Author Topic: searing temperatures and fires in south east Australia  (Read 8887 times)

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
Re: searing temperatures and fires in south east Australia
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »
I totally agree.

The reports now state that the destroyed town of Marysville may have lost 1 in 5 people (possible 100 dead there alone)
You can't miss me, I am the tall, cuddly giant with a maniacial physicist look on his face

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
Out of the ashes, hope is rising
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2009, 06:19:32 AM »
and it is something that is ingrained in the Aussie psyche...

it has been jus half a week since the disaster began, and Aussies, strapped in a recession, have donated over 35 million dollars - and that number is just from everyday Aussies - the companies and government have come to the party as well..

1000's have dropped everything and volunteered their time to help.

There have been so many donations, everything from food and blankets to even cars and trucks.

The Australian cricketers have given their time to give hope to those displaced people.

There are people sheltering their neighbours, and people calling in offering free accommodation.

At the sausage sizzle in one of the evacuation centres, a person went up to buy 2 sausages in bread and handed over $1000, smiled and walked away.

Yes, there are looters, yes there are arsonists and other low lifes, but...

the amount of kindness being shown by everyday people shines bright in this dark time for my fellow Victorians. 

The Aussie spirit is world renowned, it is a spirit forged out of trouble and strife and once again, the spirit is still alive and showing the way for these people.

This is how I know that these towns will rebuild, that the people will find a way.
You can't miss me, I am the tall, cuddly giant with a maniacial physicist look on his face

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Out of the ashes, hope is rising
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »
These are the stories that I wait for after disasters. Thank you
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Out of the ashes, hope is rising
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:38:01 PM »
Those are the stories that make us all remember that while there are a few bad apples in our world, there are far more good ones willing to make a positive difference in each others lives.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
I am so proud to be an Aussie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »
despite the horrors of the fires that still rage, the lives lost of which the toll will rise... of the evil that are the arsonists...

I am so proud of the people in my country at the moment...

in less than a week, the Australian people have raised over $100,000,000 - this is just from everyday Aussies....

The spirit lives on, stronger than ever.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »
That is fantastic!

Have they caught the arsonists yet? I saw somewhere that two people were being questioned...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2009, 04:22:38 AM »
they have some suspects in custody.

There are still about a dozen fires burning, but no serious threats.

The toll still stands at 181, but is expected to rise sharply, as in Marysville alone, it is believed that 100 are dead

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2009, 04:15:57 AM »
189 dead now... the toll is expected to rise further

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:30:33 AM »
So very, very sad. :(

It makes my blood boil to know that some of the fires were deliberately set. How can a person live with themself after knowing that they deliberately caused loss of life and so much pain and hurt?... :tickedoff:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »
I am not sure about them, but the judicial system will sort them out.

The devastated town of Marysville is still considered a crime scene, as such, no one is allowed to go into it - the search teams are now going to be searching in the ruins of the houses.

Marysville had a population of about 500, 43 are confirmed dead from there - that number is expected to rise to about 100.

At Kinglake, where 128 people died, they have started to rebuild.

Next Sunday is going to be a national day of mourning for our worst ever disaster.

On a personal note, as a Victorian - as someone who was born and raised in that state of Australia that has been shattered.  As someone who spent many holidays in Marysville and many other places that suffered from this tragedy...

I feel heartbroken, alongside my fellow Victorians there and afar.

We are no stranger to bushfires, not at all - they happen every year in Victoria - but this one was unprecedented, never anywhere in Australia has a disaster been this wide ranging, so devastating.

Offline wimc

• wimcsh
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2009, 04:55:19 PM »
..., but the judicial system will sort them out.

Just hope its a harsh punishment, no idea what the laws are there.

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2009, 05:20:25 PM »
well, to be honest, I have little faith in the so called justice system anywhere.  The do-gooders would probably get lenience for them for some nonsense retarded esoteric reasons.

But these people do not feel remorse, and any they show is likely to be fake.  But their lives are ruined as they have been named publicly and will never have a normal life again - by their own actions.

I have and never will have any sympathy for whatever happens to them, as they brought it entirely on themselves.

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
Heroes of the fires
« Reply #37 on: Feb 17, 2009, 05:48:15 AM »
There are many many reports of heroes of the fires.. including:

The 17 year old student and volunteer firefighter, named Kelly - on her first ever fire response, she is credited with saving 200 people from the Kinglake - where 139 are now confirmed dead...

The 2 police officers that evacuated 200 people from Marysville, where 46 have been confirmed dead and that number is expected to reach and maybe excede 100...

The young lad who drove a tractor through burning paddocks to rescue trapped people...

A firefighter was killed today... a volunteer, several have been injured...

as of writing this post, the toll is now 200

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2009, 05:56:57 AM »
I will add - the firefighters from Australia and from other countries - including New Zealand and the US who are working hard and fighting the fires.

The Austraian Army building firebreaks, identifiying the dead.

The Indonesian victim identification team who joined the Australian team...

The 10,000's of volunteers who are giving their services and time...

to everyone who have said a prayer, to everyone who thought about the people

all are heroes in their own right

Offline Jayrod1972

« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »
I havent seen the news on these fires just heard / seen the news on here, it saddens me to find out that people are so cruel towards fellow humans, I am with the news reporter they should charge this maniac as a murderer of mass destruction..... all my prayers go out to the people effected by this careless act especially towards the families that have lost loved ones.
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal