Author Topic: Carnivorous Plants, anyone?  (Read 11558 times)

Offline Patty S

Re: Carnivorous Plants, anyone?
« Reply #50 on: Sep 30, 2007, 02:00:16 AM »
GOOD GRAVY, JIMMY! I saw your post earlier this week, then I got sick & wasn't very focused for a few days, & forgot to get back here & reply. Sorry! :kissies:

How are you doing now? That must have been one frightening experience for you! :scaredy: Were you trying to take care of the bee nest in the middle of the day, or did they just see you in "their" shed & went after you? (I would give you credit, that you KNOW not to mess with those things in the daylight!) 

After what that ONE yellowjacket did to my little finger earlier this year, I just can't imagine what it would be like to have stings on my head... it throbbed & drove me batty for days, before the swelling went down, & the Benadryl made me feel groggy & stupid! :eek: About 2 weeks later, my whole finger started to peel, & THAT drove me batty too! :Wacko: I'd forgotten that that's where I'd been stung, until my DIL reminded me... I was getting ready to make an appointment with a dermatologist, cuz I thought I had some sorta skin condition! (So don't be surprised if you start shedding skin all over your head & back, come next week! It only lasts for a couple days, but you might get some strange looks from people... they might think you're part snake!) :yikes:

I can't locate my plant profile sheet that I got when I bought my Pitcher Plant, but if I recall, it said about the same thing you mentioned about winter care... (it can tolerate cold temps, but not hard freezes.) I'm sort of afraid to bring it in the house if it gets real cold like it did here last year, cuz I wouldn't want to get it used to the warm, then shove it back out into cooler temps.  If it does get down around freezing, I think the garage might be the best place for it, for a few weeks, huh? The garage gets cold, but it doesn't freeze out there.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2007, 02:07:29 AM by Patty S »

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
« Reply #51 on: Sep 30, 2007, 01:54:04 PM »
Patty I thought they had all left since they abandoned their nest's on my porch. Went to get my mower they had moved to that shed. They probably took exception since I had 2 other sheds I could have gone into. They are all dead now at the ER they bathed my head and back in straight bleach to kill the venom and also pumped me full of wasp anti venom and benadryl. As I am deathly allergic to paper wasp as well as ground wasp (Texas yellow jackets.) Keep you Sarracenia in your garage or any dark place where it wont get below freezing very ofter for to long. It has to hibernate some keep check on the moisture put don't water very much just kinda damp so it doesnt dry out too wet and the roots will rot. Also that is a good time to start a cutting while it is cool. I plan to get a lot of cuttings off my Nepenthes Alata this fall as well as my fly traps. Good luck. Took me 4 times to get this to post computer keeps locking up.

Offline jv

« Reply #52 on: Nov 11, 2007, 02:19:36 PM »
This is what my Nepenthes Alata's look like right now.

Cuttings I started yesterday. One is an Nepenthes Gentile a friend gave my a cutting of. The others are cuttings from 2 of my Alata's.

Greenhouse I am making out of a discarded Rubbermaid shed. The plants are Hibiscus and Devils backbone among others.

Offline patches

« Reply #53 on: Nov 12, 2007, 04:07:15 PM »
Hey Jimmy, your plants look really great!!!  :ThumbUp:  Geesh, it looks like you sure have a green thumb!  What kind of greenhouse are you making?   :unsure: How big is it going to be?  :SmileyQmarks:
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2007, 04:09:20 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #54 on: Nov 12, 2007, 04:09:26 PM »
 :Wow: Your pitcher plants are full of pitchers! You definitely have the right touch with plants, Jimmy... :)
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2007, 07:40:43 PM by Jim »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline jv

« Reply #55 on: Nov 12, 2007, 06:41:37 PM »
Patti the greenhouse is a 8 X 10 Rubbermaid shed that was blown away and a friend gave it to me.  Dianna I do what it says in Savage Garden as well as some Carnivorous forum's I steal info from WOC (World Of Carnivores) is the main one I am a member of it although it is never very busy. Not too sure about a green thumb or any thing I know or do. I think God is making them grow in spite of all I do. :laughpound:

Offline patches

« Reply #56 on: Nov 12, 2007, 07:32:42 PM »
Hey, Jimmy, that's a really nice size to work with,  :Wow: so you should have room for lots of plants.  ;) Does it have any windows or are you going to put lights in it?  ???
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline jv

« Reply #57 on: Nov 12, 2007, 08:24:01 PM »
The roof will be that green house cover also will have lights for heat as well as cloudy days. Have 2 shelves in it with room for more. I also have an electric heater I can put out there on the day or 2 it gets cold here.

Offline patches

« Reply #58 on: Nov 12, 2007, 08:36:06 PM »
Geesh, Jimmy, that really seems to be quite a find you got there with the Rubbermaid shed ,  :ThumbUp: and it sounds like you're all set to go!  ;) Just make sure you have adequate ventilation for the plants, but I guess you already knew that!   :SlapSelf:
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2007, 08:38:19 PM by patches »

Offline jv

« Reply #59 on: Nov 12, 2007, 09:02:47 PM »
Vents on each end  of the shed not quit 10 words huh  :Groaner:  :ThumbUp: :banana02:

Offline patches

« Reply #60 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:24:14 PM »
Geesh, Jimmy, I remember posting with you many times when you worked that night job and you were never at a loss for words then!!!   :rofl1:  :laugh1:  What happened, "cat got your tongue" or your typing finger?  :laughpound:

That's great, those vents should do the job for you!!!  I use a small fan in my basement and it works great!   ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2007, 11:26:42 PM by patches »

Offline jv

« Reply #61 on: Nov 13, 2007, 06:49:14 PM »
Naw Patti not at a loss for words just figured I had said what needed to be said at the time. Dianna I cut off a bunch to get starts from and they already have more pitchers on them they are not only covered up but inside the plants are just as full of new pitchers.

Offline patches

« Reply #62 on: Nov 13, 2007, 09:45:05 PM »
Hey Jimmy, it just surprised me when you did it, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to tease you about it!   :rofl1:  Boy, I can't wait to see all the things you'll be growing  in your greenhouse.  :Whis:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #63 on: Nov 14, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
Wow Jimmy, those plants of yours are looking great~~!
I think those are such a cool plant!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal