Author Topic: Full shot garden photo's  (Read 5851 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Full shot garden photo's
« on: May 18, 2008, 10:01:29 AM »
I know we have several threads where there are full shots sprinkled in, but I thought a thread where we can all post full shots of our gardens would be neat. Sometimes, it's hard to get a feel for how you want to lay out a new bed, and I'm hoping this thread will give people some ideas.

I'll start. This is a full shot of my side garden, taken today:

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

Re: Full shot garden photo's
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 02:56:49 PM »
Geesh, Sarah, that side bed is awesome!   :applause:  It's great seeing pictures of different flowers and plants, but I love seeing the full shots of a garden because it gives you a chance to see how all the things blend together!   :yesssss:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Tonya

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:09:19 PM »
Gorgeous, Sarah!! I wish I could get motivated on my flowers, but my veggies are demanding all my time and attention for now. **sigh** I'll live vicariously through all of y'all! :ThumbUp: Keep those pics coming!!

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »
That's a really nice garden. I would be happy if any of my beds looked that good.
This is me ->?

Firefly

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »
Tonya, full shots of your veggie garden would be just as beautiful to me!!  :ThumbUp:

Sarah, I love your side garden. :applause:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »
Ok here are mine.  Patty, my iris are finally starting to bloom... I love them!  My garden is nowhere near full bloom yet, summertime is its time to shine.  All of the clumps of grass-like plants are my daylillies, well all but the large clumps of grass... :grinnnn:

From the left side of the house.

And to the right of the porch.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:20:19 PM by Triss »

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
Tonya, full shots of your veggie garden would be just as beautiful to me!!  :ThumbUp:

Right now, it is a little neglected- sick kids and all. I hope to get it back in shape and get some pics by the weekend, tho! :ThumbUp:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 11:50:42 AM »
I love your irises.  I hope to add a bunch of them to my new place once I get situated.

Hey Triss yours is really comming along.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 09:56:39 PM »
Quote from: barleychown
Sometimes, it's hard to get a feel for how you want to lay out a new bed, and I'm hoping this thread will give people some ideas.
That's a great idea for a thread, Sarah. :yesssss:  One thing that's missing though, is plant identification, in case anyone wants to copy someone else's garden bed, or needs ideas for what to plant in theirs.  Your bearded iris are awesome! (I'd like to get my hands on a rhizome or two, from the pink one & the peach colored one!) :wink5:

What are the tree-looking tall plants... roses?  Also, I'd like to know what the shorter plants are, in front of the iris.  Is that lithodora (the blue stuff that's creeping up onto the blocks)?  How long did it take to get that bed looking so loved?

Your front bed looks like it's had its fair share of TLC as well, Triss! :ThumbUp: I'm so glad that your iris decided to bloom for you this year! :clap:  Are they all turning out to be the same color?  (I can get more colors to you, the next time our paths cross, if you want.  Heaven knows I'm not short on iris here!) :giggle:

I see your barberry bushes & the day lilies in your first pic, but I forget what kind of tree that is, with the white bark... weeping birch? :dunno:  Are those your buttercups I see under the tree? (The yellow flowers.)  I just love my turban buttercups, & refuse to call them "weeds" until after they spread to places I don't want them... which isn't very likely to happen! :BigGrin:

What are the blue flowers next to the corner of the porch?  Are those pink columbines that are trying to hide under the day lilies?

I don't have much blooming in my gardens yet, but what I did have was fried in the heat wave we had last week. :SmileyFit:   Several things are waking up now though, so I should have some pics soon... I hope.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 12:17:20 AM »
Patty,  I have had all pale purple so far.  Looks like I am going to get a dark purple as well.  It is a weeping birch and buttercups too.  The blue flowers are actually purple columbine as are the pinks, there are also yellows in the back middle of the garden that did not make it out in those shots.  They are just starting to bloom now.   Today I cut several of the iris and the purple columbine for my MIL at the hospital.  It made a beautiful arrangement.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 08:05:01 AM »
Very nice pics you guys!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »
Triss, it's looking great!!! Nice and full.

Here is the side of my front yard:

And, a shot back towards the porch from the street:

Please ignore the weeds. I am. :Whis:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 03:26:02 PM »
Looking good out there, Ladies! :ThumbUp: Sure can't wait to see some of my gardens fill in and look pretty.... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »
Love the purple bunches of flowers Sarah, what are they.  Looks really nice out there.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 06:39:57 PM »
The tall purple is dame's rocket. It self-seeds pretty freely, much like the rose campion. However, it's easy to pull the ones that end up where you don't want them...

Offline Tonya

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 06:59:31 AM »
:Wow: You guys have done a fabulous job!! Triss- Your is filling out so well! I know you are glad to see all of it doing so well! Sarah- I want to steal your gardens for my house!! It would help hide all the "flaws" in my house with a garden like that!!

Keep those pics coming ladies!! All my stuff is in post this year until I have time in the fall to do something with it! :ThumbUp:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »
wow barleychown, I too hope to have a mature garden one of these days that looks as full and wonderful as yours. 

I'm still planning my little heart out trying to find a place for everything without having to loose any of the trees.  Other than the select cuts for the fireplace that is.  I just don't want to have to clear any space.  You know what I mean?

Offline patches

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 12:26:35 AM »
Geesh,Sarah, your front yard looks wonderful   :yesssss:  and you have so many things already blooming.  :shock:  It been a slow start for things around here with the cooler weather and all the rain.   :SmileyFit:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Patty S

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 11:08:28 PM »
Now that our motor home is gone from our parking area for the summer, I decided to make a new garden bed out there... in a spot that would otherwise be hidden by the RV.   (I wish we could be rid of the motor home, cuz not only does it impede guest parking & block off an area where a permanent garden could be, but it seriously wrecks our view out the living room window.)

I started killing off the weeds in the spot next to the Quince bush & the Juniper "Octopus", when we learned that Shelly was coming for the summer (we offered to park the RV at LaRelle's house, so she & Lily could have their own place to live), so the garden spot was all ready for some amending & top-dressing by the time the RV was moved.  I finally finished the planting this morning.

I ended up with several Datura plants from one of my winter sowing bags & just yesterday I happened to find that my big Datura had actually survived the winter, so I moved it to the new bed, along with the starts.  (I'd given up on it, cuz the only thing I'd seen from it all spring had been the dead stems from last year. :yikes: I  was really happy to see that it was still alive!) 

Behind those, I planted my winter-sown Love Lies Bleeding (Amaranthus) at the base of an old plant stand (for lack of something else to use for support as it gets tall).  I glue-gunned some plastic bird netting between the legs & up the whole height of the plant stand, cuz I think there are enough plants there, to cover the whole thing.  Since I don't have a bird bath, I put an old deep dish pizza pan on the top of the plant stand... (with a glass dish "insert", to make it look classy!)  :giggle:  Last year, the birds apparently didn't know it wasn't a "genuine" bird bath, cuz the quail hung around it a lot, with their new babies! :clap:

I can't remember now, which Datura seeds I started in the winter sowing bag, but Dianna sent me purple & white ones, & I also had some unknown ones from somewhere else.  Whether they turn out to be the big white trumpet flowers, or the smaller purple & white ones, I'm sure they're going to look great!  I had used a lot of Preen in that spot, so I couldn't plant seeds there, but I have some annuals started in a separate bed & will be moving them to this spot as "fill-ins", after they come up. 

My succulent wheelbarrow is nearby, & although the Hen & Chicks & all the Sedum seem to be content, none of it is doing anything exciting yet.

With the new bed, I like this little corner of my yard already, & can't wait to see how it turns out when everything blooms. :Yahoo:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:21:44 PM by Patty S »

Offline patches

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 12:01:53 AM »
Hey, Patty, nice job and it's looking great, but what happens to the bed when the RV comes back?   :ScratchHead:

Geesh, I sure wish I was getting half as much accomplished as everyone here it doing in their yards because it seems like my yard work is on hold.  :SmileyFit:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 12:06:27 AM »
I see the octopus leg sticking out toward the bird house in the last picture... :grinnnn:

I can't wait to see this when it all fills in. You have been working a lot out there since the RV has moved. I know you are going to hate having the thing come back home. :grinnnn: What
happens to the new garden bed when the RV returns?

I love that turned over wheelbarrow, too. If mine bites the dust, I will be borrowing that idea. It looks great! :ThumbUp:

I can't wait to get the pond memorial garden finished so I can post pictures, too!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 11:10:49 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 11:32:42 PM »
I'm not going to like having the RV come back home AT ALL, Dianna! :SmileyFit:

What happens to the new garden bed when the RV returns?

Keith doesn't like parking it on the far side of the Quince bush, cuz he says it's too heavy to be so close to the bluff that's right past the edge of the asphault. :rolleyes1: (I say, let the darned thing cave the road in & roll down the hill... then it'll B paid 4, & we'll have our view back! :Whis:  It only gets 8MPG anyhow, so we sure aren't going anywhere in it!) :tickedoff:

When he parks it, he backs it up to the very end of the parking area, unless he needs to level it for company, at which time it becomes our "guest house".  (He can't level it when it's backed in, cuz there's no traction on the front wheels.)

As you can see from where the wheelbarrow & the octopus are, the last 10 feet of the RV sits directly above the spot where I just created that new bed!  If he noses it into the Quince, the back end sticks out too far into the driveway, which makes it harder to turn cars around.  I think I'll ask if we can "store" it at LaRelle & Tyler's house, when Shelly is done using it.

I'm glad you asked that question, Dianna, cuz it gave me the opportunity to show people what a "Juniper Octopus" is!   It was one heck of a challenge to trim the huge shrub like that & it took more than a week to get it done, but it turned out really nice, & doesn't require any maintenance, other than giving it a trim once in a great while.  The pic was taken in June of 2006, on the 5th day of my project, & as you can see, I tossed the trimmings onto a big tarp so it could be pulled up the hill when I was done.  (That stuff is nasty to work with, & I had to wear gloves & long sleeves, to keep from breaking out. I wasn't about to bag it as I cut, cuz I didn't want to handle it any more than necessary!)

The wheelbarrow had seen its last day, about a year before I finally made a planter out of it, but we kept forgetting to take it to the dump!  Unfortunately, the RV is a much bigger albatros than the wheelbarrow was, & Keith says I can't make a planter out of it!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 12:48:50 AM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 05:59:18 AM »
more pictures please?  I love this thread.  I really need to see all the beds everyone has so I know how to go about doing mine.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 09:34:26 AM »
Patty, I just LOVE the octopus! I'm not sure I've ever seen a pic of it before. You did an awesome job shaping it...way better than some of the pro's do around here! :ThumbUp:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 05:50:44 AM »
I can't wait to have something to add to this topic.  This is worse than spring fever.  soooooooon.......soooooooon.......lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal