Author Topic: Norfolk Island Pines  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Peggy

Norfolk Island Pines
« on: Dec 03, 2008, 01:10:13 AM »
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine has a Norfolk Island pine tree.  I was curious if she could plant it outside where she lives and if it would survive! 

So I googled, and looked it up in my handy dandy Sunset Western Gardening Book and here is what I found:

Norfolk Island Pine aka, Araucaria heterophylla

These trees are safe to plant in zones 17, 21-24 or outdoors in mild climates, and in a container anywhere.  Santa Rosa, California where my friend lives is in zone 14 and 15.  A little too cool for our friend Araucaria!

Araucaria. Although it is known as Norfolk Island pine, the plant is not a pine. On its native island in the Pacific Ocean, it is grown as a timber tree to a height of 200 feet. In its juvenile stages, the tree is grown in pots. This plant grows most actively in spring, but the soil should be kept dry during less active growth periods. Keep it away from strong light and repot to a larger pot. It requires deep sand and ample water supply and hence is suitable for cultivation in coastal areas.

Did you know?
Norfolk Island pines seeds are edible?

Trivia About Norfolk Pine
The pointed and arched leaves of the tree may cause allergic reactions in some people. It is widely used by the Hawaiian craftsmen in woodturning. South Florida produces Norfolk pines in huge numbers for aesthetic purposes, which are supplied to retail outlets and nurseries all over the world. In order to make them more appealing and attractive, they are often sprayed with a bright coating of green color.

Anyways, just thought I’d share!!  :happy: Peg

How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Norfolk Island Pines
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2008, 07:38:19 AM »
A lot of these are on sale in retail stores right now decorated for Christmas. We have a niece that buys one every year, then plants it in her yard when the holidays are over. They are beautiful... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Peggy

Re: Norfolk Island Pines
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2008, 05:38:22 PM »
yeah, I love them.  I was really hoping I put them all over the yard. They are so graceful looking.  It's a good thing I researched them for my friend, cause I found out they won't live here! dern it!

I'm glad you live in a place where you can have them. Someday you'll have to post a picture! :) Hugs, Peg
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal