Author Topic: Anyone do plastic canvas?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Anyone do plastic canvas?
« on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:23:19 AM »
I have a collection of plastic canvas patterns that I am willing to part with.Some are torn from magazines, or copied from books. There's
a leisure arts booklet called the corner companion everything you need to know about plastic canvas
Some pages from a pc calendar, instructions from p.c. kits.
Tissue covers, magnets, coasters,bookmarks, plant pokes, key chains, easter bunny, cow baby mobile, tropical fish, butterflies, christmas ornaments, santa tissue cover.... lots more.

We can swap, if you want, on all or some. If you like a certain motif that isnt listed tell me I'll see if theres some in there.
I'd hate to throw it all away. (I'm weird that way)

I also have some sheets of 7 and 10 count plastic canvas. Just have to remember where I put them.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Anyone do plastic canvas?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:29:21 PM »
OH I have a big box of that kinda stuff around here somewhere too.  Just thought I would add that in to your thread Wrennie in case someone does like to use it.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:16:54 AM »
I've wanted to get into plastic canvas but never had the money.  What would you like to trade? 

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009, 01:05:52 PM »
I have done some, but not much. I made some of the little Santa heads that hold silver bells a long time ago. That's about it.
This is me ->?

Offline yezitis

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2009, 06:54:55 PM »
I use the plastic canvas for walls and bottoms of a little tie together basket I make for regular sized napkins and also cocktail napkins.  If anyone would like the directions, I'll go measure everything and write it out. My pattern pieces are on pieces of cardboard right now.  you need two colors of fabric one for the liner and one for the outside, ribbon and plastic canvas!  They are great gifts to give at Christmas or anytime, with cookies in them, they untie and fold into a little 8" block to store easily also.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »
Sounds cute, I would like the pattern.

Offline yezitis

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »
Ok, here are the pattern pieces you need to make, I just used an old cardboard box. I bought one of these years ago and just made my own pattern and figured out how to sew it all up ....

One Piece -  11 1/2 x 11 1/2      This is the piece you use to cut two pieces of fabric, either matching or one solid (inside) and one patterned (outside).  On this piece, measure off 2" from each corner on all sides, so you should have 8 little marks. 

These are the pieces you cut from the plastic canvas, I use the 11x14 size and buy them at WalMart which is alot cheaper than buying them at Michaels.  I think I get two centers and can't remember how many walls out of each piece, or one center and more walls, all depends on what you need. 

2"W x 6 1/2"L  (cut four - one for each side)
6 1/2 x 6 1/2  (cut one for center)

You cut 8 ties out of ribbon .. jute ... or whatever you want to use, each tie should be 8".  I made a pattern piece 1/2Wx8"L ... it was easier for me to use this, than always trying to find my ruler  :tapfoot1:

With right sides together, on either the inside our outside fabric, take your pattern piece and put tiny marks to place your 8 ribbons that you cut.   I pull back the fabric on top, as I am placing the ribbons and then using pins, or I have used a glue gun when I am making a lot of these(only use a tiny tab of glue),  you put the ribbons in place, bringing them to the inside of the piece.    Once you have the ribbons set, you start to sew any side, starting about an inch before the first ribbon, using a 1/4" seam.  Sew all the way around till you get to the last ribbon, sewing only an 1" or less past this ribbon, leaving the rest open.   Be CAREFUL not to catch your ribbons into your stitching, they should all be inside the piece. Be sure to secure your beginning and ending stitches.

Once stitched, turn the piece right side out. Press it  before you put the plastic canvas in.   Take one piece of plastic canvas(wall piece) and put it through the opening and place it all the way to the back inbetween the ribbons and stick this all the way across, this secures that piece.. do the same for each side. Once the sides are in, put in your center piece(fold in 1/2 to get it in), and stitch it in place, being sure you leave enough room for the last piece, which you put in and then turn under the opening and stitch shut, I run the stitch back and forth to secure.  You might have to trim the plastic canvas to fit at times.

Here are a couple pictures of some I've made. I used jute for the ties on one of them .. They are great for cookies at Christmas and what I did one year for a show I did, was put recipes inside the center of them and people wanted one of each with all my cookie recipes..LOL ....    I also use them in the summer for plastic silverware and crackers and dip, so many uses ..

I hope I explained this OK   :dunno:

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2009, 11:10:52 AM by yezitis »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2009, 01:35:39 AM »
Those are very cute!  Thanks for the pattern.

Offline yezitis

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »
You are welcome!  :grinnnn:

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2009, 07:36:55 PM »
Those are cute.
This is me ->?

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2009, 07:30:56 AM »
Sorry I've been AWOL.
That basket idea is really cute!
Duh if you still want to trade I'm always looking for yarn, any yarn, any color. Beads that are not plastic. I really want a stevia plant or 2. Dr. says cut down on the sugar. (is he kidding me?? lol!) not seeds, a plant. Jewelry stretch cor, or wire, crimps, clasps.
ummmm......

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2009, 07:19:34 AM »
I got rid of everything before I moved so I'm down to just basics.  I wish I had something to trade. 

The only supplies I have are for the wood burner and I'm using those.

I hope someone else can help you out.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 06:37:49 AM »
Thank you so much for the supplies and books.  I look forward to doing the Christmas crafts this fall.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal