Author Topic: Hoya- Krinkle Kurl or Hindu rope  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Liz

Hoya- Krinkle Kurl or Hindu rope
« on: Aug 08, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »
Would  anyone here  happen  to have  a  Hindu rope  Hoya? "krinkle  Kurl"  as it's  sometimes  known.
is  it  slow  growing?
Geeeeez I've had it  a couple of years  but  it  isn't  getting  any  bigger. The pot it's in  isn't  too large  for it  , it's  in the east window  with my other  hoyas  and they are doing  great,  but  this  one  just  doesn't  seem to want to grow.  I'm pretty  well  versed  on  my  house plants ,  I've  had  most of them  for  a  decade  or more,, but this  one  has me  baffled.
There isn't any problem with it health  wise,  It's heathy, with  strong  curling  variegated  leafs,,  it  just isn't  growing,  :unsure:.
 I could have looked it  up on line  that's true,,  but  I prefer  hearing someone's personal  experience with  them  as opposed to generalities.
Do you have  any thoughts  on this?
"An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself."
Charles  Dickens

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Hoya- Krinkle Kurl or Hindu rope
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2009, 07:01:36 PM »
I just purchased my first hoya. Well, I was sent a couple before as freebies in trades but promptly killed them off. I was looking at hindu rope but decided not to until I get my feet wet with the one I have.
Maybe Sarah (barleychown) will be able to help you out here soon. She is our expert in the houseplant area and many outdoor plants as well.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Liz

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »
I just purchased my first hoya. Well, I was sent a couple before as freebies in trades but promptly killed them off.

:shock:  Oh   Dear,, how sad.  You  probably  didn't  have it in the right  lighting and let it get  too  dry,,  They don't like to be  repotted  and you have to be  very very  careful to not  disturb the roots  at all.  If you have to repot   leave  the soil  around  the  roots  as much as possible  unless of  course  you have   insects  issues    even  then  gently  rinse  off  the roots  with  tepid  water.  I use  an orchid  mixed with coconut  fiber  a little  sand , and  house plant  soil.   They seems  to love  the  east  windows  getting  the morning  sun, and I keep  the  soil  moist but not  wet,    More  like a  well  wrung out  sponge is  the only  thing  that comes  to mind.
Much  Luck  with  your  new Hoya,  they are  worth  the wait  for  the blooms :grinnnn:

Maybe Sarah (barleychown) will be able to help you out here soon.

I  see  barleychown is  a moderator  here,, maybe she can give me some personal  in site  why  my Hindu  rope  isn't  growing,, yet remains  healthy, :unsure:
I  did  look up last night  the hindu rope hoya,, ( impatient person that I am)  apparently  it  requires  more  water  than    flat leafed  hoya's,
  and  a  touch more fertilizer ( more often  , not in strength),  I'll wait  a few more days  to see if  barleychown  has  advice,,  then  I'll proceed  with  what I found on the net.
Thank you  Tina  for  responding  :grinnnn:
"An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself."
Charles  Dickens

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2009, 07:29:50 PM »
Well, in my house my hoyas struggled for 2 years, until I placed them on the west side of the house, where they get positively baked with the afternoon sun. Since moving them to that window they have ringed the window twice, and have been in constant bloom.   :flower:

I looked for a picture of mine, but do not currently have one. When my camera returns home in the next day or two, I'll try to remember to post one.

So, my suggestion would be to try a window with a bit more sun.  :grinnnn:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Liz

« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »
Maybe  I  will for  the  Hindu.
  But  I  Won't  move  the  others  they  bloom  quite  often,  that  tells me  they are  happy  where they  are. 
   I've  learned My lesson  years  ago,,  when the  spurs are     budding  out  don't  move  them or water  them  the buds  will drop,  EEEEEEEEEEEEK..  and  they are  budding  up again.
I'll  give  the  Hindu  some west  light  for  a while  and see  what  happens.
Thanks  so Much  for  you're  input.
Charles  Dickens

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »
I'm happy to help. I don't really encourage mine to bloom in any way, I can't remember the last time I fertilized or re potted them, and I water when I remember to. Apparently they like the neglect.  :giggle:

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2009, 01:35:16 PM »
Do you guys put your Hindu ropes in direct sun light or indirect?  I just bought one and the labels says "bright, indirect light." 

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2009, 11:27:26 AM »
Mine gets indirect most of the day, with probably 2-3 hours of direct in late afternoon.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:22:19 PM »
Dianne has given me three hoyas. The first one, we didn't know what it was. I hung it on the porch. It got a lot of sunshine and bloomed. Then I read that they don't like the direct sun, but liked to be in a well lit area. I moved them a couple of times, but no bloomers yet.
This is me ->?

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2009, 06:41:39 PM »
Thanks!  I move it in every night but it's on the enclosed front porch - and gets all day of indirect sun.  The wall behind it is white, so it's very bright out there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal