and stlyes, each with a slightly different bloom color. I'll post some pics of mine Sunday or Monday.

There are also dragon wing begonias.  :Whis:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:35:53 PM »
Duh, the Angel wing begonias come in a variety of colors, but the pink one is my favorite!  ;)  Today, when I was at Farmer's Market they had one called
'Mandarin Orange' that was absolutely gorgeous, but it was in a large pot and  cost $24.95.  :yikes:  Of course, I guess they have all the plants and flowers  marked up for Mother's Day.  :SmileyFit:

"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 06:34:19 AM »
That makes sense I guess.  Hard on the heart when you see something you want but it is to costly.  That happens to me from time to time.  But I just plan on waiting and saving until I can get each plant that I want.

Offline patches

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 12:45:47 PM »
Well, I usually don't mind stretching the budget to buy a perennial I really love, but I can no longer justify spending that kind of money on an annual.  :smileyNo:  Of course, maybe I could just walk the 10 miles to get it and carry it back home then all the money I saved on gas would pay for it!   :yikes:    :rofl1:   :laugh1:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 12:47:19 PM by patches »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 07:19:11 AM »
lol that would work.  I can justify it in that it is easily rooted and can last several years if it is overwintered in the house.  And that is pretty much what I plan to do.  It's small right now but by fall I'm hoping that it is pretty good sized.  Then I'll take cuttings to overwinter indoors.

Offline patches

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 12:15:16 AM »
Well, that should work fine for you, Duh!   :yesssss:  My biggest problem is with all the trees around my house I really don't get enough good sunlight to keep plants growing in my house.  :SmileyFit:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 06:08:10 AM »
I have the CFS bulbs and a shop light in the shed so I should be able to overwinter those plants that I want to.  At least that is my hope.  I'm going to try.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal