Author Topic: Coleus rooting ?  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Coleus rooting ?
« on: Jul 17, 2008, 12:20:10 PM »
Is it better to root coleus in water first and then plant, or just as effective to put the cutting right in soil to root?

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Coleus rooting ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »
I have never tried to root coleus, but if I did, I would put it straight into soil. That is what I have to do with my cuttings. For some reason, every time I try to root something in water, it dies on me. :Blush:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2008, 01:53:19 PM »
tee-hee I have this ? on 3 forums, 1 vote for water and 1 for soil so far. I'm leaning towards soil. I have rooted them in water, a couple of years ago, but they didnt do well when i then put them in soil.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
A friend of mine did a lot of coleus in water. I am not so good at the water thing. I like soil better. It has worked well for me with coleus and a lot of other plants as well.
I have heard that the roots that develop in water are not the best for transplanting into soil. And the professionals do all of their cuttings in soil in nurseries around the world. That tells me something.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline UNCLEG

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2008, 07:00:51 AM »
They root well either way.  I prefer rooting in soil, that way you skip a step.   Thats how we root them at the garden center I work at on the weekends.  Just keep soil moist.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »
I did it in soil and it seems to have worked out fine! Thanks all!

Hillhound

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2008, 06:17:56 AM »
If you can get the seed off the plant why bother rooting Coleus cuttings at all?

The seed is so prolific that from one plant you can get hundreds of new seedlings and you will also get many different colour combinations.

As it is normally treated as an annual then cuttings seem a bit of a waste of time and space impo.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2008, 07:30:21 AM »
Cause I stink at getting seeds to grow, like coleus on my windowsills in winter, & like these particular colors.

Hillhound

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2008, 08:33:12 AM »
Fair enough Wrennie,
It's just that they are so easy to grow from seed normally and cuttings from Coleus never seem to make as good plants as freshly grown seedlings.

Having re-read it my post does sound a bit brusque and it wasn't meant to be, sorry about that.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal