Author Topic: Best place for dahlias  (Read 2374 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Best place for dahlias
« on: Apr 12, 2009, 11:01:14 AM »
Duh and I both have some dahlias to plant. Where do yours preform best for you? Do you have any hints on making them happy?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Best place for dahlias
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »
Sun and rich soil. They are heavy feeders for maximum bloom. Regular water. Mine can stay in the ground year long. I have really only lost them over time to irregular watering.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2009, 07:09:36 PM »
Hey barleychown thanks for posting this.  I decided to do mine along the fence that runs down the start of my driveway on the side of the drive away from the house.  It's an area with a mature cypress in the middle of the area and some other trees that I plan to cut down.  That way the cypress will be the center of the bed.  With the dahlias along the driveway fence and the red daylilies, chinese lanterns and evening primroses along the street side fence it should have some color this year, at least that is my hope.   As the season progresses I hope to get the brush cleared out of that area so it will love very finished and nice.

Tina thanks for your hints.  I'll definitely get out there with some of my aged cow manure and add that to the soil.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »
Dahlias are really lovely flowers. Mine are in part shade and part sun. I only had a few and, most of them didn't come back last year. I guess I should have dug up the tubers.
This is me ->?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2009, 07:41:29 AM »
Lowe's had some dahlias that were really short.  I got one with a yellow center and red outer band of color.  I put it in the sidewalk bed right next to the door.  It is fun to have that much color near the door.  It makes me smile.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal