Author Topic: some kind of cocoon? [Solved] - Cottony Cushion Scale  (Read 1864 times)

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
some kind of cocoon? [Solved] - Cottony Cushion Scale
« on: Oct 03, 2008, 08:58:16 PM »
I have a photo of some kind of something that’s all over the roses at work. The little tiny dots actually grown into the white cocoon looking things.  Sure would like to know what they are, if they are going to hurt the roses, and how to get rid of them.  Problem is, we are not allowed any pesticides (Where I work is on prison/work camp grounds and very restricted due to inmates coming and going).  Anyone got any clues?

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2008, 09:02:01 PM by Jim »
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: some kind of cocoon?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »
Looks like they might be mealybugs to me... :unsure:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2008, 09:14:53 PM »
They are not moble Dianna, they are attached to the limb like a cocoon would be. They start as a little brown spot, the grow.. the brown spot gets bigger and almost looks like a head and the white grows from underneath and looks as if you pushed on it it would give like cotton, though I've never tried it.  You can see the little filaments where they are attached if you look real hard on the bigger ones.  Or I can, not sure you can in the photo, it's not quite clear enough.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2008, 09:19:02 PM »
Could it be a white tussock moth?
This is me ->?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
Scale bugs, perhaps?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008, 11:12:28 PM »
aphids maybe?

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
Re: some kind of cocoon? - SOLVED
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2008, 07:41:18 PM »
It was really slow at work today and since I'm that type that once I decide to figure something out, I don't normally give up until I do.. so I spend the first three hours of work researching this some more. And I found it!!  :Glee:    
(You were right Sarah)

Cottony Cushion Scale

This article talks about them on citrus trees and such, but I also found articles where they like roses too.

Now if I can just get the powers that be to do something about them. They are not my roses...
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2008, 07:46:54 PM by sunsoaker »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal