Author Topic: Do It Yourself - "Living Wreath"  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Patty S

Do It Yourself - "Living Wreath"
« on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:50:47 PM »
In another thread here, Dianna had asked to see a pic of the hens & chicks wreath I had made for my Mother a couple years ago. I still have the pics of my "recipe" in PhotoBucket, so here's how I did it.  (Dianna, you should know by now that if you ask me what time it is, I'm going to tell you how clocks are made!)

Living Wreath Construction
A succulent wreath can be put together for next to nothing, so I think everyone should have one!  You can purchase frames for the project & spend a lot more money, but I'm a scrounger... it didn't take much effort to round up the things I needed. (I wanted a small wreath, for a small patio.)

First, you need something for a basic frame...

Then, a "cover" of some sort to hold all your work together as you build it, so that when it's hung, it won't all fall out!

If your garage is anything like mine, you can probably find wire cutters, pliers, fishing line, scissors & potting soil.  (If you dig deep enough, you might even find a plastic bow.)

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007, 09:00:46 PM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

Re: Do It Yourself - "Living Wreath"
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:51:54 PM »

Then you go yard sale shopping,

Pay your friends a visit & tell them about your project,

and find a kid who likes to do things for his Granny as much as he likes to climb trees.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:55:57 PM »
When you've recovered from all that scrounging, you'll need to get all those things together in the same place & get to work.

I cut the center out of the 50¢ bowl & bent the wire ends before laying the sheet moss inside.

Coconut fiber sheets will work just as well.  I like the sheet moss because it stays green & is available on most of the trees around here.

I cut the two inside circles away from the rest of the 10¢ "cover" before putting in the potting soil.  (Actually, the first time around I forgot about the cover, but then I had to take all the plants back out & do it over again!) 

The medium was lose enough to allow for stems & ends of succulents to be poked into it.  As I worked them in, I folded the sheet moss over the bare spots & wrapped the fishing line around the whole thing, catching bits of each plant to hold them firmly while they send roots down.

I wired the bow on to the back of the frame with a twisty tie, soaked the wreath overnight, then left it laying down for 2 or 3 weeks while the plants dug in.  The edge of the frame was enough to catch the head of a nail, for hanging.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007, 09:03:16 PM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Here's the picture Dianna asked to see!

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
Well Patty, I would never have thought about that. It's beautiful. You are so talented.

Bonnie
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2007, 12:56:49 PM by Dianna »
This is me ->?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 04:46:03 PM »
That wreath is neater than grits. I might have to try making one of them, myself!
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

littlebrat

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 01:36:58 AM »
That is sooo cool I am going to get my mom to make one with me in a week when I go back home... You can actually water it right? I know silly question cause its a "Living Wreath" but I meant with it hanging. Or do you have to take it down to water it?

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 12:45:14 PM »
That is so cool.....what a neat idea!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal