Author Topic: Baby Quilt  (Read 13148 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Baby Quilt
« on: Jul 07, 2009, 05:17:49 PM »
I'm making a baby quilt for my sister based off of this quilt:

I made up a mock quilt in word to get all my dimensions correct, these aren't the actual images I'll be appliqueing onto the quilt.  I just needed a picture to get my mind wrapped around the animal placement.  So my question is, do you like the addition of the zebra square or would it be best left off?  :SmileyQmarks:  Does it squish that line on the quilt too much?

Thanks!

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
Re: Baby Quilt
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »
That is going to be a beautiful quilt. I like the zebra.
This is me ->?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2009, 10:06:45 PM »
That is going to look fantastic when you get it finished. I can't wait to see it! :ThumbUp:

I like the zebra, also... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »
That is going to be awesome.  I like either one.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2009, 12:45:05 AM »
I understand the 'squished' worry. It will really depend on the actual pictures used in the end though. I love the whole thing.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I was liking the zebra also but wasn't sure.  I've been hunting through free online coloring pages for images - hopefully I"ll have them all today and can get something more accurate laid out...

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »
I like the zebra square.  If it does end up too squishy can you leave off the flamingo, since it really doesn't go with the theme, and move things around to keep the zebra?

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2009, 12:57:57 PM »
Sheri, that is pretty much exactly what I did!  I was going over this last night and wound up removing the toucan thing and putting the zebra in with a larger slot.  The boxes were just too small to accommodate 3 animals on that row.  I have all my animals ready to go except the alligator/crocodile.  I'm still looking for a good shape...

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »
how's it coming.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »
Not as quickly as I'd like, that's for sure!  I have finally got all my animals and their babies.  I've printed them and am transferring and cutting them out of freezer paper.  I've got some of my fabrics picked out but I can't decide if I want to buy some zebra and giraffe prints or if I want to just get the correct base color (white and tan) and then embroider/applique on the stripes or spots.  I keep adding this or that, and I'm afriad that I'm making this a much more difficult project than anticipated! 

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2009, 07:41:46 AM »
That will be so pretty when its finished Sarah.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2009, 10:11:10 AM »
I hope so.  In the meantime, it's going to be very time consuming.  And I just got a call the other day that my SIL in pregnant!  I need to get a move on with this quilt, so I can make SIL one before her baby comes.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2009, 10:41:59 AM »
I have my freezer paper sitting out, so I can cut it when I'm watching TV or just doing nothing, and I over heard my children arguing over something.  "It's a mouse!" "no it's not a mouse!  It's a RAT!"  "No, it's a mouse!" "RAT" "Mouse!"  and finally I hear, "Mom, is this a mouse or a rat?" and I look over to see what they are arguing over.  It's the only item on the freezer paper that I hand-drew and it is a flower.  A flower.  :razberry: I can't even draw a flower!!   : :Blush: ::) :rofl1:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »
hahahahaha.  thanks for making me laugh out loud.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »
Oh goodness Sarah, that is actually cute and funny. 

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2009, 07:06:18 AM »
Awww, too cute Sarah.....at least it wasnt the real deal they were arguing over!!

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #16 on: Jul 25, 2009, 10:01:25 PM »
Here is what I've been up too today.  Nothing is sewn on yet and a lot of the animals will require embroidery, like the flamingo legs and beaks, panda bear eyes, etc.  The panda bears and flamingos are both done in fleece, so there is a bit of texture on the quilt. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #17 on: Jul 25, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »
when is the baby due?

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2009, 12:47:13 AM »
Right now the Dr. issued due date is December 25th but she's getting a sonogram in August to get a better date -- she doesn't know the day of her last period and can barely narrow it down to the month.  Realistically, should be sometime in December, give or take a week.    :laughmao:

I have the pandas done and they are adorable.  I'm threading up and getting ready to do the turtles or the alligators, I can't decide which.  

This is still a neutral boy/girl quilt right??  When we find out the sex I'll put on the appropriate colored border...  But for now, it's neutral, right??

*edit* I did both the turtles and the alligators plus the Momma Elephant.  The other animals will have to wait until I have the coordinating color thread to go around them. This is whipping up pretty quickly! :happy:
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2009, 01:40:28 AM by landofoz »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »
I love it! And yes, it's neutral.  :ThumbUp:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
Here is what I've gotten done thus far.  I went out and bought some matching embroidery floss and a small hoop and an even smaller hoop so that i can get started on the detail work.  I'm thinking about putting on some birds sitting on the animals backs or up in the air so that the alligators are snapping at them.  I haven't decided yet.  Opinions?   :unsure:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2009, 05:45:58 PM »
You have a wonderful mother/ baby theme going. I think that as a mother I'd prefer the gater's laughing to snapping. But birds are cool. A lot of animals have symbiotic relationship with bird's. So you often see them basking with birds checking them over for critters. If you are looking to add detail there are always flowers, grass or reeds and cattails for the appropriate animals.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #22 on: Jul 28, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »
That is looking so awesome Sarah.  Very gender neutral, it will be the border that makes it a girl or boy quilt!

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #23 on: Jul 28, 2009, 08:08:37 PM »
I like the idea of the birds on the animals backs.  Just don't do any flowers.  I've heard you're not too good at those.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #24 on: Jul 28, 2009, 09:54:57 PM »
I like the idea of the birds on the backs of other animals. Not so sure about having the gators snapping at them... lol.  This is going to look fabulous when done.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal