Author Topic: January 2009 - Photography  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Peggy

January 2009 - Photography
« on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »
Friday, January 23, 2009

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I’d share the latest trip I got to make, and of course the photos I took.  This time the job sent Clyde to the Bend, Oregon area. This is considered Central Oregon. I did not know this; I thought I was in Central Oregon!  :giggle:

Again, I got to ride along and keep my husband company while he worked.  This time we did not use the company van, which is not allowed if spouses want to ride along.  We used my car this time.  I kind of hated putting the miles on my vehicle, but I really enjoy going out and about with Clyde and getting to see new people, places, and things like that.

Anyways, Bend is in the High Desert. We are talking elevations ranging from above 3,000 feet up to around 4,500 feet. So, I don’t know what in the world I was expecting, but gee, there was a lot of ICE!   :Wow:

I live in an area where it is really much colder than where I came from in California, but truly when you get down to it, still pretty moderate temperatures. We’ve had a few freezes, and some snow.  But, really it’s been a fairly mild winter.  I had no idea that if you just drive 20 miles east of Roseburg and into a little town called Glide what a difference in temperature it is.  By the time we reached that area on our way to Bend, we were seeing ice on the ground, and on other things.  It was frozen fog.  And frozen fog seemed to be the theme of this weekend we took in Bend. 

We stopped in Glide at the Colliding Rivers Ranger Station to use their boys and girls rooms.   And Clyde noted that I had seen that awesome spider web.  I had stopped to look at the ice on the leaves of the manzanita there, and had not seen the spider web. So, I had to go back and look.  And then after I saw it I had to take a picture!  Then as I tried to get the picture, I told him to move that dang car!  Who wants a car in a spider web photo?  LOL…

So here are the pics I took at the Ranger Station:

Another, two thousand feet up in elevation and we hit snow. So, that by the time we were around Crater Lake, we had snow almost up to the roof of my vehicle.

We lost our fog somewhere around the top of mountain at Crater Lake.  And we kept it until we reached just outside of Bend.  Once we were there, we realized that there was frozen fog on everything!   But, it is a four hour trip over there from here and by the time we got there it was almost dark, so we got dinner and our room and we settled in for the evening…

Just in time for him to get a call in Redmond (19 miles away) and then another in Bend….

Such is the life of an ATM repairman! LOL

We wondered if the would still be around the next morning and it was.  He had a call by 6:30 in the morning, so we were up and at-em pretty early.  Unfortunately it was a cloudy day.  I really don’t like taking pics on cloudy days…   but, I took some, and I think they turned out really good.  The ice on Sunday was even thicker than it had been the day before.  Here are those pics:

These were all taken from within a parking lot of a bank in Redmond, Oregon.  Here is some of the proof.  My beloved calling the network to see how the ATM was responding to what he was doing:

I wondered if Monday we would get up and go home, or if he would work his eight hours and then we’d go home or what.  It turned out that he had two calls in Bend, and one in Redmond and then nothing.  The day before we’d gone from Redmond to Klamath Falls, we were kept busy all day.  When you have nothing to do, and no home to go home to, you kind of sit and be bored.  Until you think of something to do. 

Clyde took me to Peterson’s Rock Museum.  You should be able to Google that if you want to know more. But, basically this guy named Rufus Peterson had some kind of obsession or something with rocks, and he made this little rockery wonderland outside of Redmond, Oregon.  He’s long gone now, and from what I understand his descendants still own the place. But, the place is in disrepair.  Clyde got upset at all the hard work being let go. You know, I think the cold (like 23 degrees!) and the ice made for some awesome photographs.  I could imagine these little gnomes or elves living their lives in these tiny little buildings on the property.  Most of the buildings you will see in the pictures are less than a foot tall.  I think I got some good pics.. here you go:

After we were done here, we actually sat in different parking lots until three o’clock, when a call for Coos Bay came in.  That is another two hours past our home – in the direction of home.  Since we had to drive home after a regular day anyways, he called dispatch and told them we were done sitting and waiting, there had been no more calls since the morning.  He said he’d take the call to Coos Bay!  Egads! I want you to know we did not get home until midnight!  He’s a more dedicated fellow than I am!

On the way home it was a pink sunset, and the way it reflected off of Diamond Peak and Mt. Thielson was just … well, Wow!  But we could not get a really good clear shot of either mountain.  Eventually, I just picked a spot where it looked like I’d get some view of Mount Thielson and asked Clyde to stop for me.  I took three shots, by the time I had the third shot taken the beautiful pink sunset was gone.  Even in the two that I did get the pink is so close to gone that you can barely see it.  But, I still think it’s a pretty shot.  So, I will share it.  I hope you enjoy it. 

Have a great day! Peg  :flower:

How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: January 2009 - Photography
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:01:14 PM »
Those are some great pictures.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »
Wonderful pictures. I always enjoy viewing your photography!
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline wimc

• wimcsh
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:53:29 PM »
Its always nice to read your topics and see them photos, thank you for that.

The ice down there was truly amazing.

Offline Peggy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2009, 01:10:02 AM »
Thank you, Thank you! I really enjoy sharing! :) Hugs, Peg
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal