Gardening > Mystery Plants

Notta clue! - [Solved] Ixia rapunculoides (African Corn Lily)

(1/3) > >>

Patty S:
I keep waiting for these buds to open up, cuz I wanna know what the plant is called!  I've been watching it for a couple weeks now & it's finally starting to blossom.  I couldn't wait any longer to take a pic!

It comes from bulbs & the leaves are long & skinny... sorta like a Narcissus.  They'll open up to be full blossoms on really skinny, tall stalks that make you wonder how it can support the weight.

Last year they got trampled when a guy came to trim the hedge, so they were laying down & I didn't get a very good pic.  Nobody on GH could identify it. Here is what the blossoms will look like.

For some reason I think it's in the Lily family.

G-Mom:
Could this be it?

http://www.bloomingbulb.com/cartProductDetail.asp?ProductKey=1699&bulbs=Ixia&flower=Pink&parent=2601

Kind of looks like it  ;D

Karen

Tina:
Freesias, Patty.

Patty S:
Now that it's blossomed out, I'm torn between Karen's Ixia & Tina's Freesia! The description given on the link that Karen posted says, "These hybrids bloom from March through June, opening sprays of elegant flowers on straw-like stems in gleaming shades pink. Plants grow best in full sun and reach a height of 16 inches" ...but these are easily taller than 2 feet!

The only description I can find for Freesia says that they're very fragrant (especially the pink varieties), but mine aren't... & I can't find any good pics of Freesia!   (Do you have these flowers in your yard, Tina?)

The greenery they are leaning over the top of, are Shasta Daisy leaves.  The stems & leaves of this flower are tied up with the string (looks like a rectangle) that you can see in a couple of these pics.

Sorry the pics arent very clear... there was a breeze blowing when I took these, & it's hard to get those things to keep still, on the ends of those "straw-like stems"!   

Dianna:
I sure hope someone id's this flower. I want some of them blooming in my yard! Sure is pretty....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version