Author Topic: Toxic Fires  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Toxic Fires
« on: Apr 11, 2009, 01:34:16 PM »
I have read that you aren't supposed to burn poison ivy because it could cause some lung problems if you breathe the smoke. What about datura? Can you burn the leftovers after the plant has died back without any problems? :dunno:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Toxic Fires
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2009, 02:08:18 PM »
I have no idea on that one Dianna, I did not know you were not supposed to burn poison ivy.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2009, 06:42:14 PM »
Datura isn't a contact poison/allergen like poison ivy or poison oak are. I don't think there would be a big problem unless you were particularly sensitive to it at anytime.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2009, 06:48:19 PM »
You are not suppose to burn poison ivy (or poison oak) because the agent that makes them poison is contained in oil, and fire makes the oil into vapors, which you then breathe, and end up in a world of hurt.

Poison plants like datura and not oil, so the oil thing won't happen....however, I do recall hearing that people try to smoke some plants in that family to get high, and end up killing themselves.

If you only have a small amount in an open space, it should be fine.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2009, 09:11:43 PM »
I thought it was ingesting datura that caused psychedelic stuff to happen? Making a tea or popping the seeds or something. I don't know. The stuff is a naturally occurring weed here and I kill it when it is where I don't want it where it is growing.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2009, 09:13:49 PM »
Thanks for the input, Ladies...

I have two dead "trees" of Datura. Reckon that could get everyone in the neighborhood high? :giggle:

I plan on burning it in our fire pit...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2009, 01:05:50 AM »
Throw them on and walk away for a bit. It should be fine. We have poison oak and datura and tree tobacco, all poisonous, that grow and often burn in our area. If distance is kept there is not too much effect from the fumes and smoke.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal