Author Topic: Ligustrum Shrubs  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Ligustrum Shrubs
« on: Nov 02, 2008, 09:47:15 PM »
Please tell me about your experiences, good or bad, with Ligustrums. I bought 12 five gallon pots to plant in my foundation bed. The guy that sold them to me told me that they are of the dwarf variety and would get no taller than 3 feet by 4 feet wide... :grinnnn:

I would like to know if any of you have them and are enjoying them or regretting that you planted them... :BigGrin:
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2008, 09:58:49 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Ligustrum Shrubs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2008, 11:09:39 PM »
I have only had the tall hedge privets, Dianna. They grew well with no problems that I know of.
So I looked in my book for your shorter version and only found one under six foot tall. L japonicum 'Rotundifolium' that says it makes a good foundation planting. Not much else there for you.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Ligustrum Shrubs
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2008, 07:34:21 AM »
Thank you, Tina. :NewHug: I was wondering if they would behave in the foundation area. He didn't really tell me what kind that they are, so it has been hard googling them. He pointed out some shrubs across the street and said that the shrubs I bought would look like those without trimming. They were mounded over and looked quite nice. He, also, said that they have purplish flowers in the Spring and that in the Winter the foliage changes to burgundy. Now that I have a name to search for, I will be able to google more information...

I have to add that the foliage is already changing. :grinnnn: They are very pretty... :applause:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal