Author Topic: House Plants  (Read 11402 times)

MassMama

Re: House Plants
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:31:55 AM »
 :Wow: you all have such pretty plants in your house!
Triss how do you keep the kids off your plants? mine would be wrecked by them trying to swing on a "vine"  :rolleyes1:

I have a Curly spider plant that I just LOVE .. she is finally sprouting off babies.
A bonsai,Pothos, lemon and lime tree, an ivy and an assortment of cactus. Between kids and cats that is all I have now

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2007, 04:27:55 PM »
Rita, most of the plants are in the bathroom/bedroom and the ones that are here in the livingroom are up high so the kids cannot get to them.  I would worry more about Piper than the kids actually so they are out of her reach more than theirs.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

MassMama

« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:50:27 AM »
I wish I had more areas to put house plants.. I really don't have any shelves or anything in my house .. Going to have to check into something..

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:27:15 AM »
I have an extra wide window sill so I have a bunch of plants on them.  Then I put up a window shelf using 1x8 lumber so that I have twice as much room in the window for plants.  Then over the window I hung plant hooks and put my vines in those.  Then on top of the half-height entertainment center I have the orchids and epi with a CFS bulb in a candlestick lamp.  And there are more plants in the bathroom and the kitchen.  All east facing windows.  I sure am going to miss this apartment.  It's great for growing plants.

Offline SwampPeople

« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2011, 12:22:14 PM »
Pineapple Question. Brought home 5 pineapple tops from a May 2011 wedding and put each one into a pot with regular feeding potting soil. They are doing great. Should I bring them inside for the winter??

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #30 on: Oct 11, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »
Yes, they are definitely tropical plants and probably won't survive outdoors. Even here in my desert.  it gets too cold for them.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline SwampPeople

« Reply #31 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »
Thanks a bunch. Guess I need to find a spot for them.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #32 on: Nov 25, 2011, 10:58:32 AM »
I just revamped my houseplants they were looking sad.  So sad, in fact, that I was thinking about getting rid of them all.  Now I'm back to liking them.  It really didn't take all that much work.  As usual it just took a motivating factor. 

Roses had a 2 for $5 sale on their houseplants.  I picked up a ponytail fern and a croton.  I put the croton in the pot with the prayer plant that isn't doing well so the bare stem isn't so noticeable.  Then I put the ponytail fern in the pot with the other plant that wasn't doing good so it's not noticeable at all.  Then I went after the oysterplant.  Talk about a scraggly mess.  I stripped off all the dead leaves, I broke the stems off at a decent height and then repotted the lower portion of the vines back into the pot to make the top fuller.  Then I added new potting soil.  Now it looks like a plant rather than a dead heap of leaves.  Then I took the cinnamon basil and pruned it back severly so it wasn't trying to get into everywhere else.  I added the lucky bamboo to the bay window display of plants so it will get the light it wants.  And then I put the naked ladies next to the window so they are getting more light which i'm sure they will appreciate.  They didn't bloom again this year.  I'm thinking they should stay in the house this comming year.  I may have to lift them to early in this zone for them to flower.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #33 on: Mar 23, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »
The fern and croton are not doing well.  Both are dying.  So is the oyster plant.  I took the oyster plant outside repotted the few remaining vines.  We'll see how it does from that.  The amaryllis on the other hand are in full bloom and are lovely.  Thank you Jenn.  I had planned for them to bloom outside in summer but it seemed like they had other plans.  But I really don't mind at all.  I did try to snap pictures but they didn't take.  And the stems are so long I don't want to risk moving them again to try for another picture.  Maybe at night with the house lights on I can get something although all the blooms are facing the window of course. 

The orchid is also blooming for the first time.  It doesn't look at all like the picture that came with it but that's ok.  I'm just amazed it bloomed.  I had given up on them.  Now my interest is revived.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal