Author Topic: Chicken Adobo ~ a Filipino dish  (Read 1672 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Chicken Adobo ~ a Filipino dish
« on: Nov 05, 2009, 11:36:52 PM »
start with what ever kind of chicken (or any meat for that matter, it all tastes good cooked this way) in a boiler.

add onion and garlic.  if using fresh onion i use 1/2 to 1 depending on how much meat.  and a comparable amount of garlic (1/2-1 clove) pounded and chopped.  a couple bay leaves.  1-3 teaspoons of sugar.  1/3-1/2 c soy sauce, equal amount of vinegar.  add enough water to cover the meat.  bring to a boil, then simmer until tender.

will keep without refrigeration if most of the water is cooked off.  which i like if someone (like scott or matthew) forgets to put dinner away.  no waste :BigGrin:  and, it doesn't irritate my digestive track.

does not thicken, but does make a sort of glaze.  served over rice.

unless, you are like me and allergic to rice.  then, cut up the meat and make a sandwich.  or a burrito.  or whatever.  sometimes i just eat it plain.

and, yes, we often use the low sodium soy.  apple cider vinegar makes it taste better than white vinegar, but either works.  just don't use rice wine vinegar.  that is too strong.  can't think of anything i've missed.  also, cooking the vinegar, and adding the sugar, reduces the acidity of the vinegar (thinking of those with ulcers or other stomach problems).  i can eat it, even when i'm having problems.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Re: Chicken Adobo ~ a Filipino dish
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2009, 06:51:24 AM »
Thanks Jenn, we all eat alot of chicken here, sounds good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal