Author Topic: Strawberries  (Read 1855 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Strawberries
« on: May 09, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »
Okay, after years and years on insisting that he doesn't want them, the man has decided that he wants strawberry plants now.  Can I plant any this year that will produce?  Can you recommend a variety for yield (we have tons of birds)?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 11:40:07 PM »
What are your goals for strawberry plants? Are you looking for fresh eating only, or for some to make jams and such too? June bearers produce a huge flush in June, great if you are going to do something that requires large amounts of strawberries at the same time, and a few berries here and there thereafter. Everbearing produce a small amount every few days.

There are many different growing styles to choose from. I prefer a net covered raised bed, but I have chickens who have nothing better to do with their day than wait for a red strawberry.  :laughmao: As for wild birds, I've never noticed a problem from them, but do have to deal with slugs.

There are ways you could get berries this year, but you will pay a hefty price, as you would be buying indiviual plants that have been potted up. If you have the time and patience, you could prepare the bed now, and either buy some runner babies off someone in the fall, or buy bareroot plants in the spring, which usually come 25 to a bunch for around $8.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »
I'd like to make jams and have some to eat throughout for Adam.  We plan on moving this year, so I don't see the point in preparing a new bed.  I was reading somewhere about doing strawberries in a tiered formation and that sounds like a great idea.  I'll probably get that started this year, so we can move it with us when we go to wherever! 

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »
If you scroll down part way on the first page, there is a strawberry tower how-to in this thread:

http://www.southernspirithunters.com/smf/index.php/topic,202.0.html
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal