Author Topic: Lava Rock For Pond Plant Soil  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Lava Rock For Pond Plant Soil
« on: May 11, 2009, 04:24:20 PM »
I have a couple of canna growing in my little side bed and I would like to move them out to the pond garden. I am thinking about putting one of them in the pond because I don't have any pond plants in it as yet. I am wondering if I can use lava rock as the soil to keep "dirt" soil from muddying up my water? :SmileyQmarks: I really do like being able to see the bottom of the puddles... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Lava Rock For Pond Plant Soil
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »
Have no idea on that one Dianna but a canna in the water will be beautiful!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:44:57 AM »
If memory serves me right, lava rock is has very strange pH, it's either very alkaline or acidic, I don't remember which.  I think that if it is in contact with the water it will disturb the pH and may be harmful for fish and plants. 

My local pond store (it's a mom-and-pop business) sells this great stuff that is a lot like terra-cotta colored kitty litter.  It's supposed to have a neutral pH and works wonders for holding in plants.  Plus it has all the nooks and crannies that will grow the good poop-eating bacteria.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:04:50 AM »
I have also found that regular gravel, or even better pea gravel is a great growing medium for the pond plants. I personally plant cannas in soil topped with several inches of pea gravel. Very little soil escapes to the pond if you move the pot slowly, and as long as no spoiled ducks come along and dump the pot.  :Whis:

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »
I haven't seen any of the "kitty litter" growing medium around here, Sarah Loo. :Watching: I will keep my eyes open for it though for future reference...

Sarah (bc), I do have some potting soil and some little pebbles. :wink5: Guess I can do that... :grinnnn:

Thank you both for your input... :NewHug:

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2009, 03:19:40 PM »
dianna, i got a bag of that kitty litter stuff at walmart last year.  it was just labeled as pond plant soil or something similar.  and i ended up with way more than i needed.  one word of caution though.  rinse it or wet it with the hose before you put it in your puddle.  if it is dry, it will shift and be a pain.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal