Author Topic: Planting edible landscaping  (Read 2714 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Planting edible landscaping
« on: May 28, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
Now that I have most of my favorites planted, like snowball bush, lilacs, and weeping willows, this year my focus is on planting more edibles in my gardens. So far I have 2 cherry trees, 2 peach trees, two plum trees, and two pear trees. I also have a raspberry patch going, and blackberries, until I replace them with something else, like tayberry or loganberry.There are 10 blueberry bushes, a bed of strawberry plants, plus what is in the planters above the blueberries, and three gooseberry bushes.I have ordered two persimmon trees this week, because I like the idea of fruit you can harvest in November or December.

I'm also working on incorporating more herbs in my flower gardens, and tucking pepper plants, onions, and garlic into my current beds.

Have you thought about mixing in some edibles?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:28:25 PM by barleychown »
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Planting edible landscaping
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:22:07 PM »
Artichokes are good looking in with taller perennials. Mine didn't get enough sun and died trying. Asparagus looks good with your posies. These are also cool weather harvests. I like mixing edibles in with the flowers. 
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
The only edibles I mix in are tomatoes, peppers and herbs.  This year most of them are in their own containers though.  I would like to try lettuces next year.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »
Tina, I just put in an artichoke. I'm hoping it settles in well. I started some asparagus from seed, and it's about 3" now...hopefully it thrives.

Triss, no need to wait until next year for the lettuces...pick up a few packs of seeds now, and plant them in the fall. You can harvest until the first hard freeze. :ThumbUp:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
That is what I meant by next year... next season I suppose... I know I can do them when it is going to be cooler though with the way the weather has been lately, they may just do well now.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 11:07:12 PM »
Because of the deer population around here, I don't dare incorporate veggies into my flower beds, but I think it sure would look cool. :clap:

I am, however, planting a few flowers in my veggie garden this year... mostly different kinds of Marigolds, cuz they'll help keep the bugs away & add more color. (I just need to remember that I planted them there, cuz I hoe the weeds out while they're still little, out of habit!) :Whis:

I'm also planting Basil in flower beds, just about everywhere around the yard, cuz they make great border, background & fill-in plants, besides helping to discourage flower loving bugs.  (All my beds except the shade garden are in full sun, & Basil really loves that.)

Offline patches

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:59:53 AM »
I've put my green peppers and some of my Basil in one of my flower beds, but I have some Basil in a container too!  I have my tomatoes in a bed, but I started two bush tomatoes in two big pots.  ;)
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:49:16 AM »
I like this idea. I think that squash makes a pretty plant.
This is me ->?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:22:13 AM »
I forgot to add that I put in two kiwi vines last week, 4 grape vines, and have a fig tree. It even has little figs on it this year. :hb3:

I'm also going to mix some nasturtuims into the strawberry boxes on the fence. I'm thinking of using the trailing variety, so they hang down and don't bug the berries.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2008, 10:14:52 AM by barleychown »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2008, 06:28:02 AM »
I think that is a great idea.  I plan on putting the garlic in the foundation bed and the chocolate mint on the sunny side of the shade garden.  I bet that sounds funny doesn't it lol.  But that's where I plan on putting it.  As soon as I cool off some.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, Duh. I keep forgetting to mix in some onions and garlic throughout my front flower beds. I think the spike leaves will add a nice touch to the flowers, and I'll have the added bonus of eating them at the end of the season!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »
WOw Sarah, how much property do you have??
I have a bunch of fruit trees that were here and added a cherry last year. I also have deer and bunnies galore so veggies have to be fenced in.
I did see an article in a magazine once where the gardener used a border of red and then a border of green leaf lettuce around a bunch of impatiens. It looked really cool.
I do have some nasturtium seeds in the garden, they get eaten by me. I've always had some herbs mixed in the flower beds, and some flowers are herbs, such as my bee balm, & mallow. Lemon balm is in the flower bed too. Chives (another flower/herb) were in the perrenial bed but they get too much shade now that the b.balm and evening primrose have filled in.
I think Spider wort is an herb too, right? (off to google) thats also in the perrenial bed.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:40:35 AM »
Wrennie, my back yard is 65' by 130' roughly, and the front and side gardens are fairly small. I beleive in using every available inch to grow plants. :BigGrin:

Mike and I have just finished the herb beds by the greenhouse, and those are filling in nicely as I find herbs I want.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal