Author Topic: Carnivorous Plants, anyone?  (Read 11573 times)

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
Re: Carnivorous Plants, anyone?
« Reply #25 on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
There are a lot of online places to buy pitchers or any Carnivorous plant but the one Peter D'Amato has is by far the best (http://www.californiacarnivores.com) I have orderd from CP'S of Texas they are S. Alat typical and S. Altla with windows they are doing very good.

Offline jv

« Reply #26 on: Jul 18, 2007, 09:34:47 PM »
Got this Sarracenia ssp. Judith Hindle today.

my Venus Flytrap 3 blooms

Venus Flytrap 5 Blooms

Offline Patty S

« Reply #27 on: Jul 31, 2007, 04:43:39 PM »
Jimmy, I bought a Carnivorous plant when BG & I were out & about this past weekend. It's a Pitcher plant, like your stand-up one. (I do like the other kind better, but they didn't have any.)

The tag says its "Alata Pubescent"  ...crossed with something else that I can't make out, cuz the nursery tag was written in pencil. :rolleyes1:

I have it out on the patio in full sun... right? 
And, I'm watering it with bottled water... right?
Am I supposed to put water inside the pitchers at all? :unsure:

The info tag says that it'll go dormant during the winter & likes to be outside where the winters are not severe. :clap: I'd like to keep this one alive, now that I know someone who knows how & is willing to let me pick his brain! :wink5:

Offline jv

« Reply #28 on: Aug 03, 2007, 11:19:10 PM »
Patty DO NOT PUT WATER IN THE PITCHERS :Groaner:

It makes it own fluid to digest the bugs in these pitchers. It looks like my Judith Hindle

Where did you get it? Most Nurseries can tell you what it is but if you got it from HD or Lowes they have no idea what they have.. It is a Sarracenia Alta but what sub species I don't know here is a link that may help you  http://www.botany.org/Carnivorous_Plants/index.php#Brocchinia
good luck

Offline Patty S

« Reply #29 on: Aug 04, 2007, 04:48:49 AM »
Thanx for the info & that link, Jimmy.  (Good site!) :ThumbUp:

I'd forgotten to water mine yesterday, & this morning I was afraid I'd killed it, cuz it seemed to look dry & almost brittle! I think the pot it's in drains too fast, so I watered it from the bottom & left it sit in the (bottled) water for most of the day, & it seemed to perk up. Our humidity is realy low during the summer, so I really need to remember to watch & water.

It was good to chat with you when Patti & I called last night! You said that you don't leave yours to sit in the sun for the whole day, so I'll be putting mine in a place where it won't get so much baking. It's those little things that might make a difference in whether or not I can keep this thing alive! :smile:

Offline patches

« Reply #30 on: Aug 04, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
:Wow: What awesome and interesting plants you have there, Jimmy!  ;)  It looks like you have a knack with them. ;)  I enjoyed seeing all the pictures too!  :smile: Geesh, I didn't ever check this thread because I've never had a Carnivorous plant and I know absolutely nothing about them.  :dunno: 
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline jv

« Reply #31 on: Aug 04, 2007, 03:09:40 PM »
Patty S I found your plant  AL 09 Sarracenia alata - 'Pubescent Form' Deer Park Alabama :: Hope no one gets upset also here is the website where I found it goggleing  :laughmao:

http://www.pj-plants.co.uk/National_Colletion.htm
it is a good website  for Carnivorous plants.

BTW I got me 2 more VFT's today Wal-Mart had them and they are in great shape. Don't have any photo yet as I just got the soil made up soaked and them transplanted into it. Soil is 1-part peat moss to 1-part silica sand (not river or washed sand). You can find it in most Nurseries. Hope this helps you.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #32 on: Aug 04, 2007, 04:02:20 PM »
Thanx, Jimmy. :kissies: There sure are a lot of different species, eh? (Can't pronounce half any of them though! Latin names are bad enough to try to learn... I think these are Greek!) :nutz:

Hey!  Nobody around here is gunna get upset with anybody for posting links to websites that help us get more information about our plants & things! That's one of the reasons we have a forum, so link away!! :ThumbUp:

(You got VFTs from Wally World that were in good shape? :yikes: Maybe your store got smart & hired someone who knows something about plants!) :Wacko:

Can't wait to see your pics...I'm really starting to like this odd part of the plant world!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #33 on: Aug 04, 2007, 09:46:09 PM »
Jimmy, thank you for that link. It will help all new carnivorous plant people out.... :-*

I saw a poor, old VFT today at Lowe's marked down for clearance. I didn't buy it, because I think it was past reviving. I can't believe that anyone would expect to pay half-price for an almost dead, if not buried, plant... :(
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline jv

« Reply #34 on: Aug 04, 2007, 10:43:07 PM »
Here are the 2 VFT'S I got @ Wal-Mart today for $4.95ea. They are in great shape and one is starting to set blooms. :clap:

Large traps on this one.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #35 on: Aug 11, 2007, 08:54:05 PM »
Jimmy, there was an awesome Pitcher Plant entered into competition at our County Fair this week...

Since none of my local friends have carnivorous plants, I've never had the chance to look at one of these up close & in person.  I thought it was so intriguing, how the stem of the blossom seems to be an extension of the main vein on the leaf! It meanders around a bit, then the pitcher turns up & leans against the stem!

I've tried Googling what I think the tags says, but I don't get any results. Maybe you can figure it out. :ScratchHead:

These plants are soooo unique! :clap:
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2007, 11:58:32 PM by Patty S »

Offline jv

« Reply #36 on: Aug 12, 2007, 10:00:17 AM »
Patty that is Beautiful wish I had one but on other side I "WILL" get one. Below is a description of that plant for you.

N. sanguinea - Genting Highlands Form - makes cylindrical pitchers reaching 6+ inches tall. Many color forms exist. This clone produces pitchers that are green to red with purplish interior spots and stripes on the peristome. Young plants are greener; older plants make the best red color in cool bright weather, such as late winter–early spring (photo). These can live happily in a terrarium for years but will outgrow a small terrarium unless pruned or trained horizontally. This species will tolerate cool (55°F) nights. Larger plants look good trained up a stick so the long pitchers can dangle elegantly.

Here is a link for a lot of these type plants.

http://www.pitcherplant.com/nepenth.html
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010.html these are from - courtesy of -
The International Carnivorous Plant Society

Offline Patty S

« Reply #37 on: Aug 12, 2007, 10:28:12 AM »
Thanx for the info & the links, Jimmy! (no wonder I didn't get anything when I Googled... it looked to me like it was spelled "sanguirea".)

Why didn't you post the same thing you PM'd me?
I priced one like it the other day $70.00 plus tax and shipping just for the ryzome of 1.

GOOD GRAVY, GERTIE! :yikes:
:idea: If they come from rhizomes, that means the plant will make baby plants... maybe I can look up the lady who owns this plant & make friends with her! :Whis:
If she gets to be my BEST friend, I'll send you one! :wink5:
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2007, 10:29:53 AM by Patty S »

Offline jv

« Reply #38 on: Aug 12, 2007, 10:36:01 AM »
Patty that would be a good idea just understand some people don't want to try cutting's or rhizomes fearing on damaging or killing their plant. The cutting are very easy while you have to have an good soil for them (garden dirt don't work) also I use reverse osmoses water on mine as salt and chemicals will kill the plants. :idea: If she gives you a cutting please remember me. :wink5:
 I didn't post price I was given because I saw no point in it.  :smack:

Offline Patty S

« Reply #39 on: Aug 12, 2007, 11:26:09 AM »
I didn't post price I was given because I saw no point in it.  :smack:

OUCH!    Brat!

I saw a huge point in knowing the price...  makes me want one even worse!

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2007, 11:28:17 AM by Patty S »

Offline jv

« Reply #40 on: Sep 10, 2007, 10:10:59 PM »
Got this Nepenthes alata hb unknown what the other was @ Kroger Friday . This first is the full plant on a hook.

The Pitcher is larger then on my other's I have.

Offline jv

« Reply #41 on: Sep 10, 2007, 10:14:34 PM »
The open mouth of the plant above.

This is a view into the Pitcher notice the bugs ( those black flecks ) floating in the juice while  being digested.

Offline patches

« Reply #42 on: Sep 11, 2007, 04:11:58 AM »
Oh, Jimmy, that is totally awesome!   :Wow:  I've never seen anything quite like that, but I don't have any Carnivorous plants and I have never been around them. :smileyNo:
You sure seem to have a certain touch with your plants.   ;)
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #43 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:44:03 AM »
What a cool plant Jimmy....those look like somthing alien, but what a neat plant!!

Offline Patty S

« Reply #44 on: Sep 11, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
The colors on those pitchers are soooo awesome, Jimmy! I'll bet they want a fortune for those mature plants, huh?
What did you hafta pay for that? :Whis:

Remember the Sarracenia alata that I bought 6 weeks ago? (Pic is in my 7/31 post.) There were some browned pitchers on it when I got it, but there were nice green ones too, & new ones were coming up at that time. Well, I was leaving it in the hot sun all day long & it dried out pretty bad once... (I don't suppose it was very happy with me for that), but after I talked to you on the phone about it, I put it where it only got sun for part of the day & I also started paying better attention to the watering. (Thought I'd killed it!) :Crybaby2: As it turned out, I didn't kill it, & there are several nice new ones coming up now. 

My question is about the brown, half dead ones that are sitting there: I don't know if I caused that when I let it dry out too much, or if that's just what happens when they get older. :SmileyQmarks: Do I need to I pull those out of there, so the plant can use its energy for the babies, or should I leave them alone? (They actually look like they'd look pretty cool in a dried arrangement!) :wink5:

Reading back, I see that I never answered your question about where I got that pitcher plant. :SlapSelf: I got it in Eugene, at an awesome plant store that Sarah & I like a lot... they were having a going-out-of-business sale, cuz the owner wanted to do something other than own a plant store, & I got it for $10.00. (I'm just sick about them closing up shop, cuz anything I'd ever gotten there was so healthy, & they give you a sheet with complete care instructions for any plant you buy.)  >:( 

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2007, 11:00:09 PM by Patty S »

Offline jv

« Reply #45 on: Sep 12, 2007, 11:03:49 PM »
Patty I leave my brown pitchers until the whole branch is brown then cut it off even with the top of the soil. They die and put out new ones all the time. Make sure to use only rain water or I buy reverse osmosis at 99 cent store for 69 cents. We have several places here (looks like the Dutch windmill) where you can buy reverse osmosis water for 25 cents a gallon if you have your own container. Patty I paid a lot for the latest Nepenthes all of $9.99 @ Krogers over on Arkansas and 303 they have 1 left better hurry and get it. :rofl1:

Offline Patty S

« Reply #46 on: Sep 13, 2007, 12:33:32 AM »
Thanx, Jimmy. I was really glad to see the new ones break through, cuz I thought I was watering a dead plant! I do use rain water. I put gallon jars out when it's gunna rain, so I can collect the water for my house plants, & I still have plenty from all the rain we got in the spring.

I paid a lot for the latest Nepenthes all of $9.99 @ Krogers over on Arkansas and 303 they have 1 left better hurry and get it.

You got a WHOLE lot better deal than I did! How come I can't find stuff like that here?  :SmileyFit: Arkansas & 303 is a long ways from here, & with the price of gas, I don't think I'd come out ahead at all! :eek:

Offline jv

« Reply #47 on: Sep 13, 2007, 10:11:29 PM »
I don't know why but around here Kroger as well as other stores get in plants like this from about July to October and sell them real cheap. In the spring Calloways nursery had a Nepenthes Gentle pitcher plant for $36.00 if I remember right. Just wish Kroger would get one of those for $9.99 I would buy them all up thier pitchers are a lot different frotn the Alata like I have.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #48 on: Sep 23, 2007, 11:16:55 PM »
Hey Jimmy, it's been a while since we've heard anything about your bug eaters... how are they doing?

My Sarracenia Alata has really put the babies out, these past couple weeks! :Yahoo: I figure that it must be pretty happy, in order to be doing that, but I have yet to see it eating any bugs or bees! :ScratchHead:

Something hitched a ride in its pot, & it's looking like it might be a melon or squash or a cucumber. :dunno: I think the weather will turn before it can get to the point where it can be identified... I just might dig it out of there & bring it inside, just to have something growing when everything else is starting to call it quits. :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2007, 06:51:14 PM by Patty S »

Offline jv

« Reply #49 on: Sep 24, 2007, 08:05:56 PM »
Looks good Patty.  :ThumbUp:  Don't let it freeze it can take low temps and if in the ground can take a few days below freezing  find it a dim place where it gets partial sun this winter so it can hibernate for a few weeks also it will get it's own food when it is warm outside the nectar attracts bugs. As for mine I am going to fire them as I got attacked by a hug swarm of paper wasp yesterday that had made a big nest in my lawn mower shed it is now gone but I spent Sunday in ER getting shot for the stings about 50 on my head and back I am very allergic to wasp stings so lucky to be here I guess. But other then that mine are loaded with Pitchers and putting out new shoots all the time. About once a month I feed mine a little fish emulsion a long with a drop of Super thrive to that gallon in the winter I also spray Super thrive on them as they are not getting as many bugs then.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal