Author Topic: Got tulips?  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Got tulips?
« on: Mar 22, 2007, 07:12:32 PM »
I cannot believe that I have a tulip blooming!  :o I planted tulips around our "rock" that hides the water spout. I thought I had moved them all to our front bulb bed. Lo, and behold, I still have a bunch of them out there... ::)

I gave up on tulips last year when I didn't get a good show from them after the first blooming cycle. I didn't think SC stayed cold long enough to nurture them. I guess I was wrong...

Sure is pretty. I hope the others bloom, too...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

plants n pots

Re: Got tulips?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »
That looks so healthy, Dianna!  Can't wait to see it in full bloom!
I planted a bunch of tulips last fall - they are all currently under snow...
I do have problems with critters eating them, so I usually put a lot of stinky milorganite around them - it's actually made from human waste - PPPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUUU!!!
:P

But it works great! ;)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2007, 09:22:24 PM »
If I have to put milorganite around any of these things, I guarantee the deer are going to have a buffet!  ;D I don't want to have to deal with any stinky stuff!  :D
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »
Well they sure are pretty.
This is me ->?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2007, 12:08:54 AM »
They will grow in warm climates but often have shorter stems. I need to get pics of mine tomorrow. The wind yesterday did a job on them. But they are blooming.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2007, 12:37:47 AM »
I can't wait to see your tulips, Tina. I meant to get a picture of mine today when it opened....

I have a little area full of them, but that was the only one I noticed trying to do anything....

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:01:48 PM »
Opened tulip!

Are those little black things in the middle, seeds?

Offline Patty S

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2007, 04:55:12 PM »
Pretty, pretty, pretty! Mine are up, but not opened yet. Last year I noticed tulips coming up here & there, in different parts of the yard. The people that we bought this house from didn't know diddly about flowers (which was less than I knew when I first got here), & they'd planted things in very odd places. I thought I'd remember where all the tulips were, so I could dig the bulbs up & move them all to one area, but by the time I remembered to do it, there was no telling where they'd been! I'm definitely marking the spots so I can bring them up this year!

No, those black things aren't seeds. I think those are the upper parts of the stamens, where the pollen lives. Tulips do make seeds, but I don't think you'll want to bother with them, cuz it takes about 6 or 7 years for a seeded tulip to make a flower... it's just easier to bring them up in the fall & get a head start, with the babies that the bulbs always make. You might not get flowers from them during their first independent year, but at least you don't have to wait till you're so old you can't remember what they're called!

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007, 12:42:56 PM by Patty S »

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2007, 05:26:37 PM »
Those are Pretty, Dianna. It looks like a bumble bee in the middle.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2007, 07:12:43 PM »
Yesterday, while hobbling around outside, I noticed a yellow tulip getting ready to bloom. Of course I had to hobble back inside for the camera....

Today when Jim came home from work, I had him take a picture of the opened bloom for me...

So far, that one is the only one that I see that is going to be yellow in that bed. I thought I had gotten them all out, but they must really have liked that spot...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal