Author Topic: "Discovery Garden"  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Patty S

"Discovery Garden"
« on: Jun 05, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »
Yesterday I paid a visit to the gardens that are managed by our local Master Gardeners, to see "what's up".  I just love that place, cuz there's so much to see, everything is so well cared for, &  it's a place where a person can pick up some great ideas.

The path leading through their rose garden is so pretty, with Stella de Oro Daylilies scattered throughout.

Their succulent displays are awesome, & some of them are pretty clever.

I must say though, that I had my succulents in a tipped wheelbarrow, long before they ever put theirs in. (Ours somehow never made it to the dump after it died... have I ever mentioned that I never throw "good junk" away?) :Whis:

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008, 11:39:00 PM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

Re: "Discovery Garden"
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2008, 11:30:48 PM »
Last year, they expanded their grounds & added a container gardening area, geared for handicapped gardeners.  I hadn't been there since last fall & was very impressed with all the things they've added. :ThumbUp:   
The sign on the front of the table planter reads, "A raised container, designed to make gardening easy for those with walkers or wheelchairs."

"Potatoes are planted in loose straw bales, leaving them clean and easy to harvest."

"A medium size box with trellis for holding two grape vines."

"A wine barrel cut in half lengthwise and planted with everbearing strawberries."

Offline Patty S

« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2008, 11:32:59 PM »
They're also using wine barrels to grow zukes & cukes,

"A container with a trellis that can be raised and lowered by a pulley system.  It allows for easier picking, especially by wheelchair users."

"Planters made from recycled truck brake drums and planted with annuals for seasonal color."

Then, of course, there's the standard bathtub planter, for those who don't have a pickup to haul their old one away in!   (I'll bet Keith is glad we don't need a new tub!) :laughmao:

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2008, 12:44:18 AM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2008, 11:34:55 PM »

They've designed a kiddie section, where they have fun things like a sand box, 

a sun dial & calendar,

a tunnel to run through, that's draped with several varieties of Clematis,

and a tile hopscotch & a picnic table.

In this pic, what looks like "weeds" are actually Foxglove starts, from the seeds that blew over there from the ABC garden last fall.  I never go there without a couple ziplock baggies, so I gathered up several of those plants for my yard!    (It's OK if we do that... in fact, the Master Gardener crew welcomes the "help", cuz it's that much less that they'll have to hoe out!)
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008, 11:59:00 PM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2008, 11:37:08 PM »

They put an ABC garden in the kiddie area, & it's really cool.  The only thing I don't especially like about it, is that some of the plants are toxic...

...but maybe it's not possible to make one of those with all "safe" plants. :dunno:  (The facility isn't in a location where little kids can go there on their own, so hopefully, accompanying adults will stay with them, to be sure that they don't eat any of the displays.)

I'm going back again when the Lilies bloom.  I think they must have every type & color there is! :Glee:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2008, 11:56:52 PM »
They sure have done a lot with that space since I was there with you.  They have so many clever ideas for container gardening.  I am going to have to try the potatoes one though the tomatoes one has me stumped because if you move around the stems that much, won't they break?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »
They really have done a lot of work around there since you were here, Triss!  In fact, they're building a couple more greenhouses for their plant starts.  I was thinking about putting these pics in a different thread, but I guess I'll go ahead & include them here.

They're using mostly recycled materials, & I thought the construction was pretty interesting.

:tuschel: I guess they don't think that their massive spring plant sales are big enough! :yikes:

I took the 2 tires out of my veggie garden, that I had Bell Peppers growing in last year, & have Yukon Gold spuds growing in one now.  I noticed yesterday that they're poking their heads up, so it's time to add another tire. :clap:  After seeing the potatoes growing in hay at Discovery Garden, I'm wondering if I can use that, instead of dirt, in the additional tires. :ScratchHead:  (I have a half-dozen tires sitting over by the firewood box... might as well use them!) :wink5:

the tomatoes one has me stumped because if you move around the stems that much, won't they break?

Are you referring to the trellis that has the pully attached?  I probably should have mentioned that they have peas in that one. :SlapSelf: (I don't think I'd want to try putting tomato vines through that bending, either!)  If I remember right, they had their tomatoes in wine barrels.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2008, 01:19:42 AM by Patty S »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2008, 12:20:58 PM »
Well peas would be easier to harvest that way.

Love those greenhouses... lots of space to grow there. 

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »
That's really a beautiful place, Patty. Nice job with the pictures.
This is me ->?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »
That looks like a really neat garden, Patty! It's great that they let you take the mis-placed seedlings home with you. :9536:

Gosh, wouldn't it be great to have a greenhouse that size? Imagine what you could grow! Oh, and during our long cold rainy season, it would be like having the tropics in your back yard. No need to buy a plane ticket! (though, the plane ticket is probably cheaper than the heating bill!  :laughmao:)

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal