Author Topic: Just a project  (Read 2701 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Just a project
« on: Sep 11, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
I'm making some improvements on the knife block I bought.  I sanded it down and now I'm polying it.  Yesterdays coat didn't dry sitting in the shed so I've brought it in the house.  Hopefully the humidity isn't quite so high in here.

Cross your fingers for me.

I'm also sharpening all of my black handled knifes to go in the block so it will look nice as well as be functional.  That's a major chore.  My knifes are cheap and don't take an edge worth a darn.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Just a project
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2008, 09:15:48 AM »
I bet it will look great when you are finished.

I have knives like that myself. I have bought myself two really nice prep knives, though, and use them most often.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »
Same here on the cheap knives.  I have a rare few that are nice but the others have to be sharpened before each use.  When a knife cannot cut a tomato, you know it is bad.  :grinnnn:

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2008, 06:42:25 AM »
Well I got another coat of poly on it so now it's wait for that to dry.  And last night I put an edge on my knives using a brick.  I had no idea that would work but I was watching dinner impossible and the chef used that to sharpen a knife when he was stuck in a renessanance fair and didn't have anything else.  You may not be able to shave with them but now I can cut carrots without them going all over the kitchen so I'm happy.  I have an entire set of knives that will actually do what they are suppose to do.  Woohoo

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2008, 10:21:55 AM »
Very creative!  Sometimes you just have to use what you have on hand.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2008, 06:43:52 AM »
The third coat of poly is dry and the knife block came out exactly like I wanted.  So the knives are in their new home and I'm feeling please that another "buy" and "to do" is off the lists.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause:

Great job, Tammy! Doesn't it make you feel fantastic knowing that you did a project and it came out just as planned? :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2008, 09:37:59 AM »
Very cool Tammy.  It is so nice that you acn do so much of that on your own and are not afraid to tackle new projects!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2008, 05:48:13 AM »
Yes, I love having a project turn out just the way I want.  I can't be afraid of projects, there isn't any money to have anyone do them for me.  Although having researched the shed roof problem I'm going to have to get assistance with that one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal