Author Topic: How to Get Rid of Rabbits  (Read 3492 times)

Offline yezitis

How to Get Rid of Rabbits
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep rabbits out of the gardens and from eating the young seedlings?  I have babies and adults that are destroying my young seedlings and driving me crazy.  :tapfoot1:  Are there any plants that can be put in, that they won't go around, sprays, anything???

Thanks!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: How to Get Rid of Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »
I've heard that a thick row of kale will do it but I've never done it.  Good luck with your pest problem.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »
Rabbit Stew several times a week.
This is me ->?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 09:09:15 PM »
Donna, you could try placing a large plastic owl in your garden. I think the bunnies might be afraid to visit if they could become prey themselves... :wink5:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline yezitis

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »
 :rofl1:   Bonnie, if only I could catch them .... Thanks everyone, I just read up on a spray that isn't suppose to hurt any of the plants, etc but will keep them away ... I'll have to pick some up on my next trip to Farm & Fleet and try it, if I have any seedlings left.   :waiting:

Offline yezitis

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:26:56 AM »
Well, I bought a product called Liquid Fence for deer and rabbits and tried it yesterday.  A word of warning, don't spray on a windy day, and wear gloves and clothes that you can change if you get any on you, this stuff is nasty, but hopefully it works  :rofl1:   I had to come in and wash my face, change clothes to get that horrid smell out of my smelling range..   :shock:

The smell reminds me of my dogs when it's time to clean their rear ends(sacks).  It says it dries odorless, I have to check this am if there is any smell left in the air .. I had to close all my windows too.. its horrible and now I just hope it works amd these rabbits have destroyed all my young seedlings ..

This company has a whole line of products.

www.liquidfence.com

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:44:29 AM »
Oh my! Sounds like some very nasty stuff. Sure hope it works for you after all that you went through to get it sprayed on.... :o
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »
Let me know if it works, Donna!!  I went out to my beautiful garden and found all my peas, beans, sunflowers, half my peppers, and half the radishes gone or chewed down to stems.  I put up a little short fence from fencing that we left with the house over 7 years ago.  I told Adam the best thing to do would be to put a hole in the neighbors garden fence and plant some carrots just inside his garden.  He said that wasn't a very neighborly plan.   :ScratchHead: :BigGrin:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:08:39 PM by landofoz »

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 10:36:39 PM »
hahahaha sounds like a winner to me Sarah.

Offline yezitis

« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2009, 08:34:35 AM »
Let me know if it works, Donna!!  I went out to my beautiful garden and found all my peas, beans, sunflowers, half my peppers, and half the radishes gone or chewed down to stems.  I put up a little short fence from fencing that we left with the house over 7 years ago.  I told Adam the best thing to do would be to put a hole in the neighbors garden fence and plant some carrots just inside his garden.  He said that wasn't a very neighborly plan.   :ScratchHead: :BigGrin:

landofoz, I will let you know, so far so good, I don't see any new niblings, since I sprayed under my tree and I also sprayed along my fence line and on the south side of the house where all my humming bird vine is coming up and as of last evening, they haven't gotten them.. Last summer, the humming bird vines were the first to go.  This year we have more babies around, we've counted six so far plus the mama or mamas   :tickedoff:   This year, they've  liked other flower seedlings, marigolds too, and I thought they never touched marigolds  :ScratchHead:   I will keep you up to date on any changes.. 

Does anyone know if moth balls really work? I've heard from a few people to spread them around .....

Well, we are going to pick up daughters dog to take care of, she is going into the hospital tonight to have our 4th grandchild. I am hoping for a little girl, it'll be exciting in the next few days to see what it is, as long as it's a healthy happy child, that's all that matters.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2009, 09:02:52 PM »
Congratulations on the new grand baby!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2009, 10:19:02 AM »
how's the Liquid Fence working?

Offline yezitis

« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2009, 09:18:35 AM »
I am sorry it took so long to reply, so many things going on, on top of a computer that went down.

It worked great, I haven't seen anything eaten or gone by rabbits, but I am having a problem with slugs and pill bugs now.. LOL  ... I just treated for that yesterday.  If I have to use the Liquid Fence again, I will do it on a calm day and always remember to wear cloths you can change right away and gloves.. the stuff works, but it is nasty smelling.   :yikes:

Our baby was born June 2nd, a little girl. She has reflux/colic whatever they call it now and starting to get a bit better, after putting her on meds and a couple of formula changes.  Hoping the Dr. can find the right mix to make her a bit more comfortable, she goes back to see Dr on Thursday!! 

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2009, 09:23:48 AM by yezitis »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #13 on: Jun 30, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »
Congratulations on the arrival of your granddaughter.  I hope the doctors figure out what is making her feel bad.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #14 on: Jun 30, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
Congrats on the baby!  My girl scout co-leader's son had reflux also.  They switched him to a super-expensive formula and gave him so meds which really seems to have made him a normal baby again. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #15 on: Jun 30, 2009, 05:23:49 PM »
on the new baby.

I'm having a problem with pill bugs too.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
Pill bugs, if they are the same as rolley-polleys, are good bugs and only eat dead/dying stuff.  They are big decomposers, which help build the soil.  Lindsay loves them and will collect them in a jar, swaddle them with leaves and carry her "babies" around.  She always puts them in the garden where "they can be happy and make more babies for me to play with." 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #17 on: Jun 30, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »
I used to think the same thing Sarah but that's what's been eating my cukes.  I finally looked online and found out that sometimes they do eat plants from the ground.  They will eat the root.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 06, 2009, 09:55:38 PM »
Donna, my daughter had "colic", also. Now it is called reflux, I think. Back when I had her, they prescribed paragoric. I don't think that is the case any longer... :grinnnn:

Jim is ready to break out the little and the big guns around here. Deer, rabbit, and crow are harvesting before we can... ::)

I don't worry when I see the sow/pill bugs. Most things that I have read just say that they areate(sp) the soil... :BigGrin:

Offline yezitis

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2009, 06:39:55 PM »
Thanks all for the congrats on the Baby!

Sorry I haven't been around, I have been helping my daughter with the baby, babysitting my other two grandkids and tending to a brother who was diagnosed with lung/bone cancer, it just never seems to end.

My daughter found something called Colic Calm for the baby and it is helping her alot! You can only buy this stuff over the net, it's all natural and seems to be doing the trick, after trying to many things, changing formulas, zantac and other things.  Dianna, I will tell her about paragoric too, she has been looking into anything that could possible help this poor little thing, it hurts to watch her throw up and know that acid is choking her :(

Well, I have no more pill bugs, slugs or anything where I put down the new stuff from ortho,  I have to find the name.  I now have little baby rabbits eating the newest marigolds I put in, I just can't seem to get those to grow this year!

I went to Chicago's Botanical Gardens   http://www.chicagobotanic.org/     today and will be back soon, all those that love their gardening would LOVE this place!!

Have a great weekend everyone!  We have had the best weather here this year, have not used the air conditioning the whole month of July and it seems like we might just get through the whole month without it!  YES!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal