Author Topic: What kind of grass for my lawn?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
What kind of grass for my lawn?
« on: Sep 30, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »
I know I always have questions.  This one is about the kind of grass I should buy.  It gets hot here in the summer and we have about a month long drought in August and my yard is part sun and part shade.  So what kind of grass would you suggest?  Right now I have a number of different grasses in amongst the weeds.  I think the previous tentant tried a number of different kinds with out amending the soil first and he gave up way to quickly so I have quite a bunch of different kinds right now along with the weeds.

Should I just wait until I can weed feed the weeds into submission and then get the grass seed or should I seed while it's the right season and worry about the weed and seed come spring?

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: What kind of grass for my lawn?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »
Oh boy Tammy, that is a tough one.  I have no idea about lawn seed.  I would imagine that the best place to get an answer for that one would be your local Home Depot or gardening shop.  They would know your area best and be able to tell you what does well in your area that will grow both in sun and shade as well as what can handle any traffic you might have across the lawn.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:23:15 PM »
A local store should know. I forget where you live. Here for part sun part shade a mix of rye fescue and bluegrass.
Here this site might help --> http://www.lawngrasses.com/

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2008, 05:58:59 AM »
Thanks Triss and Wrennie.  I've gotten such bad information from the local places that I've given up asking them questions.  When I have to return something it's an expensive situation and that's happened twice now with the local place.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »
Here's what I've been looking at:

http://www.wildflowerfarm.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=4&pg=1&gclid=CKrtuKuk7ZQCFQLBsgod-Q55qg

But its so expensive. It would work for my issues though. Only it can't be used on the septic tank as its roots can grow a foot or more down. So I'd have to find an alternative for that spot.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2008, 06:52:52 AM »
It would only take one bag for me.  And no mowing would be great.  I could use it on the front lawn but like you not on the back where the septic system is. 

I still haven't went to the county courthouse to find out information on the septic system.  I will with time.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »
One bag I wish!!!!  The property in front of my house measure approx 100 x 200, and that's conservative estimate! (minus the area all the trees take up), so I figure about 20 5 lb. bags @ 32.95 each = ouch!  I'd be better off buying the 50 lb. bag at $299.50. Even at that, it wouldn't be what I needed. I'd have to let it spread. Either way, its more $$ than I planned on spending for the front of my property...
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2008, 05:26:11 AM »
My front yard is only about 8,000 sq feet so one bag would cover I think.  I think I am glad that most of my property is wooded.  Saves a lot of money that way.  But when I put in the rhoddies I want along the perimeter it'd going to be costly.  Especially since I want some yellow ones.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »
I think you'd need more than one bag Duh.  Taken right off the web site:

The 5lb bag of Eco-Lawn seed covers 1,000 sq. ft. (92.90 sq. m.)
Detailed seed installation instructions are printed in English, French and Spanish right on the bag!

My front area, if I am figureing things right is about 20000 sq. ft.  By my figuring you would need 8-5lb bags. or one 50 lb bag for you.  Of course I may not be figuring square footage correctly. Its length x width, right?
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2008, 07:52:46 AM by sunsoaker »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2008, 05:49:49 AM »
yes length times width.  I must have mis-read the amount a bag would cover.  Thank you for correcting me.  Well I certainly couldn't do that.  I guess I'll wait and weed the area first ,amend the soil, and then add the grass.  I really don't want much grass.  I want a specimen garden like alan has.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal