Author Topic: What fall bulbs do you plan on planting?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
What fall bulbs do you plan on planting?
« on: Aug 21, 2008, 10:23:19 AM »
It's almost bulb season around here! :yay_jump: This year I'm focusing on daffodils and crocus in the back gardens, and maybe some tulips in containers, if any call to me.  :giggle:

What's on your list?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: What fall bulbs do you plan on planting?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »
Hmmm. :ScratchHead: Is there a difference between Fall bulbs and Spring bulbs? :)

I planted a bunch of bulbs in Spring. I can't remember all of them, but I know that I planted some hyacinth, daffodils, and crocus. When I find a good sale, I am sure I will add even more to the front flower bed. :grinnnn: I need to evict the weeds out of there first, though... ::)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2008, 10:29:34 AM »
Generally, fall bulbs are ones that bloom in the spring, and spring bulbs are ones that bloom in the summer.

So, tulips and daffodils and such are fall bulbs, and things like dahlia, climbing lily, peony, canna and such are spring bulbs.

However, I also have purchased and planted "fall" bulbs in the spring. Confused yet?  :laughmao:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »
Very confused, Sarah! :giggle:

When I buy them, that is the season that they get planted. To me, it doesn't matter when they come up, as long as they do come up at some point in the year. :wink5: They need to be earning their keep... :laughmao:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Hillhound

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2008, 04:42:13 PM »
Daffodils both Large floweredd and Miniature are well up the list, Grape Hyacinth and Friesia, Crocus and Miniature Tulips too.

They all make good container colour from February through May.
 :Yahoo:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2008, 08:20:37 AM »
Yep I have crocuses, Daffodils, Tulips, and Hycinth to plant.  I'm going to wait until September to do it.  Then look out lol.  They are all going in the sidewalk bed.  The cardboard decomposed much faster than I anticipated.  But there is lots of nice soil there so it's time.  Woohoo.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2008, 12:30:20 PM »
I dunno that I am going to have a chance to get any bulbs in this fall though I want a bunch.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2008, 12:56:01 PM »
I hadnt thought about it until now.Probably a few more daffodils, I ad a couple each year, and the deer don't like them. And I'd like some more different grape hyacinths.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal