Author Topic: Begonia...I think I killed it  (Read 2568 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Begonia...I think I killed it
« on: Sep 10, 2008, 09:52:14 AM »
I decided to transplant one of the begonia's into a pot and bring it inside for the winter.  I didn't know that they grow multiple trunks.  I thought it was all one plant but it wasn't.  And it immediately wilted because it had grown in bark and there was no cohesiveness to the soil so it came out bare root.

I'll keep it until it turns brown but I don't hold out any hope.  I'll still get some cuttings off of the other ones out there.  Hopefully I will do better with them.  Although I haven't done all that well with cuttings so far either. 

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Begonia...I think I killed it
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2008, 10:11:19 PM »
Keep your fingers crossed, and baby it a bit, I broke a stem off one this spring, and planted it anyway, and it has limped along. It's filling in nicely now, and I am going to try wintering it over in the greenhouse.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2008, 05:54:58 AM »
I hope you have wonderful luck overwintering it.  They certainly are nice long lived flowers.  And mine got pretty big.

Offline UNCLEG

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »
Just something I do when I over winter begonias.  I live in SC so this may not work in all climates.  When winter sets in I take the pot of begonias sit them in a tree shaded ditch and cover with leaves and forget about it.  Come spring take it out of ditch, prune off dead ends and enjoy for the summer.  Does not always work but has most of the time.

Good Luck,

G

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2008, 05:50:08 AM »
Mine is inside and although it dropped most of it's blooms and layed over when I first brought it in it is doing better now.  I have high hopes it will make it until next year.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2009, 07:44:54 AM »
The red begonia survived.  I'm so pleased.  I'm leaving it in a pot by the front door.  And when I was at roses I came upon a yellow begonia.  So you know I had to get it.  And since it was in a hanging basket I had to get a hook for it too.  Now it is also by the front door.  I love flowers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal