Author Topic: Where do you pull gardening inspiration from?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Where do you pull gardening inspiration from?
« on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:35:33 AM »
Where do you ideas come from? Mine come from a variety of sources, then tuble around my brain until they mesh together to make my own plans.

I love garden magazines for color mix ideas, and garden "bones" ideas. I love the "path to freedom" website and journal for practical ideas in how to mix in edibles, and make them look beautiful. I love google for garden plans that are unique, and not squares or rectangles.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Where do you pull gardening inspiration from?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:46:39 AM »
Alot of mine have come from reading historical romances when I was young.  Filled my head with all kinds of stuff and it's influenced my tastes alot.  So did traveling.  Websites have been another big contributer to my idea mill. 

I think that's why I want to create multiple types of gardens and all of them with specimen garden plantings.

I haven't even really delved into companion planting or color mixes.  I'm sure I will once I actually get the gardens in.  I can see a lot of moving around as the years go by but I'm along way from that stage yet.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »
I find a lot of great ideas at Southern Spirit Hunters from all the wonderful gardeners here, who are more than ready to help or share ideas.

(ok that's my suck up for the year lol) I really mean it when I say ya'll are wonderful.
This is me ->?

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:03:44 PM »
Hey Bonnie!! I was going to say that!!! :tickedoff:

Seriously, I am very much a beginner at gardening.  I have no idea how I'm going to lay out everything, but I have a variety of seeds to get started with come sprint (thanks Kratzy7!). I am sure I will be coming here looking for much advise when I get going on it.  :Whis:
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:08:21 AM »
Duh, I find I move things around every year. Sometimes because the colors don't quite compliment one another, or the textures, and sometimes just because it's not matchig up to some vision I had in my head.

Bonnie and Barb...I too pull ideas from here. Some of my favorite plants are ones friends have told me about.  :grinnnn:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »
I find that my plants move themselves around.  When I first planted the wildflower garden I had a specific plan and everything written down.  The wind and birds have totally changed it over the years.    Mother nature knows best.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:23:23 PM »
I love all the gardening magazines that should be coming out soon. I get a lot of ideas from those, but haven't been able to follow up on them. Seems like something always happens to mess my plans up. ::) Of course a lot of my ideas for plants come from all of you that love to share your ideas with me.... :grinnnn:

I have changed that front foundation bed three times since we have moved here. First I had lorapetalums in it, then it was a bulb bed, now it has ligustrums and mums in it. I think I am going to leave it that way for a while. At least until I get my memorial gardens finished... :wink5:

I guess I will have to go google "path to freedom" now since you didn't put a link to the site for us... :Whis:

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:44:54 PM »
Here's a link to the main site:

http://www.pathtofreedom.com/about/urbanhomestead.shtml

And to the journal, with has day to day stuff...

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:50:20 PM »
 :giggle:

I visited there today. There is a lot of good information on that site, isn't there? :grinnnn:

Thanks for the link... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2008, 10:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the link Sarah.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal